Awesome Movies from your childhood that really aren't that awesome anymore

Started by Holby, August 11, 2011, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkenne

I never saw any of the Harry Potter films. Were they all awful?

Holby

Just the first five are bad. The last three are good.

And all of the books are still good! So hah!
I will not deleted this

Neobaron

Are they any different from the movies? I was never allowed to read them and by the time i got to a point where I could acquire and hide a thing on my own, the big craze had passed.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Shadow

The movies follow fairly closely the story, though they changed a few important plot points at the end.

Also the ending of the last movie made me want to shoot the director and myself, in roughly that order.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Kilkenne

I'd imagine that they can't squeeze all the bits and pieces of a thousand-plus page book into a film.

Genevieve

Quote from: Shadow on August 11, 2011, 10:01:21 AM
Also the ending of the last movie made me want to shoot the director and myself, in roughly that order.

Ditto, but wasn't that bit in the book too?

Holby

Quote from: Genevieve on August 11, 2011, 10:03:53 AM

Yeah, and it was just as awful! I just pretend it never happened.
I will not deleted this

Genevieve

Firetooth

The movies follow fairly closely the story, though they changed a few important plot points at the end.

Also the ending of the last movie made me want to shoot the director and myself, in that order.
Yeah, the stories are fairly similar but the books more detailed.

Haven't seen any films past the 5th one, nearly everybody else I've know has seen the last one. I just don't see the appeal paying to see an adaption of a book I've read that probably isn't that good. (all the other films got rave reviews iirc, and I didn't like them much, so I discard the reviews)

Best book to film adaption is definitely lord of the rings.

I dunno if the books are nearly as good as everybody says. I enjoyed the 3rd one a bunch, but reading the last two was such a chore. There are far better book series that receive far less credit.

Quote from: Genevieve on August 11, 2011, 10:03:53 AM

If you mean the only part I can think of that would make you want to commit suicide, most probably. The books had a disappointing, disappointing ending.

The romance aspect of the books always sucked.

Quote from: Kilkenne on August 11, 2011, 10:02:27 AM
I'd imagine that they can't squeeze all the bits and pieces of a thousand-plus page book into a film.
Yeah, but they did weird stuff like add in scenes that served no purpose. I've heard they added in a scene in the sixth film that was meant to be in the 7th. :-\

Also, the best character is Neville.  :D
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Kilkenne

Did she get ugly? I always imagined her as kind of ugly, and wondered why Harry didn't go after Hermione. That's the obvious romance interest, and then Ron could have been some sort of vengeful hermit. Ron basically bungs up everything he does anyhow without massive outside help.

Also, Lord of the Rings is pretty okay, I still like Game of Thrones as the best adaptation because it's long enough that it doesn't miss really important plot points, like LotR does (due to the fact that they had to make it digestible in 3 hour bits and even that was pushing it)

Neobaron

I'm p sure the best character is whichever one David Tennant played.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Genevieve

Quote from: Kilkenne on August 11, 2011, 10:08:29 AM
Did she get ugly? I always imagined her as kind of ugly, and wondered why Harry didn't go after Hermione.

This. Or Cho Chang. Asians age well and make pretty babies.

Holby

Quote from: Firetooth on August 11, 2011, 10:06:53 AM

The romance aspect of the books always sucked.

You're forgetting Cho Chang. She was COOL.

None of the first five movies ever received rave reviews, I think it was more mixed - positive. Certainly no "wow, this is amazing". They've always been flawed. But they did a much better job with the last few.

HP was a good book series, and yes, there are also lots of other good book series that aren't as popular. That shouldn't detract from Harry Potter, though.

-EDIT- When I hit "post", I got a "3 new posts" warning. But I PUSHED THE BUTTON ANYWAY. Now I seem irrelevant. Good one guys.
I will not deleted this

Kilkenne

All I recall from Cho Chang in the books is that she constantly cried about everything.