3.0: Coming to a Turbo Near You (here's an overview)

Started by Kilkenne, January 26, 2012, 05:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

signups seem to be open. Windy is doing some mostly cosmetic stuff, but it should be fine to go ahead now.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Kilkenne

Bumping this because it got buried under terrible threads about last round, and people are already asking after it.

Kilkenne

Double posting like it's my job: If you guys want help, (multiple people have talked to me in-game), see if you can't take a screenshot of your Army Status screen for me, or at least copy/paste the data to me in a form that will be readable.

To take a screenshot, hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard, then open MSpaint, and hit ctrl+V, and you will then have an image of your browser and the numbers within, and I'll be able to see what's goin' on in your horde. Be sure, if you are going to send it to me, to save the image then as a .png or .jpg and upload it to imageshack.us

If you do this, PM it to me, don't post it here. I won't exploit your information for personal gain, and probably will stop playing this round at some point soon if enough people need help (I don't want to beat people up that need help, and I only have a finite amount of time to devote to the game).

Or send it to Shadow because he also likes questions. He is watching everyone's things from his admin account and monitoring the day to day goings-on. As I don't have an admin account, this is my way of doing a thing.

Death

Is there any kind soul willing to translate this into Valhallan for me?

Durza

What you know no longer applies.  Workers have a role now.  Gone is the pure strat.  Now is the time for experimentation.

Kilk is just saying how you can contact him for help understanding the new layout.
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Death

All I need are term translations.

Workers are... peasants where I come from I guess? So you need peasants in order to keep production up, the building that increases peasants... this sounds like labor from Valhall Strategy somewhat if I am guessing right. That is a really nice feature.

Shadow

everything holds workers (peasants), though different numbers.

Everything also comes from peasants: when you train armies, peasants are lost and some turn into armies and leaders. They also provide the basis for your economy (though markets and foragers also help by making cash and food each turn regardless of workers).

This means that building a lot of barracks or huts depresses your economy as workers get conscripted, etc.

Never build 100% of anything, it won't work.

Death

Sounds like cashing just got a lot more involved and fun.

Rakefur

It's more than a nice feature. It's a whole new way of life. And to think this was all my idea.....oh the sweetness.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Shadow

Quote from: Death on January 30, 2012, 08:30:10 PM
Sounds like cashing just got a lot more involved and fun.

That's my hope. I'm also hoping that the game is a little more intuitive and easy to get into initially (seriously, since when was building all huts and running in the red for both food and cash newbie friendly?) while also being quite difficult to master.

Also note the economic settings in manage army - you can tell your workers to focus their efforts in a particular area. These also affect markets and foragers though, so if you set things to make 100% cash, then don't waste land on foragers and vice versa.

Shadow

if you take shame losses for attacking a weak opponent, it will also cause workers to desert now

also note that workers have been added to the status bar

Wolf Snare

I like that workers have been added to the statusbar, good call. Did you play with the consumption rates and costs of troops? it seems like they may be a little heavier than previous. I wouldn't say overbearing, but they could definitely be tweaked a bit.
I'm not sure if anyone's tested yet, but I think leaders need to be assessed for consumption rates too-- if we want to encourage use, there should be a bit more incentive than breaking even imo.

So far, so good though Shads. Definitely more intuitive like you intended. The tax rates and food/cash ratio may throw off some people, but cause and effect eliminates any confusion.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

I upped the cash consumption of leaders, but nothing else

you could be right that they are too expensive - they are cost effective, but not as much as would be ideal. I will probably cut their consumption in cash tomorrow.

Wolf Snare

ah, that's likely been what's slowing me down a bit. Alright, cheers.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Peace Alliance

The leader consumption rate just makes it difficult to keep a big army. Might be a necessary challenge. But it does seem like a bit of a catch 22 sometimes, you need huts for loyalty, but the leaders chew through what the loyalty produces. I've been running with high huts, then dropping them down the the minimum when I spend the loyalty.