I just realized Ungatt's avatar is Doc Holiday

Started by cloud, June 11, 2011, 03:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn II

You could. Or you could make Everyone Sean Connery. Or Clint Eastwood. Or yourself. Then you could argue with yourself all day long about... who is actually the original you? (the one who can make the other one 'splode from the inside out obviously)

DIE HIPPIE DIE

cloud

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on June 11, 2011, 03:36:47 PM
You could. Or you could make Everyone Sean Connery. Or Clint Eastwood. Or yourself. Then you could argue with yourself all day long about... who is actually the original you? (the one who can make the other one 'splode from the inside out obviously)

Or I could turn all fat people skinny and skinny people fat and watch the hilarity ensue.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Krowdon

*doesnt wanna be fat*

Why are y'all so weird? And I like your icon Ungatt. ^__^
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Holby

Tombstone is a bit of a lame western.

Granted, Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is cool, but otherwise it's a bit "meh".
I will not deleted this

cloud

Quote from: Holby on June 12, 2011, 03:24:59 AM
Tombstone is a bit of a lame western.

Granted, Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is cool, but otherwise it's a bit "meh".

That's because, at the time, it was a modernized Western. It can't really be compared to the old style western of Clint Eastwood or John Wayne.

It was significantly better than Wyatt Earp staring Kevin Costner, though.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Kilkenne

Do you guys think that we'll see a revival of Westerns in our lifetime? I'm pretty sure that people just aren't as interested in them as they used to be, and the modernized ones have been uniformly boring or awful. I know that Western enthusiasts don't like that their stars might one day be replaced or some crazy nonsense, but it could be like sci-fi I guess, where you can get remakes and stuff that don't suck (I like the new Star Trek movie, then again I guess I'm not really a Trek fan and know nothing about it and just wanted to be entertained).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I would like to ride a horse off into the sunset.

I have never ridden a horse before but I would be willing to try this.

Krowdon

I never really got into western movies at all. Not even the old ones.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

cloud

I doubt it Kilk. It seems like the only person that ever makes westerns anymore is kevin costner, and they all suck...
-Kilk

Ungatt Trunn II

I have some horses you can ride into the sunset with...

Not broke yet but that doesn't mean you can't try.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Holby

Quote from: Kilkenne on June 12, 2011, 09:39:51 AM
Do you guys think that we'll see a revival of Westerns in our lifetime? I'm pretty sure that people just aren't as interested in them as they used to be, and the modernized ones have been uniformly boring or awful. I know that Western enthusiasts don't like that their stars might one day be replaced or some crazy nonsense, but it could be like sci-fi I guess, where you can get remakes and stuff that don't suck (I like the new Star Trek movie, then again I guess I'm not really a Trek fan and know nothing about it and just wanted to be entertained).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I would like to ride a horse off into the sunset.

i will answer this later
I will not deleted this

Holby

Quote from: Kilkenne on June 12, 2011, 09:39:51 AM

I think westerns are dead for a few different reasons. I don't see them returning as a popular genre, and I don't think it's the fault of movie makers today.

There were some great westerns right up until the seventies, but by that point, they were dying out.

When Westerns were HUGE, (I mean mostly 30s-40s), there was definitely a big escapism element. Western heroes were everyday dudes in a way, but they were also larger than life, and the majority of popular westerns wouldn't really do much for audiences now. Most of them weren't gritty, or exceedingly violent, or well scripted. They were just fun adventureish films where the hero comes out on top. I understand that's a huge generalisation.

In contrast, by the time Westerns got into the sixties, they were tougher and much more violent. By the time the eighties rolled around (and Westerns were essentially dead), every ounce of that escapism was blown away, it was like real life, 'cept a couple hundred years earlier.

Westerns also relied on their stars for success. People would see a movie because it had John Wayne or Gary Cooper or Randolph Scott in it. That doesn't hold today.

By and large, Westerns don't have the strengths in plot and character development that modern films need, and it seems like a stretch to make that work, because for some reason, it's tough to relate to them.

I see Clint Eastwood and John Wayne as polar opposites in many ways.

John Wayne was always the hero, doin' the right thing, saving the ladies and the township and stuff. He had a handful of roles that were brilliant (and far ahead of their time), like in Red River and The Searchers. While those are the ones people remember, by and large, he churned out generic stuff for most of his career.

In contrast, Clint Eastwood made tough, violent westerns. They were exciting and action driven, but there was still a suspension of reality. I think part of the reason they work is because they're over the top, but the Man With No Name character is down to earth, and it balances somehow.

I see them as different almost solely because they're from different generations, though. Not because of the actors themselves.

As far as modern westerns go, I really enjoyed Appaloosa. I think it did the genre justice in a traditional sense. Unfortunately, its appeal isn't huge.
I will not deleted this

Firetooth

I prefer Clint Eastwood westerns.

I'm yet to see the true grit remake. Hope it's good. I'd say the last decent western was Unforgiven.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Kyrolin Zenyar

That's a big post for such a trivial topic, Holbs.
Highest Rank: 1 (turbo)
Lowest Rank: Last?
Quote from: Krowdon on May 29, 2011, 08:52:15 PM
Who goes to war over spam? ohrite, we do. RSL!

Krowdon

If I watched western movies ever, I would comment. But I hardly watch movies as it is. It must be a movie that really captures my interest before I watch it. (most Recent Movie: 'Cats'. Lol. I loved their costumes, and it has good songs.)

Holby

Quote from: Kyrolin Zenyar on June 14, 2011, 08:43:45 PM
That's a big post for such a trivial topic, Holbs.
The topic's not trivial. The thread itself is.

I will not deleted this