RIP Steve Jobs

Started by The Lady Shael, October 05, 2011, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I'm just bummed right now, seriously. :( I'm not an Apple fangirl or anything, but I do own an iPhone and you really can't deny it's a result of genius and someone who knew what he was doing.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

windhound

That's really too bad
Guy had an amazing career, ended too soon.

Fortunately (I guess) it was clear he knew the end was neigh, and he slowly transitioned out of Apple - leaving his company in what seems to be capable hands. 

Quick bio (I suspect wikipedia will get vandalized a bit) - http://www.biography.com/people/steve-jobs-9354805

http://www.apple.com/
http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ashyra Nightwing

Just heard about this, pretty sad. R.I.P.

The Lady Shael

Reading about his career development and at how young he accomplished all those things really makes me feel like I haven't done anything. =| I feel guilty sitting on my bed doing nothing and moping.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Gen. Volkov

Somehow the fact that he was a college dropout does not give me much consolation. LOL.

RIP Steve.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Genevieve

:( I will wear a black turtle neck in mourning.

Etendue

...Never really liked apple, but Steve Jobs' death is a huge blow to the tech industry. I can't deny that his life was well spent though.
Why can't I stay away from this game?

"You're kidding me. Did you just stuff that Aperture Science Thing-We-Don't-Know-What-It-Does into an Aperture Science Emergency Intelligence Incinerator?" ~GLaDOS

Uiblis

I have an Ipad; while I don't really use it, it is a fascinating and ingenious piece of technology. Though he died, I'm sure the company already has quite a few more ideas to unveil. He was pretty smart, even though my Ipad, when used, is solely for entertainment purposes.

RIP Steve Jobs.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Firetooth

Dislike apple as a company now, but you can't deny that they revolutionized the handheld industry, even if now their idea of improving is adding a bigger screen or whatever nonsense.

Either way, he got his company to become 2nd biggest in the world in what, 10 years? The impact he has had on how people interact and spend their time has been huge. RIP to Steve Jobs, he was a great man.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

He was a great man in many ways and it's quite sad that he passed away at a relatively young age :(

I know I'm also not too fond of apple but he did great things there, he turned the company around from a dead beat wreck on the verge of bankruptcy to the second most valuable company in a little over a decade.

He also had amazing vision and was incredibly insightful.

- posted from my iPod

windhound

Market wise, they're #1 Firetooth
Apple surpassed Exxon in market cap - realistically doesn't mean much, but its an interesting metric.
Edit: wikipedia says ranked 3 now, but in aug. they did surpass exxon

And speaking of Apple, its not just the handhelds they revolutionized
The Apple II was the first mass produced personal computer
Quick timeline - http://www.npr.org/2011/08/26/139952936/steve-jobs-the-man-at-apples-core

iTunes is the largest seller of music in the US, surpassing Walmart in 2008 - and iTunes helped launch music downloads.

Apple has an interesting history
And if not for Steve Jobs, we wouldn't have Pixar as it is today.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Firetooth

Quote from: windhound on October 06, 2011, 10:41:35 AM

Edit: wikipedia says ranked 3 now, but in aug. they did surpass exxon

So assuming that's right, we're both wrong? :P

Either way, 3rd biggest is still huge, and the biggest, well obviously giant. I don't know much of Steve Jobs involvement in Pixar, but that just adds to the respect I have for him. Edit: Apparently he was CEO of Pixar, nice.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

Thought this was an amazing quote by him:

QuoteRemembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Rakefur

Wow, that's really deep.  :(
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Gen. Volkov

QuoteMarket wise, they're #1 Firetooth
Apple surpassed Exxon in market cap - realistically doesn't mean much, but its an interesting metric.

Number one most valuable company, but not the biggest by sales. IBM crushes everyone in that category. They have been the worlds biggest computer/software company for decades, in terms of sales. Apple is close to pulling even with Microsoft in sales. Microsoft still dominates the personal computer and software market, I think. Most of Apple's growth has been from stuff like the iPhone and iPad.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES