Custom Race Theme

Started by The Lady Shael, October 04, 2010, 06:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

The theme for this round is Custom Race. Just as the name of the round suggests, you will get to set up the stats for your own race. Before you can use any turns, you MUST go to the Manage Race link in the sidebar (above the Forums link). More details about how to set up your race stats are on that page.

Here are the main points to remember:
-you have 130 points to allocate to your attributes
-no attribute can have less than 5 points or more than 20 points
-once you leave protection, your stats are final!

Please keep in mind that this is a beta-test of this theme, we will be continually fixing and improving it throughout the round. Let us know if you have any suggestions! Just be prepared to see gameplay changes (beneficial ones, of course!).
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

This set is going to be amazing....

On second thought....no stats below 5 points? Little annoying that....

One other thing, negative costs and negative food are good things, why can't we make those negative? Or do they actually help us if we increase them?
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

The Lady Shael

I coded this pretty fast, so we didn't give much thought to how to set up the points. Right now it's set up so there aren't many calculations needed behind the scenes, but I know that's not the best scenario.

10 is the same thing as having a stat at 100%, or 0.

5 is the same thing as having a stat at 50%, or -5.

20 is the same thing as having a stat at 200%, or 10.

What would you guys prefer? Percentages, or scale down the point range so 0 is the lowest and 15 is the highest?
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

Ah, I get it now. Was a tad confused.

Yes, I go back to my earlier statement: this set is going to be amazing.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Firetooth

Nice I'll sign up tommorow probably. :)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

Actually, mercs cost is another one where having a low stat can be good. For rats, they'll want that at 20, because it gives them the most bang for their buck when they sell troops, especially with camps. For leader races, they'll want it at 5, because they can make money and buy cheap troops. You might want to let the players in game who don't visit the forums know this Shael. (I figure the folks who read the forums could figure this out for themselves.) Mercs are not automatically better the higher they are.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Marell

Great to see this theme idea being put in to practise :) Hope it goes well.
Sorry that I can't be around for it, perhaps next time.

Firetooth

Marell, nice to see you around :)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: Firetooth on October 09, 2010, 01:28:51 PM

Nice to see you around again I think is what he meant

PS Firetooth he was here two or three months ago :D

Holby

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on October 10, 2010, 01:48:42 AM
Quote from: Firetooth on October 09, 2010, 01:28:51 PM

Nice to see you around again I think is what he meant

PS Firetooth he was here two or three months ago :D
Um, wot?

Srsly, stop with the pointless posting already.
I will not deleted this

Blood Wake

Good job being a jerk, Holby
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Twilight Shadow

Pointless its the truth, marell mentored me about two to three months ago, except he did not want to show himself for some reason. So I guess you can say welcome back in a way...
Quote from: Blood Wake on October 10, 2010, 01:18:41 PM
Good job being a jerk, Blood Wake
\Just kidding

Shadow

Hey everyone,

there has been a nerf to merceneries this round - people will now have to pay more for mercs if they had very low buy prices before (60% price increase) and they will sell for less if they had high sell prices before (40% decrease). This is intended to shut down a bug that allowed net gaining without using turns.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

That's lame. I may as well have never bothered to do anything to my merc prices. You should allow people to redistribute points, if you are going to make that drastic a change. I can understand a 20% increase, which would probably have fixed the problem, but 60% actually means I am now paying MORE than if I had just put them at 10. Remember, leaving at the minimum of 5 was only a 50% reduction in merc prices, whereas going to 20 was a 100% increase in merc prices. You should either change how much prices are increased by, or allow people to set a stat at 0. One of the reasons I went for the race design I did was because I could have low merc prices, and I doubt I'm the only one. Now it's just like playing a regular leader round, but with a different special spell.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

Its scaled volky
You're still getting a boost, just less of one

It is a valid point that your points may have been better spent somewhere else, but with the incredible amount of points allowed... (keep in mind that 20 points = a 100% boost, double normal output)
We're nowhere near a normal round

The amount of cash its possible to make this round is scary, making mercs a little pricier isn't going to have that much of an effect.  It does prevent the troop loop though.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't