Should I start a Kickstarter for RWL?

Started by Peace Alliance, November 24, 2011, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I raise money so I can work on RWL?

Yes
9 (60%)
No
5 (33.3%)
Other
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Peace Alliance

I always want to make RWL better. I have 1000 idea's, and most of them I could do! Over the years I have been getting the hang of PHP (which is the scripting language RWL is built with), I have become a pro with most aspects of web design, and I am starting to study user interface at university. I could make RWL awesome.

Thing is... I don't have the time. Between school, work, and family my time is spent. But I could do it if i eliminated something from that list. I can't eliminate my family (I grew attached to them, dangitall), I don't want to eliminate school, but I wouldn't mind quitting my job. That would free up my time, but it would leave a big whole in my budget. But if we filled that whole (with money) then I would be free to work on RWL!

For those of you who don't know, kickstarter.com  allows you to raise money for a project. RWL has had a steady 50 [edit: closer to 70 these days] players for the last 4 years. That number would grow substantially if we revamped the game (RWL could run on mobiles, sync with facebook, etc). So I could start a kickstarter and you guys could raise money for me to devote my time to RWL. If i raised enough that I could ditch my job(s), then I totally would. But it would have to be a decent amount of money for me to be able to ditch my job(s).

OH, BTW here is my latest UI design for RWL. I make designs for RWL all the time because I love UI and pixel pushing calms me down when I'm stressed, haha.

Rakefur

I like the chat feature. That should definitely become even if this doesn't go through.

But sorry, I'm not my own master :'(
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Sharptooh

YES YES YES

I would commit money to it  :) (although not much, I'm pretty broke atm too) and I'm sure other people would

And I love that design! You never cease to amaze me PA :D I also don't find it surprising that you're studying user interfaces at university, you're designs in the time I've been here have always been amazing!

Quote from: Peace Alliance on November 24, 2011, 11:36:05 AM
Over the years I have been getting the hang of PHP (which is the scripting language RWL is built with)

Me too, I've found:
http://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/

Very helpful

Peace Alliance

Yes, but more specifically I'm studying sociology of technology (just getting into that) and what fascinates me the most is user experience on the web. I'm not doing any visual design stuff, that is just a hobby. 

Sharptooh

Quote from: Peace Alliance on November 24, 2011, 11:44:46 AM
Yes, but more specifically I'm studying sociology of technology (just getting into that) and what fascinates me the most is user experience on the web. I'm not doing any visual design stuff, that is just a hobby.  

I've always found how user experience on the web evolves so quickly interesting . . . if I went back in 10 years time I'm sure I'd cringe at the number of table animated gifs, over use of flash, frame sets, etc. being used >.< and be surprised at the under-use of JavaScript

Peace Alliance

All of which can be explained when you look at browser design, screen quality and resolution, how users interpreted the internet, what it was used for... It's really something I enjoy studying.

Uiblis

I like that design. Looks clean and easy to use.

Peace, how much would you need in donations?
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Rakefur

(just between you and me...), bright colors = newb friendly. Just an FYI.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Pippin

nice layout though for some of the older members it could be a bit too structured (improvement on the current though)

never heard of a kickstarter, what is it?
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Shadow

You made that chat up that doesn't even sound like me.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Shadow on November 24, 2011, 01:49:14 PM
You made that chat up that doesn't even sound like me.
D'aw well I definitely have me'n Volkov down pat.

Kickstarter is a website where you can promote your project and people put money towards it. It can be for any project, people have new products, music albums, documentaries, charities, etc.

Shadow Assassin

Pippin

while its stile a very generous thing to do i dont think sacrificing income that can support your child would be a good idea

then again i dont know much about these kickstarts

weekends if you have any spare time or even if you work part time to let kickstart pay for a day off you might be able to get work done
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Durza

With the economy in the state its in, I would say not to expect much and to keep your job.  work when you can, and it will reach the goal.  I like Pippin's idea
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Peace Alliance

Haha, no, it would never happen in my spare time.