RWL needs new players!

Started by Blood Wake, October 07, 2011, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIs it because you're so old?

No, it's because Twitter can make the most erudite, intelligent, well spoken person sound like a blithering idiot.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Genevieve

If someone sounds like a blithering idiot when they're confined to 140 characters, then they are probably not the most erudite, intelligent, well spoken person.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIf someone sounds like a blithering idiot when they're confined to 140 characters, then they are probably not the most erudite, intelligent, well spoken person.

First off, some ideas take more than 140 characters to express, and if you are forced to shorten, you come off sounding stupid. Secondly, the very mechanisms of Twitter itself, like @(twitter name) or #(something), force anyone to sound like a retard.

Oh, and also anything that has Lady Gaga ranked at #1 most followers is terrible by definition. Particularly when she, Justin Bieber, and Katy Perry have more followers than the President of the United States. The whole thing is like a referendum on the idiocy and illiteracy of America. As well as a terrible lack of perspective about what is important. I refuse to have anything to do with it.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Holby

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on October 10, 2011, 02:43:42 AM
QuoteIf someone sounds like a blithering idiot when they're confined to 140 characters, then they are probably not the most erudite, intelligent, well spoken person.

First off, some ideas take more than 140 characters to express, and if you are forced to shorten, you come off sounding stupid. Secondly, the very mechanisms of Twitter itself, like @(twitter name) or #(something), force anyone to sound like a retard.

Oh, and also anything that has Lady Gaga ranked at #1 most followers is terrible by definition. Particularly when she, Justin Bieber, and Katy Perry have more followers than the President of the United States. The whole thing is like a referendum on the idiocy and illiteracy of America. As well as a terrible lack of perspective about what is important. I refuse to have anything to do with it.
What a load of nonsense.

Anyone who takes many words to say a single thing has no business writing at all. Twitter is not for essays, it's for snippets of information and delightful witticisms.

Popularity is not a reflection of the worth of any one individual. Who gives a darn if Katy Perry has more followers than the President? There are probably more pop music lovers than regular voters in the U-S. That's a reflection of society, not social media. You may as well declare there's no point to life at all if so many people like so many trivial things. (K, you could actually argue that point. But that would make you a grumpus.)
I will not deleted this

Shadow

Eh, I think Blood Wake's idea is a good one for getting new players without paying for ads. It's just rather time-consuming.

I encourage all of the younger members to try it out for a while.

That said, I really don't appreciate being guilt-tripped into anything. I am petty enough that I will often not do what is suggested out of spite, even if it is a good idea, when someone tries to guilt trip me.

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Lady Shael

I think it's a good idea, and I really appreciate all the advertising you've been doing for us, Blood Wake. :)

I think the Facebook ads have been worth the money spent though. I don't leave it on all the time, just for several days at a time during slow periods, and we usually get about 10 signups a day with the ad running (the number of active players on Reg averages around the 80s). Out of those people, maybe 1 or 2 linger, which is a lot for our small playerbase. A lot of the active younger members here actually got here through the Facebook ad.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteWhat a load of nonsense.

Anyone who takes many words to say a single thing has no business writing at all. Twitter is not for essays, it's for snippets of information and delightful witticisms.

Again, some things take more than 140 characters to say. Having to do so does not make you a bad writer. Oh, and from what I've seen, Twitter is for people making fools of themselves.

QuotePopularity is not a reflection of the worth of any one individual.

What a load of nonsense. That is the basis for democracy. The more popular guy wins.

QuoteWho gives a [darn] if Katy Perry has more followers than the President? There are probably more pop music lovers than regular voters in the U-S. That's a reflection of society, not social media.

That was my point. Twitter is a reflection of everything that is bad about American culture and society, and the way Twitter functions actively promotes it.

You may as well declare there's no point to life at all if so many people like so many trivial things. (K, you could actually argue that point. But that would make you a grumpus.)

Well there is no point to life, because nearly everyone sucks. Doesn't mean I'm going to commit suicide, but I am a cynic. Anyway, according to you and everyone else, I am a grumpus.

Rakefur

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 07, 2011, 04:38:27 PM
I send a message when ever I see a new guy on and I think that helps them stay, a lot of the poeple in my clan were people I messaged.
I really think this helps a lot. I think that if someone messages them, they see how nice we are (haha, right  :P) and they are more likely to stay. 
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Shadow Assassin

I think what we need to do is get on some game websites like Miniclip and Armour games and websites like that.
We would get a lot of people from those websites because e a lot of people use them.

Uiblis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 11, 2011, 06:33:40 PM
I think what we need to do is get on some game websites like Miniclip and Armour games and websites like that.
We would get a lot of people from those websites because e a lot of people use them.

Think about it; those sites host and take submitted games because they want people to visit their site.
But RWL isn't even a flash game, and not many people know about it.

I'd think even putting ads on sites like that would be expensive.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Blood Wake

If one day of FB ads gets you that much hits, then I'm going to say it's worth the money. Haha. Well done!
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Dark Claws

How to expand RWL? Hmm.
Let's look at one of the main problems: Our community grows at a slow rate. people join and leave quickly. What do we do? The amount of active new players we get would be sufficient to be enough new players. We need to find a way to keep them here. Two main reasons why people leave: RWL seems to hard for them or RWL seems to boring for them. We've tried mentors, we've tried training clans. We need new tactics. An old forum discussion talked about using a youtube video to help new players. Why don't we also add that in the factor and seriously discuss it?
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Kilkenne

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on October 10, 2011, 02:43:42 AM

This isn't the point of twitter. The point of Twitter is for me to be able to force people like the lead man of smash mouth to eat eggs (he didn't eat all the eggs). Also to talk about bodyslamming toddlers at Denny's.

Rakefur

Quote from: Dark Claws on October 13, 2011, 06:53:30 PM
How to expand RWL? Hmm.
Let's look at one of the main problems: Our community grows at a slow rate. people join and leave quickly. What do we do? The amount of active new players we get would be sufficient to be enough new players. We need to find a way to keep them here. Two main reasons why people leave: RWL seems to hard for them or RWL seems to boring for them. We've tried mentors, we've tried training clans. We need new tactics. An old forum discussion talked about using a youtube video to help new players. Why don't we also add that in the factor and seriously discuss it?
I like that idea.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThis isn't the point of twitter. The point of Twitter is for me to be able to force people like the lead man of smash mouth to eat eggs (he didn't eat all the eggs). Also to talk about bodyslamming toddlers at Denny's.

LOL.