Started by yankerr007, March 31, 2011, 05:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankerr007

hi, my name is Yaniv and I'm new here.
there are two possibilities: either I just need to learn more of English
or is it written blurred in purpose.

you tell me:

quote:
"When you choose an attack, it will put "points" for that troop type into the enemy defense. Then, the actual amount of enemy defense is determined as the points for that group divided by the total points for that troop type...times the total amount of troops for that troop type (TotalTroop?*GroupTroopPoints?/TotalTroopPoints?)

To better understand how the points are apportioned, an overview of the attack types.

Attack
1 point for each troop type. You cannot loose land while attacking.
Vs. Rats
10 points for rats.
Vs. Weasels
10 points for weasels.
Vs. Stoats
10 points for stoats.
Vs. Skiffs
10 points for skiffs.
Flank
1 point for each troop type. 20% Chance of a 20% bonus to offensive points, 80% chance of 30% bonus to losses. ""

now i will chot it to pieces:
"When you choose an attack, it will put "points" for that troop type into the enemy defense"
now lets say that I'm choosing to attack only with Rats, and I have 15000 of them,
now rats base points are: 1 for defence and 2 for offence.
now in order to calculate my attack strength I take the total amount of my Rats and multipy it with Rats basic attack points which is 2
so in this case, I attack with 15000*2=30000 attack points.

now in order to calculate the defence points of my enemy I have to put some points into that enemy defence
which means that the Enemy defence is not simply 15000*1(base Rats defence power)=15000
(haa, I forgot to mension that in my example me and my enemy have the same amount of Rats... ;))

so because I don't know what is my enemy defence power,I go to the Bible, and I quote

"the actual amount of enemy defense is determined as the points for that group divided by the total points for that troop type...times the total amount of troops for that troop type (TotalTroop?*GroupTroopPoints?/TotalTroopPoints?) "

but what are "points for that grup??"
again, gone to the text:

"10 points for rats. "

points for that group=10, yippe..

but it's not getting easier:

i have to take this 10 points for rats and divide them by:
" points for that group (10)divided by the total points for that troop type"

ok ok.. total points for that troop type..mmm.ok..I think i got it..
it must be the total points of the defence of my enemy..
the enemy troop type is Rat and rats have 1 defene points for each rat..:
so math again..
10(points for rats) /15000(one defence point for each Rat)

now mulipy the result we got by:
"times the total amount of troops for that troop type"
and horray!!!, we have the whole math: 10/15000=6.66...
times 15000 (total amount of troops for Rats) =6.66*15000=

99900 is the enemy defence power!!!!!

i surly die with my 30000 attack power. :( :( :( >:(

lets try another option:

say we have to give 10 bunus points for every rat the enemy has. like: 10*15000 (10 points for each of the enemy rat)=150000
now lets divide this number by 15000 which is the real defence of rats (1*15000) points we will get a nice little number:
10 TEN

and run to the text again:
"...times the total amount of troops for that troop type "
yes, it must be 15000!.. yippe..
now lets multipy 15000 by 10...
150000???????

wow...

this enemy is unbeatable!!!

or am i too stupid?

and how many towers do i need to max my defence?
if i have 15000 rats?

I am almost sure that this game's mechanic is blure in purpose.
and still, not so confidence in my english
maybe i got it wrong.

now we have to multipy our little ten by "total troop"
I am singing in the rain.
it's not raining, and it's not a song.

i'm just bloody stoned...

Shadow

Groups are an out dated part of the guide. In reality, is is simply the number of troops, times their offensive or defensive power.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

yankerr007

i am a bit disappointed,

I see that the team is working hard on putting new excited things into the turbo
game.

and at the same time, doing nothing with the game help text which is critical
for recruitting new players to the game, and to keep them in.

i think i'm out to travians...

what is it with you guys?

you have 30 ppl in a round in a perfect game

now can anyone tell me,
is in any non magical attack type, my entire defence points matters?

lets say i have 1000000 weasels (fantastic defence)
and someone come to attack me with 15000 Rats
and i too have 15000 Rats
so...
in the end he kicks me because it's 30000 attack points vs only 15000 defence points??

The Lady Shael

I sincerely apologize. We have been aware that our game guide is outdated and we have intended to update it. In all honesty, most new players ask questions to veteran players instead of consulting the game guide which is why we have not been pushed to correct this problem earlier.

But you are right. It is our responsibility to keep that updated.

I am not the best authority on game mechanics...you should ask Shadow, wolf, Holby, or any of the older players. But defense is not held in high regard in this game. Attacking for land is considered a normal act because it's unavoidable...if you try to avoid it, it hurts both you and your attacker. Our players have found it easier to concede to this except in cases of declarations of war.

We are in the middle of wondering if that is an acceptable standard for this game, but after 8 years, that's what we've become. I'm sorry if that's not what you were looking for in this game. We still have a lot of fun, and that's all that matters to us.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

yankerr007

Don't get me wrong
I like this game

Bt please polish the instruction

Twilight Shadow

I have only been here 11 months. I learned from the game guide and wolf bite's journal but if I did not know or understand I asked things as well. I started asking vets to mentor or train me and they did...find the right people and they will help.  RWL from what I have learned there is a way to use defense if you go at it in the right perspective and depending on the type of race you are. It is frustrating when you have 50 million rats and 1 million skiffs and get attack in skiffs and lose. But the positive side of it you can do that to others. The game is a give and take situation.

Yes you lose land and it gets spread but it is basically a large war for territory and you are trying to build your empire, say real world in Japan. Having 40 different "civilizations" or "empires"  living in the same place will basically always be a at war. So you atk, you get atked back.

The best way to learn is by asking on here forums, exploring forums specifically the "strategy" section, ask vets or try to get a mentor(if you want to you can ask me...I am not the best but I know my way around the game pretty well) I could show you a solid leader strat or my lovely leader/indy strat that is very promising

@Shael- Should RWL start up the mentor page again since that page is also ancient? Since I tried to get one of that page...kind of failed lol

yankerr007

I just checked it:
I attacked free land with one and half mega rats. 

But rats is the only kind of troops I had. 

And guess what?
I won. But took only small chop of free land land. 
50 arch to max 100

When I tried the same attack type.
Gurilla strike but capture leaders instead of drive. 
It seems to work fine.

How is it calculated ?

Please tell me...

With examples...

Twilight Shadow

ereptor???

*notices the 007 part same as on ereptor's email*

windhound

The attack system is moderately simple. 
If the offense number is greater than the defense number the attack works, otherwise it fails.
Attacks are calculated on a type basis, rats attack rats, weasels attack weasels, stoats attack stoats, skiffs attack skiffs, and leaders attack leaders.
If I do a guerrilla strike, which sends rats only, and you have no rats I will win each attack.  On the surface it seems kinda silly, but in play it works out pretty well.

I just skimmed your loong first post in this thread, but I don't think you took into account race bonuses
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/reg/rwl.php?action=guide2&section=Races%20Guide
Check the offense / defense modifiers, can make quite a difference.   

The guide in its current incarnation isn't great, I'll grant you, but if you'd seen the past versions you'd be falling over singing its praise.
Keep in mind this is a labor of love, none of the staff are paid.  Some constructive criticism is welcome, and the guide is on the to-do list...  just getting people to do it is the problem =)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

wolf bite

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on April 01, 2011, 01:46:23 AM

I learned from the game guide and wolf bite's journal

Nice People still read that. Thanks for looking it up! A little outdated now. Was the first instruction book for any prom game. I think the link is still down.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles