Who wants to have a religious discussion?

Started by Menatus, April 06, 2003, 02:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menatus

On the old forum, a topic that started off being about Stormclaw not ever being dethroned turned into a 13-or-so-page topic about creation and such.

There's one thing I must say. As do I usually in religious and political discussions I have with my friends when we're bored. People are always overlooking this faith and fact thing, and it annoys me.

THERE IS NO FACT. Yeah, I'm a Christian and I believe in God and all that stuff, but if you believe in fact you believe in NOTHING.

Christiany is based of faith and faith alone! I don't care how much people go around saying "there's fact of this" and crap. If all your looking for is solid fact, then you don't truly believe. If you don't place full faith in God and etc., but only in fact that PROVES him, then you don't believe.

If there was no fact whatsoever, would you believe?

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention. My friend who's narrow minded kinda says everything in the bible is true and fact and etc. (it's funny...he said "Of course it's true! Why would so many people write LIES?") but what his narrow mind doesn't understand is two things: The bible was written by men. It's THEIR interpretation, and they interpret it how they want. Two, a lot of stories in the bible are just that: stories that Jesus told.

He says hell is a fiery pit of flaming lakes and lava because thats what it says in the bible. Not true (of course we can't KNOW until we die) that's basically what Hollywood makes it. The men who wrote the bible thought...how would people understand eternal torment? Fire. So they put down that hell was a pit of fire, NOT meaning for it to be literal.

Of course, I don't know anything until we die, so I will continue this part of the discussion when I have died.

Thus concludes my longest post :P

Dead Eye

Science and technology have been like an x through religon. Evolution has shown a lot of religious beliefs to be wrong. I belive in god and such, but I don't think praying will hapl any. You have to do things for yourself, not wait till god comes and helps. And a few Bible stories can't be true. Norah's Ark. I am sorry people, but even if the whole world had a flood, it would take more than 40 days for the oceans to disappear. And you are telling me that from Norah's Ark to now, those 2 of each animals turned into how many deer, dogs, cats, and other aniamls?
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

calria

Whoa!

This is going to turn into a hot topic, I'll bet.

I think I'll state my opinions briefly, and then get out of the way!

I'm a die-hard Missouri Synod Lutheran, but with die-hard Liberal Democrat political stances. That should explain everything.

*runs away*

Aqualis

Might as well get my rant in early on.

The bible was written by men. It's THEIR interpretation

The bible was written by men, with insperation from God. If there insperation was from God, don't you believe that they would portray an accurate picture.

a lot of stories in the bible are just that: stories that Jesus told

Jesus told parables, and only in the four gospels. Most of the bible was not a story, but actual events that took place.

I belive in god and such, but I don't think praying will hapl any

First off, you spelt help wrong. Second, God commands you to pray. I don't remember where, I have to go look it up, but he does command you to pray.

And a few Bible stories can't be true. Norah's Ark. I am sorry people, but even if the whole world had a flood, it would take more than 40 days for the oceans to disappear

It rained for 40 days, it took months for the water to receed.

And you are telling me that from Norah's Ark to now, those 2 of each animals turned into how many deer, dogs, cats, and other aniamls?

Yes.

---------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind I am a member of LCMS (Luthran Church Missouri Synod).
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Menatus

QuoteThe bible was written by men, with insperation from God. If there insperation was from God, don't you believe that they would portray an accurate picture.

What are you trying to get at? You're agreeing with me. You spelled inspiration wrong. You THINK it was from God, but we don't KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, do we? I agree with you, I'm just saying. It's faith.

QuoteJesus told parables, and only in the four gospels. Most of the bible was not a story, but actual events that took place.

Actual events that we THINK took place. Well, some are factual but not everything Jesus did was. It's all faith that we BELIEVE he did it.

If you don't believe it but go by fact, do you really believe?

Ruatine

Sciptures to back up Aqualis' rantings:

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.

Prayer:

Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Matthew 6:5-13   5"And now about prayer. When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get.
6But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.
7"When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered only by repeating their words again and again.
8 Don't be like them, because your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!
9 Pray like this:
  Our Father in heaven,
  may your name be honored.
10  May your Kingdom come soon.
   May your will be done here on earth,
     just as it is in heaven.
11  Give us our food for today,
12  and forgive us our sins,
       just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.
13  And don't let us yield to temptation,
       but deliver us from the evil one.

Matthew 21:21-22 21Then Jesus told them, "I assure you, if you have faith and don't doubt, you can do things like this and much more. You can even say to this mountain, `May God lift you up and throw you into the sea,' and it will happen.
22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

1 Thessalonians 5:17 17Keep on praying.

The Flood:

Genesis 7:10-12 10 One week later, the flood came and covered the earth.
11 When Noah was 600 years old, on the seventeenth day of the second month, the underground waters burst forth on the earth, and the rain fell in mighty torrents from the sky.
12 The rain continued to fall for forty days and forty nights.

Genesis 8:1-3 1 And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters assuaged;
2 The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained;
3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.

All scriptures taken from the New Living Translation.

I'm not posting any of my own ideas, just Bible verses to help out Aqualis.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Trident

Everybody has their views on religion, just as we all do politics.  <_<  Some people value strange things; spelling for one.  (Cough...) <_<    This isn't a hot topic, Calria, because we've screamed about it before.  Some 13 pages followed it.  <_<   Seriously...  :angry:  While we're at it, I want a cockatoo.  Or three!   :lol:  :lol:  

Aqualis

Thank you, Teufel. You just saved me a whole lot of work.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Menatus

That all? Yes, it is inspired by God, that's what they say and all. Of course, we have no proof but their word, do we?

Not that I don't believe it. You're arguing about something that I agree on, I'm just saying it's not a fact.

Bloodrath

If you believe in God, then you have faith and that means that through your faith we believe that everything the bibles teaches is fact. I am Roman Catholic and believe everything the bible states. I believe it is all fact. We do not really know, but is there solid evidence in anything in our lives? Not likely. Is it a fact that are friends are really are friends or is it fact that people who say they love us in our lives really do love us. I can go on and on and on but it is points. The question is: is there is nothing that is fact in our lives? Not likely.  

Badrang the Tyrant

I love a good DEBATE!

I am United Methodist and I believe everything the Bible states, no matter how looney it may seem...

~>John<~

Quote from: calriaWhoa!

This is going to turn into a hot topic, I'll bet.

I think I'll state my opinions briefly, and then get out of the way!

I'm a die-hard Missouri Synod Lutheran, but with die-hard Liberal Democrat political stances. That should explain everything.

*runs away*
o yes, the liberal part explaining why I disagree with you so much......

LoL, for NOAHS [who came up with "Norah"?] ark, the communication was a lot smaller, thus it might have seemed to them that the whole world flooded, since it would of flooded all the world they knew of.Evolution is a study made by Darwin that is what I call factuals like to believe, it hasn't proved anything wrong, just made more atheists.......
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Van

Like sometimes I can't fully beileve in God.  But when something bad happens I pray almost insticntviley(<-wrong) without thinking about it Its really weird.
Leader of Vermin Raiders

Also has been called a insane chipmunk.

Go to Homestarrunner Its a cool site.
StrongBad rules!

Trident

Praying to God is very helpful.  It works.  It works.  

Menatus

Of course, Bloodrath, you assume it to be fact. But you don't know for a FACT that it's true. I believe because I have faith, not because someone PROVED something.