WINDOWS

Started by Sharptooh, June 18, 2011, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

I hope LulzSec takes a break from beating up Sony and hits Apple next. That would be highly amusing.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Neobaron

Quote from: Shadow on June 22, 2011, 08:12:24 AM
I hope LulzSec takes a break from beating up Sony and hits Apple next. That would be highly amusing.

Heh.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

windhound

Volky, all school computers get screwed up.  Someone at my highschool rearranged all the keys on a couple keyboards to be in alphabetical order, another made a network folder invisible.  The latter took the 'IT' guy a week to fix.  Seti was installed on almost every single computer in the "intro to computers" class, along with unreal tournament, counter strike, and various other games.  I think a plaintext list of teacher usernames and passwords was also found on a network drive.  Judging by stories posted to the interwebs these are not rare occurrences; schools just don't have good IT departments.
Also, is not an iMac

Ashy, I've honestly never noticed any smugness radiating from my local Apple stores.  Some users do indeed exhibit this however.
Apple _cannot_ do anything remotely to your ipod.  You're probably thinking of the Amazon Kindle story a while back.  They did remotely wipe books, 1984 no less, because the publisher didn't actually have permission to sell it.  Because of the outcry that resulted they promised never to do it again.  Apple is waay too image concious to do somthing like that, really.
Apple has a patent for (iirc) an IR signal that will tell the ipod/iphone/whatever not to record video.  This is a patent only, Apple patents a lot of crap - much of which they've never used.
And you're thinking of the iPad in the wrong way.  Its just a big iPod.  That's all it is, runs the exact same software as the iPod touch.
Its designed to be an appliance, a simple way to check email, browse the web, play music and movies, etc.  It does all these very well, wakes from standby in less than a second, and boots up very quickly if you happen to shut it down (generally not needed).  I think they're overpriced for what they are, and perhaps overhyped, but there's apparently a niche for them 'cause they're selling well and being copied like crazy.
As far as the chrome back, after you cringe over the first few scratches and start to ignore it, it develops a nice textured look.  I agree, its stupid.  But it doesn't really effect the usage of the device.  Screen scratches on the other hand...  but everything has that problem.
Anyways, learn Google Ashy..  I've found that for the vast majority of issues you're not the first one to have it and there's generally a couple forum posts on it.  Usually one has an answer.  All else fails, all macs come with restore disks and an Apple store will restore the OS and diagnose hardware for free - regardless of age or warranty.  They wont fix hardware for free out of warranty, but they'll tell you whats wrong and give you a quote. 
About two years ago I saw a Sawtooth G4 PowerMac with a service tag in the Apple store, the Sawtooth was released in 1999.

All this anti-macness is fun
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

Oh, fun fact
The original iMacs shipped with OS 9

OS 9 is generally agreed to be pretty bad. 
OS X was a complete rewrite with an entirely new base
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ashyra Nightwing

My Mac wasn't worth fixing really - trust me, we tried google, we tried everything possible that was free. Paying someone to fix it was never on the cards since the computer was worth less than the lowest price I could find for repair. It's just irritating when your main computer just packs up for no reason. I'd definitely buy another Mac computer though,  I still think they're great but a little out of my price range.

And as for smugness - 'genius bar', come on

The Lady Shael

Not to mention the "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" commercials were a little smug... :p

But I still like Apple products. XD *shielding herself from windy's anti-anti-macness*
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Kilkenne

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on June 22, 2011, 02:12:30 PM
My Mac wasn't worth fixing really - trust me, we tried google, we tried everything possible that was free. Paying someone to fix it was never on the cards since the computer was worth less than the lowest price I could find for repair. It's just irritating when your main computer just packs up for no reason. I'd definitely buy another Mac computer though,  I still think they're great but a little out of my price range.

And as for smugness - 'genius bar', come on

stand in line at midnight for whatever iproduct they're iselling that's the way to find a value that lasts