John Green

Started by Muse, January 27, 2012, 02:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

The best goddamn writer in the whole world, bar none. Go look him up.
Stop! Don't touch me there,
this is my private square!

Wolf Snare

1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Muse

Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska (2005), won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association, and made the ALA 2005 Top 10 Best Book for Young Adults. The film rights to Looking for Alaska were purchased by Paramount in 2005 and the movie scheduled to be released in 2013.

His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines (2006), was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, and may also be made into a movie in the future.

Green collaborated on a book with fellow young adult authors Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle called Let It Snow (2008), which contains three interconnected short stories that take place in the same small town on Christmas Eve during a massive snowstorm. The story that he penned is called "A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle". On November 27, 2009, the book reached number 10 on the New York Times bestseller list for paperback children's books.[4]

Green's third novel, Paper Towns, was released on October 16, 2008.[5] It debuted at number 5 on the New York Times bestseller list for children's books,[6] and the movie rights to Paper Towns have been optioned by Mandate Pictures and Mr. Mudd.[7] Green was hired to write the Paper Towns screenplay. On April 30, 2009, Paper Towns was awarded the 2009 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel[8] and the 2010 Corine Literature Prize.

Green collaborated with fellow young adult writer and friend David Levithan on a book entitled Will Grayson, Will Grayson,[9] which was released April 6, 2010.[10] John Green appeared on the sixty-first episode of Smart Mouths Podcast to discuss Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

That was for Kilk. My arguement has a base.

WS- He is a drama/comedy/romance writert. I know, I hate books in those genres (except really good comedy) and thought Id hate these too. But I am completely blown away.

Kilkenne

I don't understand how these accolades vault him into being the best author of all time ever.

But I am glad for you that you found something that you enjoy.

Also, when you copy Wikipedia, you should take out the brackets, then it doesn't look like you copied and pasted wikipedia. Also don't copy/paste from wikipedia.

Muse

You can't really have any opinion about whether or not my claim is validated unless you have directly read his books. If not, you have no true base for your arguement.

Ashyra Nightwing

"Colin Singleton is an anagram-loving seventeen year old boy who has become depressed because though he has maintained his status of a child prodigy, he has not yet become a "genius." He wishes to accomplish this goal by having a Eureka moment. As well as not being the genius he hopes to be, his girlfriend, Katherine 19 (over the span of his life, Colin has dated nineteen girls named Katherine, all spelled in that manner), recently dumped him. In these relationships, Colin remembers only the Katherine dumping him."

I'm sorry but this sounds kind of terrible - it might just be due to the poor writing of whoever made the wikipedia page, though

Moose

I eat soup with a teaspoon. Some people think that soup eating might be better with a tablespoon but I know better, it is best to savor this things. Besides, they don't know anyways. After all, cricket umpires and baseball umpires can't trade position on Tuesdays!
If you say muffins are the answer, then you are answering the right question.

Firetooth

I guarantee you, David Seamen is the best author of all time. Or maybe Katie Price.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Muse

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on January 27, 2012, 04:10:16 PM
"Colin Singleton is an anagram-loving seventeen year old boy who has become depressed because though he has maintained his status of a child prodigy, he has not yet become a "genius." He wishes to accomplish this goal by having a Eureka moment. As well as not being the genius he hopes to be, his girlfriend, Katherine 19 (over the span of his life, Colin has dated nineteen girls named Katherine, all spelled in that manner), recently dumped him. In these relationships, Colin remembers only the Katherine dumping him."

I'm sorry but this sounds kind of terrible - it might just be due to the poor writing of whoever made the wikipedia page, though

Oh my God..that's one of his best books and that summary sucks very very badly. That is not at all what it's like.

Colin is a child prodigy: reading from age 2, writing and speaking Latin from age 5. But he has two regrets: one, that he is a prodigy. As he says, all prodigies do is learn what others have discovered. geniuses do the discovering. His second is his fatal flaw to Katherines: not Cats, or Kitties, of Catherines, or Rynns, but Katherines. In his past, from third-grade up, he has dated 19 Katherines: and no others. His only friend is an overweight, Judge Judy-loving Muslim who has yet to enter college. When K XIX dumps him, he and his friend go on a road trip, seeking answers. And amybe, just maybe, Colin will discover some.

Wolf Snare

I'm reading Hawthorne's Scarlet letter atm but heck, I'll give it a shot
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Genevieve

That book doesn't sound great, Muse, but I guess you probably relate to it because you see yourself as a child prodigy.

Muse

Are you serious? Me, a child prodigy? ffffssssssshhhhhhhhhghhhhhhit right. I can relate to it becaus we all want to do more in life than we could ever do. Or at least I do. And thanks WS for actually being willing to try the book before he criticizes it. But I recommend either reading The Fault In Our Stars or Looking For Alaska first.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteColin is a child prodigy: reading from age 2, writing and speaking Latin from age 5. But he has two regrets: one, that he is a prodigy. As he says, all prodigies do is learn what others have discovered. geniuses do the discovering. His second is his fatal flaw to Katherines: not Cats, or Kitties, of Catherines, or Rynns, but Katherines. In his past, from third-grade up, he has dated 19 Katherines: and no others. His only friend is an overweight, Judge Judy-loving Muslim who has yet to enter college. When K XIX dumps him, he and his friend go on a road trip, seeking answers. And amybe, just maybe, Colin will discover some.

The book still sounds pretty terrible.

William Shakespeare is the best author ever. Period. He founded the entire modern English literary tradition.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Holby

Not sure if you're still around, Muse, but thought I'd reply anyway.

I read Looking for Alaska and an Abundance of Katherines on your recommendation.

I read about the Katherines first, which turned out to be a mistake. It's not really a good book. I mean, there are a few witty lines here and there, but it's really just playing off on the whole "nobody understands genius loser" thing. It's semi-enjoyable to read.

Then I read Looking for Alaska (because I'd downloaded them both at the same time), and I was really impressed. It didn't try as hard to be witty, and I thought the themes were relevant and handled really well. It's a powerful book, I think. I understand why you like the author.

In many ways, they're very similar, though.

They're both about tall, misunderstood, loserish teenage boys, who then meet powerful, confident teenage girls who change their lives. They also each have a sidekick (Hassan, the Colonel), and an unusual quirk (anagrams, last words).

I mean, all that's OK... It just seems way too samey same.

Do the other books follow a similar formula?

I will not deleted this

Muse

Not exactly. I have noticed his stereotype. Nerd boy finds awesome girl, changes life/.
Read the Fault in our Stars.
It is romantic, but a girl is the main character, she's no nerd, and she and the love interest have cancer. It's very powerful.
I'm glad you took my recommendations, and I can see your point about aAoK.
Paper Towns is a bit alike, but there's no one sidekick, and the boy has no quirks. Not as good, but still powerful.