Chat Features

Started by The Lady Shael, April 05, 2011, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

So what kinds of features would you guys like to see on the chat in the future? Basically, which ones would be worth my time in pursuing?

I am already looking into showing who is currently looking at the chat page.

-IRC-type commands (http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html), probably just /me and /msg

-integration of newsfeed events into the chatbox. So it would look something like this:

Apr 05 2011, 4:17 PM - Agarnu of Riftgard: So is anyone on willing to talk to me? :'(
Apr 05 2011, 4:39 PM - Shadow: omnomnom
Apr 05 2011, 4:40 PM - Shadow: IE9, you dinosaur
Shadow (#6) has attacked you! You lost 146 Rats and destroyed 3482 Rats.
Apr 05 2011, 4:43 PM - Daughters of Delor (Admin): dinosaur indeed.
Apr 05 2011, 4:43 PM - Daughters of Delor (Admin): okay, time to get a chat working on reg.
Apr 05 2011, 4:45 PM - Juskabally: Oh Hello
Apr 05 2011, 4:46 PM - Daughters of Delor (Admin): Hi Juska =)
Double Rainbow has sent you aid:
1,000,000 Rats
1,392,491 Skiffs
$5,000,000,000 Cash
Apr 05 2011, 4:56 PM - Double Rainbow: all the way across the sky
Apr 05 2011, 4:56 PM - Double Rainbow: Hahaha
Apr 05 2011, 5:03 PM - V for Vendetta: *poke*

We'd have to figure out the details so if someone goes on an attacking spree, your chat box doesn't get spammed.

-a non-IRC method of doing a private message to someone else. Shadow suggested using /(player's # or name) and then message here. We could also make it so that messages that begin with /clan are sent only to your clan members.

-a chatbot. This could be the Land Farm or an intangible character that we could name Slagar or Ashleg or something. The most useful outlet I can see for this is adding a library of Game Guide terms, so if you wanted a definition on a particular term or feature, you could just say /ashleg or /help Cluny's Hut, etc etc and it would tell you about it.

Any other ideas that would make this chat more beneficial to the game?
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

would be neat to condense repeated attack messages into one big one in the news feed.

[player] attacked you [number] times and took [big number] land!
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Yellow Eyes

Quote from: Shadow on April 05, 2011, 06:58:37 PM
would be neat to condense repeated attack messages into one big one in the news feed.

[player] attacked you [number] times and took [big number] land!

Although not pertaining to the chat feature....I like this idea. I don't need to see every single attack that my troops in my clan sharing assisted another person in my clan. (Which does happen a lot more than when I get attacked, and I skip over who attacked me. Quite pesky actually.)

And irc chat commands would be cool, but have you tested this chat room for hacking ability? I assume it is the same database. Is there anyway to access the other rows in the db from being hacked and edited?

Neobaron

Don't add a currently in the room thing plz.

Hard to lurk when they know you're there.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Yellow Eyes on April 05, 2011, 11:43:49 PM
Although not pertaining to the chat feature....I like this idea. I don't need to see every single attack that my troops in my clan sharing assisted another person in my clan. (Which does happen a lot more than when I get attacked, and I skip over who attacked me. Quite pesky actually.)

Condensing the "Your forces came to the aid of so-and-so" message is on our to-do list, but I wouldn't think it would cause you to skip over who attack you. Is it really that big of a problem? Attacks against you are in red, attacks against your clanmates are yellow, I'd think it's pretty easy to spot.

Quote from: Yellow Eyes on April 05, 2011, 11:43:49 PM
And irc chat commands would be cool, but have you tested this chat room for hacking ability? I assume it is the same database. Is there anyway to access the other rows in the db from being hacked and edited?

Yes, our chat is protected from SQL injections.

Quote from: Neobaron on April 05, 2011, 11:48:32 PM

But- But... :-[ I just thought the reason no one's using it right now is because they can't see who else is using it, so they're probably chatting to no one. Basically I feel like it's set up to be a glorified shoutbox.

How do you guys feel about having the chat appear on every page? I'd just be afraid of load on the server if we did that though.

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Shadow

I was going to suggest putting it on every page, actually. Maybe test it out for a day and see how it goes.

The Lady Shael

That's a good idea, I'll try setting that up on Turbo tonight and see how it goes.

What would you guys rather have in the way of clan chat:

1. a separate clan chat room

or

2. use the general chat, but use the command "/clan" to send messages only to your clan members (clan chat messages would be displayed in a different color)

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: Neobaron on April 05, 2011, 11:48:32 PM

Like!

Sharptooh

Quote from: The Lady Shael on April 06, 2011, 09:26:13 AM

2. use the general chat, but use the command "/clan" to send messages only to your clan members (clan chat messages would be displayed in a different color)

I don't know if this is too difficult, but a different tab on the lounge for clan chat would work

Or possibly even better (so everyone knows that it actually exists) it could have it's own page, with a link being displayed beneath the clan forums link

I don't think putting a "/clan" tag before every message for your clan mates, I can definitely see myself missing the clan tag by accident just when I'm sending an uber secret message to my clan

And if anyone is familiar with the Yahoo Mail Beta, then using the way their Chat works would be an awesome way to put it on every page without being intrusive

Krowdon

Quote from: The Lady Shael on April 06, 2011, 08:02:25 AM
But- But... :-[ I just thought the reason no one's using it right now is because they can't see who else is using it, so they're probably chatting to no one. Basically I feel like it's set up to be a glorified shoutbox.

How do you guys feel about having the chat appear on every page? I'd just be afraid of load on the server if we did that though.

I would like a "Currently in The Lounge" feature. Then I would probably talk, depending.

I agree with placing a Clan Lounge below the clan forums.

The /clan thing does not work. Trust me, I played with that on runescape. Its dumb.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Shadow

I think that people should be able to see who is in the lounge. Lurkers can just be there without posting.

The Lady Shael

Yeah, Neo. Just say "brb" and then lurk to your heart's content. =p

If we do get this feature up, it will be similar to the current online feature, in that your status will go to "not online" once turns roll around. So you can go in right before turns come, and then lurk. Until you chat something, then your status will come online again.

Neobaron

I was mostly kidding guise. ;)

Mostly. :|

Yellow Eyes

Instead of having the chat feature on every page, why not just have the last two or three chats appear with a box to type in? Might save a lot of space.

And I just mentioned this on there, but a way to color in your post so your post will stand out from everyone elses.

Neobaron

Would it be possible to have it as part of the RWL header that is present on every page as a drop down like the warlord tags are now?

Would certainly make it visible.