Utopia

Nerd games.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Sharptooh

Quote from: Neobaron on November 18, 2011, 04:23:38 PM
Both of those games are terrible. This is now a golden age of gaming thread.

I disagree

Although I did have all the nintendo handhelds, the old black and white is still in the loft (I think)

Uiblis

I don't play too many modern games either; some of the old classics are just impossible to beat.

Quote from: Neobaron on November 18, 2011, 04:15:08 PM
The fact that you couldnt figure out gauntlet without help proves my theory that modern games suck.

Modern games don't suck; they just don't have any new ideas. these days the only thing that gets better is the graphics. Everything else, especially plot and things that actually make the game interesting are getting repetitive.

You could say old games are better than modern games, instead of being so confrontational  :)

Be passive-aggressive.

Quote from: Rakefur on November 18, 2011, 04:25:56 PM
Nerd games.

I play any games that come to hand if I don't have anything else, lol. But I prefer RWL, ssbb and old nintendo classics. And halo ce.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Sharptooh

Quote from: Uiblis on November 18, 2011, 04:28:24 PM
Modern games don't suck; they just don't have any new ideas. these days the only thing that gets better is the graphics. Everything else, especially plot and things that actually make the game interesting are getting repetitive.

You could say old games are better than modern games, instead of being so confrontational  :)

If this is what Neo was trying to say then I can definitely see where he's coming from.

Games innovation has stagnated slightly, personally I blame COD.

Seriously though, name one big game release this year that isn't a sequel?

Neobaron

I really don't know who you are, Uiblis, but you are clearly new around here.

Shadow is passive-aggressive.

Think of me as the anti-shadow.

I mean we're e-bros and all, but we are polar opposites.

If you want sleights and thinking-type insults, you go to shadow.
If you want someone to tell you that are are really really dumb (so dumb for real) you come to me.

---

Sharptooth;

I actually got up off the couch and walked across the room to my computer to address your question. At least I read it as a question. I hope you appreciate the gravity of my getting up off of my couch where I have been drinking for the last 4 hours on a friday to come to my computer and answer a question on the internet where I had been previously posting from my phone.

It's pretty heavy.

Modern games suck. There is no way to dilute this statement. I come from a period of gaming where the industry was more or less as new to the game as we were. I come from the last generation of gaming that had shreds of orignality. Ocarina of Time? That belongs to me. Okami? Yep. Kessen? Mine as well. Battlefield 1942? Mine. Call of Duty 1 and 2? Mine. Lunar 1 and 2? You've never even heard of this game that defined every RPG to come after. I had the original Resident Evil. I had the last decent Final Fantasy game (9). I played Gran Turismo when it was still battling something called Ridge Racer for dominance in the driving simulator genre. I played a sports video game before the license agreements that have held their functional progress dead still for a decade. I am lucky enough to have played Command and Conquer before Westwood was demolished by the corporate machine. My generation witnessed the birth of the open world. The death of the second dimension. The rise of the FMV. The birth of 3D. The rise and fall of the simulator.

Basically, my generation was the last generation that had the benefit of devs that went for the wow factor and still gave two poo about the story behind (what was at the time) the beautiful facade. My generation witnessed the golden age of gaming before EA and Activision crushed every ounce of life out of the industry.

Have you ever even heard of Bullfrog? Did you ever experience Maxis before the acquisition? Do you know a single game by Sierra? Dynamix? Psygnosis? Neversoft? 989 Studios?

We didn't have DLC. We had patches.

We didn't have gratuitious flavor-of-the-month sequels. We had expansion packs. And when I say expansion pack, I don't mean the "OMG BRO LOOK AT MY 2 HOURS OF ACTUAL CONTENT AND THE AWESOME SWORD I GOT TO REPLACE MY KNIFE AND MY DAD ONLY HAD TO PAY $10" I mean actual games that were longer than the original in terms of playability. Think Brood War and the Mongol Invasion for the original Shogun, if you've ever gotten to play either of these games.

We had storylines that any person can still turn on today and be amazed.

---

What do you have today? 

You've had 5 call of duty games released in the last 3 years, none of them functionally different from Call of Duty 2.
You've had  8 Battlefields released in the last 3 years. None of them functionally different from Battlefield 1942.

Even in your new/original series games, you have seen a shift in games that has taken them from puzzles and fun to just ramping up the difficulty as a means of increasing playtime. Theres no thought in Demon or Dark Souls. There is only button mashing fury and hoping for the best. There is literally no sense in Catherine. Super Meat Boy is a platformer that is designed to make grown men crack under the pressure of beating the game. And it isn't thought or effort that makes the difference, its reflexes, memorization of a standard outcome, and time investment.

But to be honest, I give the modern gamer too much credit when I mention games like these because they're too busy calling one another playground names on their xbox 360s and changing teams until they win every time to notice the few decent things that are coming out of this generation. People mock the Wii, but the Wii is the single most original piece of gaming equipment that has happened in the last 15 years - perhaps since the introduction of standard media as a means of storing games (CDs/DVDs). Now it is mocked because THERE R NO GUD GAEMS ON WII LOL ITS FOR "nOObs" AND KIDS LOLOL while the same idiots who make these declarations play with their Kinekt and PS Move which were totally not designed in a hurry as a means of keeping pace with the real innovators in the world, Nintendo.Do you realize the Wii has visually comparable graphics to both the PS3 and the XBox360 while using 1/5th the processing and hardware power of the latter two machines? Do you understand the implications of that? No, you're too busy mocking the Wii to understand how great it could have been if you weren't trudging along through generic map number 34892 shooting the same guns you've been shooting since your parents handed you a controller at 6 years old in 2001 at random people in the hopes of unlocking that next achievement so you can have something else to wave around at your defeated foes in addition to calling them homosexual and racial slurs.

If it weren't for Minecraft, Bethesda, Steam giving me access to indie titles, and CCP Games, I would find another hobby. Because the last 10 years have otherwise not been worth my time, and I know for a fact that I am not alone based on the legion of PC gamers who have to tolerate the pandering to console kiddies by the corporate machines who have realized that quantity makes more money than quality.

[/rant]
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Neobaron

All that about the superiority of my generation, and I forgot Pokemon, which I still play to this day (the originals).

Rakefur

I remember when you admitted I had gotten to Shadow passive-aggressiveness. It took years of practice. And you wish you had a talent.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Neobaron

The intention of the post you reference went right over your head.

The Masked Wolf

Quote from: cloud on February 02, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Aggressive and weak have no correlation. I know a bunch of weak people that are aggressive, and if they get aggressive towards the wrong people they get put in their place. Know your place.

Let's go, say that to mah face...5 words: I don't give a crap! >:

windhound

Eh, game makers will make what sells

If they have a guaranteed audience they'll sure as heck make it.  Thus - Halo 4, though I could have sworn they promised they were done after 3...  then ODST, then Reach.  lol.
Not that I mind, they've been fun games imo, but eh

Need for Speed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc, they have a guaranteed audience as long as its not complete and utter poop -- and even then, they'll have atleast a few gens where people say "this one will be better!"

Breaking the mold is risky and only occasionally pays off.  Minecraft is a one in a million, probably literally.

Sequels vs. Expansion Packs vs. DLC
Modern games have blurred the line a bit. 
What were Expansion Packs are generally just released as whole new games -- they can charge more money this way
DLC is the company's way to get money out of those who buy used games.  I think most would have less of an issue if they lowered the price of the game, but $60 titles that launch with DLC tend to irk people.

You're more likely to get a good, different game out of an indy studio than any of the mega studios.  Same for about anything, when what are now the mega sudios were small they mostly made decent innovative games. 
Games like MineCraft, Braid, World of Goo, if you like them support the indy devs
If you're happy with the same game being recycled again and again, by all means buy the next CoD
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Uiblis

Quote from: Neobaron on November 18, 2011, 06:02:26 PM
Shadow is passive-aggressive.

Think of me as the anti-shadow.

Your "non passive aggressiveness" along with your broad catagorization of modern games insulted me. Most of the time it's funny, but "modern games suck" is going a bit far.

I play cod, halo, assassin's creed. Some games are pretty good, actually.

Quote from: windhound on November 18, 2011, 07:12:52 PM
Eh, game makers will make what sells

If I made millions by designing a game that a majority of people like and are willing to buy, I'd be happy with myself. Regardless of what a few people might say.

Neobaron

You have to be in the 14 to 16 range.

You just have to be.

You are like a less visible firetooth.

---

Also I appear to have struck a nerve.

Was it the blunt honesty or the blunt truth?

Your games suck, and I pity that you have such an awful selection. You can only name 3 titles. 3.

It isn't your fault. You were born into this. But at the same time, you have an opportunity to demand so much more and you choose to not do so.

If you want to continue to munch on the poo they shovel into your mouth, go nuts. But you have to accept that the games you play will forever be soul-less flavor of the month junk, and when it all boils down to structure, content, story, and actual gameplay, they are all exactly the same. And they all suck.

Also if you are getting mad at the internet you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

Uiblis

Quote from: Neobaron on November 18, 2011, 09:35:30 PM
Also I appear to have struck a nerve.

Was it the blunt honesty or the blunt truth?

Both, actually.

And they all suck.

If they really sucked, they wouldn't be a multi-million dollar industry right now, and they wouldn't bother churning out the titles for everyone to buy.

Most games are ephemeral. Take a look back a few years and most games have died out. Even modern games. Don't think most people play world at war or mw2 anymore. Only surviving legacies just have new games built onto them. And they make money that way, because people are willing to buy the [poop]. Few awesome games, mostly nintendo ones, are being remade and crap like that, because they have such lasting appeal. But I still don't think those titles can outsell something like mw3.

But you have to accept that the games you play will forever be soul-less flavor of the month junk, and when it all boils down to structure, content, story, and actual gameplay, they are all exactly the same. And they all suck.

Whether the games are soulless, terrible, original, etc etc are completely up to the person who plays them. If you have played them, well then, that's your opinion, but millions and millions of people disagree with you. I'm going with the majority.

Also if you are getting mad at the internet you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

I'm not mad at the internet. Just annoyed at stubborn people who don't accept normal trends. If you like old games that are so original with such amazing plots, go ahead, but that doesn't mean you have to bash new games with stereotypes of people obsessed with cod and have no lives.

Neobaron

Dude I want you to give me a list of differences between COD8 (what you call modern warfare 3) and COD2.

Please.

Functional differences.

Not graphics. Not setting.

Functional differences.

People buy the new flavor of the month shooters because they're OH MY GOD A NEW GAME A NEW GAME I HAVE TO BE A COOL KID AND BUY IT and I draw this conclusion not from some kind of bias, but from the demographic they are appealing to - teenagers with short attention spans who couldn't dedicate to something with a plot lasting more than 10 hours if their lives depended on it. I really don't want to do research for a polling topic, but I can guarantee you that this is the only reason they poo a new Call of Duty on average once every 7 months. They know their ravenous hordes will gobble it up without thinking twice. And the only reason you don't see a lot of people continuing to play the old games is the fact that the new ones come out. They are milking their audience for so much money and all they are doing is re-releasing the same product basically twice a year.

And somehow I am a terrible person for pointing this out.

Halo was original. Halo was cool. Every horrible spin-off and aesthetics-only upgrade that came from it are not. They are the same thing. They are so much the same thing, in fact, that the new Halo is literally just the original Halo with what amounts to a remastered graphics engine. They even included a button for you to switch back and forth for nostalgia sake. That isn't a cool feature. That is an extremely disappointing lack of innovation.

Please don't confuse my concern for your apparently low expectations for elitism. I genuinely feel bad for you. Not only are they convincing you to convince your parents to buy you a game that you will only play for 6 months, they are convincing you to convince your parents to do it twice a year. Thats $120 before Xbox live fees. With the money you convince your parents to spend on Call of Duty in one year, I could buy enough indie games from steam to keep me entertained until 2050.

You think that is ok?

You think it is right?

Neobaron

Also, there is one game - a shooter - that breaks your entire argument.

Counter-Strike: Source.

Explain why source is still one of the most played games in the world.

It isn't different from Call of Duty.

They just don't release a new one every 6-10 months to make the players buy the new game.