The killings

Started by Sharptooh, October 11, 2011, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

Quote from: windhound on October 11, 2011, 01:25:38 PM
I'd rather make the assumption that the people here are decent and would rather welcome newbies than smash them into the ground.
Ryu and those defending random kills are making this hard.

I'm not defending him, or random kills on newer players, I was just suggesting that news kills might have some unneeded stigma attached to them, although like you said looking at the scores kind of kills that theory, besides which you have more experience of such things than I do.

And whilst I agree Ryu's behavious of late has been a bit detrimental to the community . . . you can't ban him for killing people, I'm afraid it's part of the game  :-\

Pippin

Quote from: windhound on October 11, 2011, 01:25:38 PM
Ryu and those defending random kills are making this hard.

i'd just like to say im not condoning noob killing at all or even random kills, i just said it was remotely funny for the fact it was unexpected and killing is usually good fun.

1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Sharptooh

Woa!

You're new avi freaked me out for a moment Pip  :D

Pippin

sadly i dont have mutton chops :(
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
3. wrecking balls (#9)
1. Nazgul (#5)

Uiblis

Personally I disagree with sharptooth;

Newbie kills are completely useless and do not, in my opinion, stir up a nest of evil, vindictive thoughts.

In my experience, when I first started playing RWL, it seemed extremely complicated and annoying because of the attacks, different actions, not having enough resources, etc.

I did fairly well soon after I started ie created some net and resources. Eventually I got better at playing. However, if I was killed around that stage when I began doing well, the sense of extreme frustration would probably have discouraged me from continuing.

Look at Chopin's Nocturne. He was doing fairly well assuming he was a brand new player. It takes awhile for a new player to adjust to the whole environment/textbased game thing, but just taking all that progress away and the annoyance that comes with starting all over will dishearten a lot of people.

While killing is part of the game, it is often stressed in RWL that killing someone is not a customary practice. Kills take turns and resources, and the killed person, if they are new players or just out of protection or something, are not harmed much. Kills are mostly done if you've got some huge grudge or rivalry going.

So Ryu is killing for fun, which isn't usually done, and doesn't help him or the person he's killing. If he wants to kill for fun, then surely something other than a text-based game would be far more entertaining.

I like windys analogies. They're funny and fairly accurate. lol.

I'd like to hear Ryu's thoughts. Especially because it adds to his post count :)
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

The Lady Shael

Ryu, ALL of the players you killed were newbies, first-time players. Low net and inactivity are not the same thing.

I'm sorry, but I have no patience and no tolerance for anyone who thinks it's fun to kill new players and discourage them from playing the game. There is nothing to be gained by killing new players, whether you think they're inactive or not. Instead, we lose a part of our potential playerbase.

The "last online" bit only records the last time the player used a turn, not the last time they logged in. Just because they aren't using any turns doesn't mean they won't try to come back and learn a bit more about the game.

This attitude is exactly why all the other promisances are dead.

[edit]

Most newbies are already discouraged by all the menu options just from logging in. Imagine how they feel after logging in and seeing someone attacked them and killed them. If they see how seemingly quickly they died, they won't bother coming back. They'll just reason that this game is not worth taking the time to learn.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Uiblis on October 11, 2011, 03:15:23 PM
Personally I disagree with sharptooth;

Newbie kills are completely useless and do not, in my opinion, stir up a nest of evil, vindictive thoughts.

In my experience, when I first started playing RWL, it seemed extremely complicated and annoying because of the attacks, different actions, not having enough resources, etc.

Give me a break, I barely remember my time as a n00b  :P

Like others I think it's really time for Ryu to post here and try and Justify (if he can) why he did this, it's gone too far.

Preußen

Look at Chopin's Nocturne. He was doing fairly well assuming he was a brand new player.

I've played...two rounds? Is that new?

Well, I guess I kind of deserved it. Apparently, sacks against enemy leader players are very bad.

Uiblis

Quote from: Preußen on October 11, 2011, 03:54:51 PM
Well, I guess I kind of deserved it. Apparently, sacks against enemy leader players are very bad.

You are Nocturne? I didn't know. You're...fairly new, but you know how to play. No wonder I thought that person was doing well :)
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Sharptooh

Yeah, he killed me off for around 20 murders earlier in the round . . .

Shame he killed you, from what I could gather you were doing pretty well up until now.

Preußen

Quote from: Uiblis on October 11, 2011, 03:55:54 PM

You are Nocturne? I didn't know. You're...fairly new, but you know how to play. No wonder I thought that person was doing well :)

Yup. Firetooth is a good teacher :D

All he told me to do was sack, get as much land as possible, build barracks and foragers, and aid it all off. It works pretty well.

Pippin

Quote from: Preußen on October 11, 2011, 03:56:55 PM
Quote from: Uiblis on October 11, 2011, 03:55:54 PM

Yup. Firetooth is a good teacher :D

All he told me to do was sack, get as much land as possible, build barracks and foragers, and aid it all off. It works pretty well.

whats firetooth got you doing hmm!
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
3. wrecking balls (#9)
1. Nazgul (#5)

Preußen

Quote from: Pippin on October 11, 2011, 04:14:32 PM
whats firetooth got you doing hmm!

That's only to clan buddies. i don't know who firetooth is in turbo right now

windhound

Look at Chopin's Nocturne. He was doing fairly well assuming he was a brand new player.

I've played...two rounds? Is that new?

Negative.  I've been sacked all round, as have most other leader players.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Pippin

i've been sacking all round but i warn people against sacking me.

some could say double standards, but if your forceful enough and got turns to waste hitting back why not?
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
3. wrecking balls (#9)
1. Nazgul (#5)