WINDOWS

Started by Sharptooh, June 18, 2011, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

yes, of course I do. But I can forgive them because I haven't needed a replacement since I bought the laptop more than three years ago.  The adapter is rather well designed, and quite durable. The charger on that shuffle was begging to get broken.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Its a 3.5mm headphone jack with a usb cable on the other end
How do you break this?
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Silly little flippy thing at the end got bent slightly, far as I know. I just remember a lot of complaining about it at the time.

In any case, technical issues aside, I dislike the level of consumer culture that goes into the next best and shiniest new product. Apple is not the only company that does this of course, but they are definitely the ones who are most vocal about it.

Also, how did I even get into arguing about this lol.

windhound

I think they're extremely smart myself
They keep managing to make a better product which makes people want to upgrade, I don't see this as a bad thing.

Their current products last forever and have incredibly high resale value, check ebay and craigslist / kiiji (sp) on old macs.  There's a ton of them and they're all expensive.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

...and thanks to this thread I've come off as a total Apple fanboy
Thanks guys

Shadow

Hahaha yeah, you really have.

C.L.U

Quote from: C.L.U on June 02, 2011, 11:02:35 AM
Firetooth is the perfect program; wit, charm and intelligence all rolled into one. You should all aspire to be as him if we are to create the perfect system.

Sharptooh

Quote from: windhound on June 18, 2011, 10:38:31 AM
I think they're extremely smart myself
They keep managing to make a better product which makes people want to upgrade, I don't see this as a bad thing.

With the iPhone 4, they changed the case, added multi-tasking (which most other OSes had had for the past year) and slapped a camera on the front, they call it face time or something like that

cue media hype and people go mad for the darn thing even though you can only buy it on AT&t which (from what I hear) is the most dreadful network in the entire United States, and it's outdated the day you buy it when compared to phones made by other companies

Quote from: windhound on June 18, 2011, 10:22:16 AM
Yes.  Because iPods have used the same charging jack for frikken ever, if not Gen 1

My iPod touch gen 3 wouldn't charge on an iPhone gen2 charger, and the USB chargers are dreadful, my gen 3 takes like 3 hours to charge fully . . .

windhound

If it plugs in it'll charge.  If its not charging there's a software issue. 

3 hours to 100% isn't terrible.  I think its to 80 - 90% in an hour or something.
I donno, I've always been happy with the rate of charge of my ipod touch.  My dumb (not smart) cellphone takes longer and its on a dedicated charger.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/
There's actually a fair difference between the iphone gens. 

Also...  the iPhone has been multi-carrier for a little while now. 
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937
Verizon and AT&T in the US, couple hundred others around the world.
They just released an unlocked version in the US so you can choose your carrier if you can afford an unsubsidized phone.

The AT&T network is actually pretty decent.  I have a standard dumb tracfone which runs on AT&T towers and it works great.
The biggest complaint people have over AT&T is that they weren't really ready for smartphones.  When a ton of people get on all at once the lines bog down and the data sloooowws.  They need to upgrade their network and I believe they've been slowly rolling out more towers.

Genevieve

I've had an iPhone 4 for like 9 months, and nothing's come out since that I would prefer (plus it's so pretty... when it doesn't fall out of your handbag on a concrete driveway and the glass smashes)

Matt got a Samsung Galaxy S around the same time, which has basically the same specs, but sucks in comparison, in usability and functionality.

Now I'll probably never get a non-Apple phone, and would consider a MacBook when my Dell needs replacing, if I can afford it.

Kyle, other manufacturers are way more guilty of making chargers obsolete. I'm pretty sure my iphone charger will fit in my 2nd generation ipod nano (i would test this if I could find it...).

I'm here for you, window!!

Holby

I've never owned an Apple product, but I do know all of the arguments put forward against them so far are stupid.

There are lots of reasons to dislike Apple. However, they make functional, durable products.

I will not deleted this

Sharptooh

Found a picture for you Windy  ;)

Quote from: Holby on June 18, 2011, 08:32:17 PM
I've never owned an Apple product, but I do know all of the arguments put forward against them so far are stupid.

Please do share, I feel unfortunately I'm losing this arguement with Windy

And I will make a reply, just not now, it's late

Neobaron

Debating planned obsolescense is a bit silly.

All companies use this tactic.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Ruddertail

I hate macs because of mac fanboys. Maybe macs are cool. Fanboys are annoying. My College roommate is a fanboy. . . want to whack him whenever he gets on the subject.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Ungatt Trunn II

A post! Such an oddity.
DIE HIPPIE DIE