Both
4 (19%)
None
14 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Firetooth

Nope, follow it up ;)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

Ah, but see, it turns out you were WRONG. He was saying "Good For You". Thanks for proving my point! Have a nice day.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Firetooth

The principle is what matters-abbreviated swearing is now allowed. You really can't concede a point :P
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Abbreviated swearing is not allowed, same as regular swearing. However, context matters. You are more likely to be disciplined if the swear is directed at another player. If it is just a general exclamation, you might get away with it the first time.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Ha I think that's the point to me, Volk :P

Gen. Volkov

QuoteAbbreviated swearing is not allowed, same as regular swearing. However, context matters. You are more likely to be disciplined if the swear is directed at another player. If it is just a general exclamation, you might get away with it the first time.

QuoteHa I think that's the point to me, Volk

You can all kiss my rump. You guys are making up silly rules, and I'm having none of it. I obey the forum rules as I know them, and for all but perhaps the last few months none of the forum rules said that I can't use an acronym unless it 100% absolutely means one thing and one thing only. I've seen people use the word snafu, more than once and not get disciplined for it, even though it's an acronym which most definitely contains a swear word, in the most common form. SNAFU= Situation Nominal, All Futzed Up. I think you guys can guess what F-word I just replaced. I can concede a point, Firetooth, but not when it's this stupid. Shadow, Holbs, Snare, admins, there is a point were rules and regs go from reasonable to ridiculous. That point has been reached.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Firetooth

There you go, failing to concede a point again :P

Shadow

How is what I said unreasonable?

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: FiretoothThere you go, failing to concede a point again

Quote from: Gen. VolkovI can concede a point, Firetooth, but not when it's this stupid.

Quote from: ShadowHow is what I said unreasonable?

Because, as both firetooth and I have amply demonstrated, an acronym can have a lot of meanings. Using *** to edit out certain letters is one thing, but banning acronyms simply because they MIGHT have an offensive word is another thing entirely. I can thinks of half a dozen acronyms, right now, that have meanings that range from R to G, based on word choice. Banning an acronym simply because it MIGHT mean something bad is completely unreasonable. Shoot, Snare almost got in trouble for using "GFY", even though it just meant "Good For You".

Firetooth

Simple then-just don't use acronyms, I never need to use them/

Shadow

did you not read what I wrote? Context matters. If it is offensive in the context used, it is a problem. If it is not offensive, it is not a problem...

That is the fundamental reason behind the rules of the forum. Unreasonable indeed.

Holby

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on October 11, 2010, 07:51:51 PM
QuoteAbbreviated swearing is not allowed, same as regular swearing. However, context matters. You are more likely to be disciplined if the swear is directed at another player. If it is just a general exclamation, you might get away with it the first time.

QuoteHa I think that's the point to me, Volk

You can all kiss my rump. You guys are making up silly rules, and I'm having none of it. I obey the forum rules as I know them, and for all but perhaps the last few months none of the forum rules said that I can't use an acronym unless it 100% absolutely means one thing and one thing only. I've seen people use the word snafu, more than once and not get disciplined for it, even though it's an acronym which most definitely contains a swear word, in the most common form. SNAFU= Situation Nominal, All Futzed Up. I think you guys can guess what F-word I just replaced. I can concede a point, Firetooth, but not when it's this stupid. Shadow, Holbs, Snare, admins, there is a point were rules and regs go from reasonable to ridiculous. That point has been reached.
The rules are way more lax than when RWL started, and as most of us have grown up, they've got less restrictive. While nearly all of us here are adults now, the heart of this game is still that it's centred around a kid's book series. And apart from some mild violence in the books, there's no sense of sex, drugs, or even anything resembling a grey character. It's a black and white, G-rated world. This (in my view) is a Redwall site, not a Prom site. And while it remains one, we are likely to attract very young players. And for that reason, I want to moderate a forum that caters for a younger market.

I know this contrasts greatly with the general age and mindset of the forum base, and that's not ideal. But until we decide to not cater for Redwall fans, I'll continue to moderate as I have been.
I will not deleted this

Gen. Volkov

Quotedid you not read what I wrote? Context matters. If it is offensive in the context used, it is a problem. If it is not offensive, it is not a problem...

Hmpf. Context is a subjective thing.

I know this contrasts greatly with the general age and mindset of the forum base, and that's not ideal. But until we decide to not cater for Redwall fans, I'll continue to moderate as I have been.

Fine Holby. I still think this particular rule is entirely too arbitrary.

Firetooth

Holby, there is a few grey characters, ie. Veil.

Shadow

Hmpf. Context is a subjective thing.

It's true! If you want to avoid subjectivity altogether in forum rules, then don't use abbreviated swears in any context ^_^