3 (14.3%)
'49ers
3 (14.3%)
I don't know and I don't care
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 05, 2012, 10:31:41 AM

Peace Alliance

I have no clue why i keep visiting this topic. I really couldn't care less about American football... Or really any football that I'm not personally on the field (please note the last time I played football was almost exactly 10 years ago, that is an indication about how little time I spend caring about the sport). None-the-less, it's apparently fun to hear people talk about sports.

from a sociological perspective (ahhhahaha) sports are just a modern alternative to war - since they arose when there was a decline in war (even though wars still go on, they only involve like 3% of the population. They used to involve everyone). So the "seriousness" of sports, and the expectations you place on young men on the field is similar to the high stakes involved in warfare. This fellow failed to make an easy kick. That's not a big deal in most social contexts, but if you fail to perform on the battlefield you will die. So when Kilk talks about the "nature of sports," I think he is actually talking about the residual war-faring culture of the America's.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThe world is a fair place, Volkov, it's why you are presently working in a laboratory using atomized kitten farts in a (successful) attempt to biologically treat cancer.

LOL.

Quotefrom a sociological perspective (ahhhahaha) sports are just a modern alternative to war - since they arose when there was a decline in war (even though wars still go on, they only involve like 3% of the population. They used to involve everyone). So the "seriousness" of sports, and the expectations you place on young men on the field is similar to the high stakes involved in warfare. This fellow failed to make an easy kick. That's not a big deal in most social contexts, but if you fail to perform on the battlefield you will die. So when Kilk talks about the "nature of sports," I think he is actually talking about the residual war-faring culture of the America's.

This is hogwash. Sociology is hogwash.

From a biological perspective, sports are important to people because they play on man's innate competitive nature. Sports teams almost become an extension of the tribe or family. For some fans, they even approach the level of religion. Brain scans have shown that the same areas of the brain that activate when most people think about God are activated in the brains of some sports fans when they think about their teams. This is particularly prevalent in Cubs fans. But I digress. Anyway, the reason sports fans get so worked up about sports is because it activates the same emotional centers that normally activate in response to thoughts of family. So when a person's team fails, its like a member of the family has failed, and that produces a lot more emotion than it would in a normal context.

I suppose there is also the outrage factor, that these multi-million dollar athletes aren't doing their job, but will still get paid.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

Hahaha, God is a section of the brain is he? Man your perspective on life is depressing!

That said, I agree with everything this so-called "biologoy" has to say about sports. It does not conflict with what I said. In fact if you look into the sociological study of sports you'll see many papers comparing it to religion. Though, we don't always use brain scans for that, since we have the ability to understand social behaviors without them.

Also what's with the outrage about their salary? Didn't you vote republican last time? Haven't you been supporting a political system that cherishes the rich? Were you this upset when the banks failed to do their job? Because they make lots more. In other words if you're not supporting Ron Paul right now you are totally not allowed to complain about salaries!

Kilkenne

What does..what. He isn't complaining that the guy is paid. He's complaining that he failed on his duties that he was paid to do. You are trying to turn this from a convoluted religious point into a convoluted political point. It is sports, it is neither of those things.

Raggon

Hmmm... Maybe this should be in the UMD.
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Peace Alliance

noooo, if it were in UMD I would have to post intelligibly...

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: Peace AllianceHahaha, God is a section of the brain is he? Man your perspective on life is depressing!

There is a certain region of the brain that activates when one things about religion and god, and using electrical fields, scientists have induced religious experiences. Like seeing angels and stuff. It's not depressing, it's interesting.

That said, I agree with everything this so-called "biologoy" has to say about sports. It does not conflict with what I said. In fact if you look into the sociological study of sports you'll see many papers comparing it to religion. Though, we don't always use brain scans for that, since we have the ability to understand social behaviors without them.

If you aren't looking at how the organism functions, you are just guessing. This is why sociology is hogwash. I don't care what the sociological studies say, because sociology is bunk. Pseudoscience. Uneducated guessing, or maybe over-educated guessing.

QuoteAlso what's with the outrage about their salary? Didn't you vote republican last time? Haven't you been supporting a political system that cherishes the rich? Were you this upset when the banks failed to do their job? Because they make lots more. In other words if you're not supporting Ron Paul right now you are totally not allowed to complain about salaries!

Uh... what? Like kilk said, I'm upset that they aren't doing their jobs. If they do their jobs, then by all means, pay them millions of dollars. They are important pieces in a multi-billion dollar business.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Shadow Assassin

Err 49ers? Giants?  Ohh your talking about that funny sport when you through the ball and then run into someone.
Go the 49ers!!

Gen. Volkov

Is English your first language? Not to be mean or anything, but that post is so horrible, even after you edited it, that I have to wonder.

I'm guessing you meant to say this:

Err 49ers? Giants?  Ohh Oh... your you're talking about that funny sport when where you through throw the ball and then run into someone.
Go the 49ers!!

Shadow Assassin

Its 15 past one I've had a 5 hour car trip and I'm on my phone so every time I push 1 button I hit another.
But yea that is what I ment to say

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIts 15 past one I've had a 5 hour car trip and I'm on my phone so every time I push 1 button I hit another.

Perhaps you shouldn't phonepost then.

Briar

There is nothing wrong with posting ohh.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Peace Alliance

I am PRO phoneposting.

Rakefur

Go Pats Go Pats Go Pats.

I will not be watching it this year much to my displeasure.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Raggon

Quote from: Peace Alliance on January 29, 2012, 08:59:19 PM
I am PRO phoneposting.

Does that mean you are an expert at phoneposting, or that you are for it? I agree to the latter, but you can't consider me to be a pro at it.  ;)
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?