Should Reg have 550 turns and a quicker turn rate?

Started by Firetooth, March 06, 2011, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Reg have 550 turns and a quicker turn rate??

Yes, Reg should have 550 turns and 2 turns every 10 minutes
10 (41.7%)
Reg should have 550 turns, but the same turn rate
5 (20.8%)
No, reg should keep the same turn number and rate
6 (25%)
Reg should have a quicker turn rate, but the same amount of turns
2 (8.3%)
Other
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Shadow

I am beginning to agree with wolf bite. I have become more of a turbo player recently and forgotten the point of reg. It was designed to be slow, and it was designed for turns to be more valuable. It is also much more competitive and hard to get ahead in because of this, which is how it should be.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Twilight Shadow

FYI I have not read any other post to change my opinion so sorry if there is a common post or brings up a bigger argument. I say keep reg the same turns and rate. This brings to different feels to the game turbo to the people that can check and play everyday compared to regs where you can miss a day and you did not lose much. Reg consists now of a more strategy game by using your turns efficiently and wisely. Compared to turbo where if you miss two to three days you could be killed, went from 5th to landfarm rank. Or if you mess up on a run typically you can recover in 2 runs compared to reg if you mess up on a run it takes a week or two to fix that run if your good enough.  Reg is meant to have a long era and not a round. If you look in the past, specifically last reg round. People were only making up to 200 million in net max because of the strategy with Fairmaiden? and SS and Holby, they played the game with strategy and it took a while for that empire to hold.  Turbo is meant for speed and growing to the top quickly solo or team played. Reg and turbo also attract different players if they do not want to play both. Turbo players usually play both where from my understanding reg players only play reg and not turbo. My vote is leave it the same.

550 turns same rate- with the extra 100 turns would take about another day to be full. This would make larger jumps and new players would not enjoy it as much because of the large gaps between ranks (personal opinion)

450 and x2 rate- this would make it difficult for people that are gone for the weekend or are very busy to enjoy the round. And it loses some of the strategy to what reg is now

both change- It just feels like no theme turbo

Thats my opinion, rip it apart if you like, but reg has been the same for a long time now and it has worked without too many complaints if my memory holds true.

Shadow

That may well be the best written and most well thought out post you have ever made here. You're growing up!

Twilight Shadow

Why thank you shadow but its the only one I truly put my heart and thought into.  :-[

Unless you want me to go back to my old ways when I first started and was a crazy riot to these forums lol being threatened by you being gagged about 100 times before you put me on probation lol

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Shadow on March 07, 2011, 06:19:13 PM
That may well be the best written and most well thought out post you have ever made here. You're growing up!

I lol'd

But I agree...TS, you just leveled up!  :)
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteJust a note, it'd be great if we could keep the interval to a multiple of 10 min, anything less than that would put more load on the server.

Plus all of our code is built around the fact that we have 10 minute intervals.

Perhaps 4 turns every 30 minutes then? I seem to remember retto set the turn rate to once an hour or something like that when we were having issues with too much load on the server.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: The Lady Shael link=topic=12604.msg244552#msg244552 date=1299545071
But I agree...TS, you just leveled up!  :)
/quote]

Is that a good thing? And do I get cheese or a cookie? ;)

Firetooth

Quote from: The Lady Shael on March 07, 2011, 06:44:31 PM
Quote from: Shadow on March 07, 2011, 06:19:13 PM

I lol'd

But I agree...TS, you just leveled up!  :)
+10xp
I have to agree, and I also agree with TS points, which is why I believe 550 turns needs a quicker turn rate. The end result would mean people end up having to run the same amount, but being able to get more out of their runs.

I still personally believe reg is where most of the new players join (well, me and Sharp joined there first) so we need to try making it a bit more interesting. I made this poll with the fact reg is slower based in mind. I really don't want reg to require running every 1 or 2 days, but I think it is too stagnant and dull atm. Just my views.

At the end of the day, though, it is clear that the players are very important. SO far, the second and third options added together are only equal to the consensus that reg should have more turns, and also a faster turn rate to compensate for the longer time it will take to generate enough turns to run.

