Should Reg have 550 turns and a quicker turn rate?

Started by Firetooth, March 06, 2011, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Reg have 550 turns and a quicker turn rate??

Yes, Reg should have 550 turns and 2 turns every 10 minutes
10 (41.7%)
Reg should have 550 turns, but the same turn rate
5 (20.8%)
No, reg should keep the same turn number and rate
6 (25%)
Reg should have a quicker turn rate, but the same amount of turns
2 (8.3%)
Other
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Firetooth

After the creativity discussion in reg, I feel this poll is warranted.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Firetooth on March 06, 2011, 11:22:01 AM
After the creativity discussion in reg, I feel this poll is warranted.

I think it should have 550 turns but I'm not quite sure what the turn rate should be

1 turn every ten minutes for 550 turns seems too slow, but 2 turns every ten minute for 550 turns seems to fast  :-\

Maybe you could slightly increase the number of stored turns too? Would that have much of an effect?

Night Wolf

I like the idea of 2 turns every 10 minutes and 550 turns, It speeds it up a little bit and its still much slower than turbo

Shadow

Reg was always slow, and I don't like the idea of changing that rate. On the other hand, newer players might find the slow game boring... 1 turn/10 mins at 450 turns max means one run every 3 days. 2 turns/10 mins at 550 max means one run every 2 days.... Meh.

However, more turns before filling up I have no problem with.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Quote from: Shadow on March 06, 2011, 12:07:41 PM
Reg was always slow, and I don't like the idea of changing that rate. However, more turns before filling up I have no problem with.
I think that having 100+ turns but the same turn rate could just make reg even slower, though. I think just gaining 1 extra turn per 10 mins, and 2 every 10mins for turns stored, could balance out the extra turns.

Either way, everybody seems in favour of some kind of change to the amount of turns or turn rate.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Uiblis

Definitely 2 turns every ten minutes.
But 550 turns? That doesn't seem too important.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

wolf bite

With 550 turns you would run out of people to attack near your level, and if you find enough land could almost make yourself almost invincible.

Reg is for people that don't want to check in 2 times a day, that is turbo. They can even go away for days and not miss much. Right now a full run takes a little over 3 days to build. If you did not get back for 4 days, then you have those turns saved and can play again in 2 days. You can go way for the weekend or have busy work or school and not miss much.

By having fased paced turbo and slow reg we atract 2 differant crowds. Forcing people to check in every other day or lose out will not inspire more people and could causes some to loose interest.

Votes it has worked fine this way for 8 years, keep it.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Firetooth

The point is, W, reg is too slow. The only time anything happens is when somebody emps, and most people check everyday when that happens. This could keep it slow-paced but interesting at the same time. I'd argue by having reg so slow, people loose interest and stop playing. People like reg as your achievements aren't re-wrote every round as well, but it's very difficult to accumlate net at the moment.

The Lady Shael

This is something I'd have to set up an in-game poll for before we actually make a decision. There's a lot of Reg players who never read the forums. I'll work on getting an in-game poll set up.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Shadow

I think that with high health loss per attack on reg, scraping will still be quite difficult. So I don't think that making yourself invincible will be a problem. But perhaps we could make it 2 turns per 15 mins with 550 max, so that a run is still three days to accumulate.

I dunno. I appreciate firetooth's point that reg is slow, but I also know that it has worked forever. So I am neutral overall. We could always try it out for a while and see.

The issue that I see is not that reg is too slow, it's that people can't do enough with 450 turns.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

I voted for the first option, but I'm more with Shadow and wolf bite on the turn rate. Increase max turns, but make the turn rate 2 every 15 so you have the same time between runs. Bite is right about the two servers attracting two different crowds, and the ability to leave reg alone for a few days is nice if you are really busy for some reason. A run every 2 days just seems too fast paced for reg.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

Just a note, it'd be great if we could keep the interval to a multiple of 10 min, anything less than that would put more load on the server.

Plus all of our code is built around the fact that we have 10 minute intervals.

Holby

Agree with Wolf Bite.

450 to 550 isn't a huge issue.

But if we make it any faster, we'll screw the game up. It just becomes a slightly slower Turbo. Once every three days is a good rate as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want it to be any faster. It means people don't have to run every day to be competitive. I think many people like that. Doubling the turn rate would be detrimental.

I will not deleted this

wolf bite

We have never had the exact same number on both turbo and Reg, reason is two different crowds. The same type of crowd that plays turbo is the same that checks in a few times a day to read posts and polls. Reg players may not have accounts on the forums or check it even if pointed.

Right now it is 8 yes to both and 7 for part or other. Thus close.

Doing only increasing turns but not rate will be opposite what is intended because then it will be a 3.5 day run.

Making this change for those who already have daily action on turbo to have more fun would be a loss if only one Reg person left the game over the change.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles