Race balancing

Started by Shadow, February 09, 2011, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hey all,

race rebalancing is a distinct possibility in the near future, subject to a few themeless turbo rounds of testing once the details are hashed out. This is a place for you to point out any problems, inconsistences, suggestions, comments, etc on the subject of race balancing. Mainly from a stats viewpoint, but race spells are fair game too.

So: have at it. The questions are:

1) Are there are races that are currently unbalanced. Why? What changes do you suggest to fix it?
2) Are there any inconsistencies between race stats that allow for unbalanced play (troop loop, for eg)
3) If you could make your ideal race, what would it be? Why?
4) Are there any strategies available at other prom games that you would like to see active here? (eg, farmer, casher). What race changes would you make to implement it?

Of course, no guarantees that your suggestions will become reality, but they will certainly be considered when drawing up any race chart changes.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: Shadow on February 09, 2011, 04:57:15 PM

race rebalancing is a distinct possibility in the near future, subject to a few themeless turbo rounds of testing once the details are hashed out.

Well I don't have suggestions off the top of my head but if we will be testing these off a themeless round. Could we do a round or two where everyone is two different races clanned together or something, like wolf and rat, then the next round like wildcat and stoat. Or have three maybe. Or do the ladder race I think...where as you grow stronger you get a different race or something. Because players just coast through a themeless round unless their is a theme or something like the last round their are more posts about it or more action within the game. Thanks!

Shadow

You could be right - we should force (free) revolts every now and again to make sure players try out a variety of strategies. Perhaps a week with each race, for a total of about three months of turbo.

The Lady Shael

That's a great idea, TS. We'll definitely find a way to make it a little more interesting. I always prefer watching the themed Turbo rounds too (my favorite ones to watch are Storehouse and Pearls of Lutra).

There's also another feature that will hopefully be in by next round that won't affect the race balancing...I'm sure you guys will love it. =)
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Twilight Shadow

It would definitely make it more interesting while testing for bugs instead of just playing the usual way. And maybe people will find a favorite race or something.

FYI I am doing a big promotion on other games recently so we may get larger numbers flowing in soon. :D

Shadow

A few things that I recently found out that you should be aware of when considering race balance issues:

on the merceneries and costs stat, a negative value in the race table actually means higher costs. So a rat, with -60% in the costs section, is actually paying 60% MORE than the average. a -40% in mercs actually means that both buy and sell prices are 40% HIGHER than the norm.

So, with this new information in mind, are there any balance issues that you want addressed? There are some major overhauls of the race stats coming and now is your chance to get your say in the results.

Juska

Thanks for giving credit about merc. prices Shadow.

You sure about costs though? My game-play experience doesn't show costs to be reflected poorly.

I'd like to see cashing and farming races.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Shadow

Cashing and farming races are in the works, after rebalancing existing races. The balance ideas currently in the works are geared toward less extreme bonuses overall, so that most races can function in any strategy to some extent, while still excelling in one.

I got the costs info directly from the code, via Shael, so I am sure. Though it did come as quite a surprise to me too. Rest assured that I will be testing this on the test server to make sure as soon as we have something up there to test.

Cashing and farming races are going to require taking anew look at how workers.. er... work ^_^

I think that we will likely have to play with the rate at which they come and go, as well as how they affect output. Suggestions for race spells for casher and farmer? Since they will be relying on markets/tents/foragers, leader defense will be an issue - suggests for ways to balance out their need to defend against that?

Twilight Shadow

If your going to want cashing/farming races. I think you are going to need to make bonuses dealing with workers/markets/foragers. Have their building percentage to the green, very green. Have a green offensive and defense bonuses. Red for training leadership and loyalty.
Example:
Race: Squirrel
Ability:Workers work 1.5 times harder or something
Offense: +20%
Defense:+30%
Build:+40%
Cost:-30%
Loyalty:-10%
Training:-40%
Income:+10%
Scouting:+40%
Mercenaries: 0%
Food:0%
Leadership:-20%
Forages:30%

option:
Markets-how much income your workers make(not sure if thats with foragers doubt it though):30%

Something like that maybe. It seems pretty even to other races due to the fact with lack of leaders and training. But this is just my suggestion, so give comments or what not so I can comment again for other races :D

Shadow

Hey TS

My draft for the casher race looks similar to that - high build and income, low expenses, average leadership ability. So I think that when it comes out, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Suggestions for a race spell for it? Since its leadership ability will be limited, I propose something to do with defending its cash from leader attacks, but I am not sure yet how to set that up. Any ideas?

Twilight Shadow

Blend: the ability reduces the amount of how much damage the warlord or general hut does...
maybe I haven't been able to figure one out yet I have been messing with casher race these past months with the original races but I keep getting in wars :D

Shadow

Hey all,

Shael recently fixed the color code and signs on the race guide -- a + in mercs or costs actually does mean higher prices/costs now, and the color code has been updated to reflect the dominant strategy of each race. Check it out.

No changes have been made to the actual stats as of yet.

Juska

Cashing races need a bigger income bonus than +10%....

Also, they need to have low merc buy prices to be played effectively.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Shadow

Hey Juska,

don't worry, there will be plenty of time to test everything in turbo before we finalize any changes/new races.

New question everybody:

What should the race spells for farmer and casher be? Keeping in mind that since they will be relying on markets/tents/foragers they will porbably have poor leader defense.

The Obliterator

the ability to use your worker tent ratio as a leader defense
it might be op but they would still be vunerable to sacks
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better