Edit: I realized I seem like a bit of a [bad firetooth, bad]  in that last bit. Sorry, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do or what not to do, I'm just saying the numbers can't be ignored.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Twilight Shadow

I joined reg first too. But yes it is dull to start out with we have only been playing about a month. I am not sure how long the last era was since I joined pretty late into it but when I joined last April wars were just turning up to take out the "Holbrook crew" There might have been wars between others I don't know but from anything the poll should be recreated and just have keep the same or both change to 550 with faster turn rate because the other two from my perspective are out of the question. But Shael put a poll up in reg so we will see the outcome from there.

Sharptooh

Quote from: wolf bite on March 07, 2011, 11:03:35 AM
Right now it is 8 yes to both and 7 for part or other. Thus close.

Actually right now:

Yes, Reg should have 550 turns and 2 turns every 10 minutes            - 9 (45%)
Reg should have 550 turns, but the same turn rate                            - 5 (25%)
No, reg should keep the same turn number and rate                            - 4 (20%)
Reg should have a quicker turn rate, but the same amount of turns    - 1 (5%)
Other                                                                                                    - 1 (5%)

15 people want some kind of change, 4 want no change and 1 person is either undecided or thinks something else

I don't think that's very close at all although a lot of people who play REG (as you've already said) likely don't have forum accounts and thus won't vote.

Also almost all newer players join up in REG first (as Firetooth has already said it was a starting point for me and him), I think a lot of newer players find REG almost too slow, but they don't want to join Turbo because it's too fast paced and a lot of the better players play there and would easily outpace them, but as has already been said not that much happens in REG unless someone is emping or unless a war is on. But I think that quite a few feel that REG is just too slow / not enough is going on, a lot of newer players in my clan last round would log in every day to see what was going on but I think most of them were disappointed when not much had happened, on the clan forums or otherwise

I think 550 turns would be a good max turn number to have on REG, and if you could make it so that the turn rate means you fill up with turns in the same amount of time then I think this would be a win win situation, people can log in at the same intervals and do more in their runs, and newer players will find REG slightly faster paced as you can do a lot more with 550 turns that with 450 turns

Quote from: wolf bite on March 07, 2011, 11:03:35 AM
We have never had the exact same number on both turbo and Reg

Didn't there used to be a 450 turn max on both servers a while back? I though turbo got changed permanently to 550 after a round where the max was tested at 550, either that or my memory is worse than I though

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on March 09, 2011, 10:18:22 AM
I joined last April wars were just turning up to take out the "Holbrook crew"

Good times  :D

Firetooth

Sharp is right, Wolf, I remember playing turbo with 450 turns.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Turbo did indeed have 450 turns in the past. I believe it was increased to 550 to make the turn rate gives runs closer to one per day, instead of highly irregular 15 hour runtimes.

The difference between reg and turbo is the value of turns. getting them slower is not what gives them more value, though, it is the smaller number of them. You have to maximize your turn efficiency to get the most from your output, which is why reg is generally considered the proving ground, whereas turbo is just a place to screw around and have fun.

Increasing turns to 550 just makes reg a slower version of turbo. I know I said that 550 turns could work before, but I have reconsidered that after wolf and a few others weighed in.

I have a suggestion, and a request for those who voted for change:

There is a lot of development going on right now. As of yet it is all on turbo, and that is not going to change for a coupe of months - we are using turbo as a way to beta test things and fine-tune the balance. Once it is all done, the vast majority of the changes are going to be migrated to reg, including the race balance, new races, bank leak, and several other interesting changes that we have lined up. I suggest that we do not rush into a change, but rather wait until reg has been updated with the new balance, before we make this decision. That means a few months of status quo, wherein we all participate in the development process by testing everything thoroughly on turbo, followed by a bit of playing around with the new balance on reg with 450 turns to observe how the changes have affected the dynamic. If people still want more turns after that, then we will work out the best way to do it then. But for now, I do not think this is the best time to make such a drastic change.

For the record, this is my opinion, not necessarily a consensus among the staff.

The Lady Shael

Young'uns! I remember when the game had 200 max turns.

Also, I did put up a poll in-game but the staff always reserves the right to make the final decision. Like Shadow said, there is a lot of development happening right now, which could possibly affect the way most people play. It would be easier for us to make our changes based on the way people play now, and once all the changes are finalized, then re-evaluate whether or not we need to increase turns.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

wolf bite

... and the idea of a fast passed Turbo was only a wild concept. Hehe. I did not even know there was a forum for months.

*Helps Shael to her rocking chair and offers her an iced tea*

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Firetooth

Very well, this topic should can be left, at least until the reg changes are made.