Newbie Retention Problem

Started by Daryn, June 06, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

Quote from: Kilkenne on June 08, 2011, 10:53:18 AM
would there be a benefit of some kind of mini-game that awards money once a day or so?

I thought about that a while back too, I couldn't think of any decent / redwall related mini-game ideas too, and it would be difficult to balance it so that there's incentive to play the mini-game, but so that it doesn't disadvantage people who don't play the mini-games because of lack of time or interest

I like the graphics idea too, nice drawing Daryn :)

It might also be interesting to allow players to upload images they've drawn themselves (like Daryn's one) instead of picking just from presets, more variety that way (although there's obvious problems with this)

Kilkenne

Figure you through 100 million dollars at them for "winning" or getting to X Y or Z score on the game, and it doesn't really affect anything. Those of us who know what we're doing know how little money that really is, and remember how much it seemed like when we were new. Win/win, really.

Sharptooh

Fair point Kilk, 100 mil is nothing to most of us, but incentive enough for a newer player

A featured name on the homepage might also be cool, e.g. "games master this week is player x"

The Lady Shael

That is a pretty awesome idea. *will probably open up Flash when she gets home*

On a related note, on Reg there used to be a Headquarters page where players under rank 20 I think could click a button and get an amount of cash and food proportional to their rank. The button was able to be clicked once a day. Unfortunately it was exploitable so I had to remove it and never got around to putting it back, but I'm not sure how effective it was.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Sharptooh

I remember that, but how was it exploitable? *feels like he's missing something obvious*

The Lady Shael

I think it was that after getting the resources, you could press back and claim it again. Never really looked into it and it wasn't a significant amount of resources but just didn't want to chance it.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

cloud

Or we could all just mail the newbies rainbows and lollipops then give them hugs.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Kilkenne

have you ever tried to put a rainbow in a package? let's be reasonable here, that is one of the most difficult things to do ever

cloud

"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Daryn

Lol, Cloud

I'm going to be touching up on my Redwall character drawing, and clean up the lines for easier coloring. There's also this great artist on DA on the Redwall category that I can ask for help, too. :3
Pies.

Abby The Rat

I'm sure you figured out how to fix that exploit, right?
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

The Lady Shael

It turns out I did.  :) I decided to go ahead and put it back on Reg.

Abby The Rat

Oh cool! I'd like to know how you managed to fix it!

I was thinking you had a check condition to see if they've done the daily grab or not on the link/page but it wasn't put into action part of the button, thus as long as the button could be clicked, it bypaths the check.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Kilkenne

QuoteRations collected!

770k cash and 340k food, yess

Shadow

I feel like we could safely multiply those numbers by 100
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..