Suggestions for the Lounge

Started by The Lady Shael, June 15, 2011, 07:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we change about the in-game chat?

Make it appear on every page (in a non-intrusive way)
8 (44.4%)
Make Reg and Turbo use the same Lounge
8 (44.4%)
Make the chat available outside the game
8 (44.4%)
Show more of what was previously said in the chat
4 (22.2%)
Show a list of people currently viewing the Lounge
15 (83.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

The Lady Shael

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

All but the history one. Chats there don't really need a history. Could even put it in place of the shoutbox and link forums and the game through the chatbox as a way to get new players onto forums.

Also, the only reason I don't use it much is because of the lag issue in Firefox. Would be awesome to see that fixed. ^_^
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Syncing turbo and REG would be a good idea I think, especially considering the lowered activity on the lounge recently

Making it available on every page would be cool but it's not too hard to just have it open in another tab while you run, plus I think this would be one of the harder options to implement, so I didn't vote for it

Making it available from outside of the forums would also be cool and probably increase activity, something like Shadow said might be a good idea, although I think the shoutbox is too established and popular to get rid of atm

Neobaron

Quote from: Shadow on June 15, 2011, 09:14:43 AM
All but the history one. Chats there don't really need a history. Could even put it in place of the shoutbox and link forums and the game through the chatbox as a way to get new players onto forums.

Also, the only reason I don't use it much is because of the lag issue in Firefox. Would be awesome to see that fixed. ^_^

Everything he said but scroll/refresh issue in IE.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Neobaron on June 15, 2011, 12:26:06 PM
Everything he said but scroll/refresh issue in IE.

You use IE?

Oh and I forgot to mention, like Shadow the firefox issue is a little annoying, although last time I checked it was a lot better

Neobaron

I use whatever I will encounter in the real world.

For now its IE.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Neobaron on June 15, 2011, 12:33:45 PM
I use whatever I will encounter in the real world.

For now its IE.

Some businesses use proper browsers like Firefox and Chrome

And I think here in Europe Firefox is the most used browser, some governments actually advise you against using IE because of security exploits

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Neobaron

Well thats true.

But its also a rather small minority, and  the old truth - which is now more superstition - that IE is less secure than FF is fading fast as Microsoft is catching up to the times.

FF has more (possible) functionality on account of addons, but beyond that, what?

Chrome is the most secure. I'll give it that. But its ugly.

---

I think we can all agree though that macs are horrible and need to be eliminated.

Ruddertail

I do like the idea of linking the forum shoutbox with the in-game lounges. I think that would lead people who never come to the boards to at least have some interaction with the community as a whole. What about making the shoutbox also appear on the bottom of your main page, somewhere either above or below the in-game news? Something like, "Community Box of Shouts: What those other crazy warlords say in their more candid moments."
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Sharptooh

Quote from: Neobaron on June 15, 2011, 01:04:14 PM
I think we can all agree though that macs are horrible and need to be eliminated.

Agreed, however

the old truth - which is now more superstition - that IE is less secure than FF is fading fast as Microsoft is catching up to the times.

FF has more (possible) functionality on account of addons, but beyond that, what?

IE is a nightmare from a developers perspective, and Chrome is just a way of shoving Google's products down peoples throats (granted it is a very fast way of doing so)

IE is also less secure than FF, although 9 is a great improvement on 8 IE still lags behind in terms of security (and everything else pretty much) compared to it's rivals

Seriously thought the web developers nightmare is probably the worst thing, I bet a least a million hours of work time have been wasted hacking things so that they work properly in Internet Explorer

back on topic
Quote from: Ruddertail on June 15, 2011, 01:07:41 PM
What about making the shoutbox also appear on the bottom of your main page, somewhere either above or below the in-game news? Something like, "Community Box of Shouts: What those other crazy warlords say in their more candid moments."

+1

The Lady Shael

Chrome isn't ugly, it's minimalistic! As a programmer, I always need to see as much of a web page as I possibly can (and I do not want to switch in and out of full screen). Chrome's layout of buttons and tabs is great.

...can't believe how fast this derailed in a browser debate.

Quote from: Ruddertail on June 15, 2011, 01:07:41 PM
I do like the idea of linking the forum shoutbox with the in-game lounges. I think that would lead people who never come to the boards to at least have some interaction with the community as a whole. What about making the shoutbox also appear on the bottom of your main page, somewhere either above or below the in-game news? Something like, "Community Box of Shouts: What those other crazy warlords say in their more candid moments."

^ I like this

Sharptooh

Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 15, 2011, 01:11:02 PM
...can't believe how fast this derailed in a browser debate.

Sorry Shael, I get very emotional when it comes to the issue of IE  :D

Abby The Rat

Just do what some website do now, only support the latest set of browers and state it as such. That way, you're helping people upgrade and be more protected then carrying on using unsafe and often unsupported versions of the browsers.

Having said that, you said 5 options, and there's 6 options.. so it's like.. eh :P Now if there was 10 options, then it would make more sense. Okie, now I would suggest making the chat a bit more visible.. and an extra idea is allow for a desktop client to connect to it! Now there's a challenge ;) (Pretty much already have a few ideas in my head on how to do it that anyway)
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

windhound

lolneo, sharptooth
Macs > Windows by soo much.  I get commercial software support and a certified unix base with a mac.  I also can't get pwned just by browsing to the wrong website, the mac 'virus' that got some press a few weeks back required people to put in their admin password for it to do anything.

I've tried to switch away from Firefox a couple times, but never got far.  Probably just 'cause I've been using it for so many years, but nothing else feels right and the lack of extensions for stuff like Adblock is kind of a dealbreaker.
Also, fun fact - http://windfish.org/dump/rwlbrowsers.png  Chrome is the leading browser for redwallwarlords.com

As far as the shoutbox... 
I like the idea of forum / game integration, but posting into the forum/forums' chatbox from the game adds fun new challenges - mostly dealing with logins and authentication.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't