Storehouse results

Started by The Lady Shael, September 24, 2010, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I don't think there's any harm in posting this since this can be inferred just from looking at the scores page. I think I will post the storehouse stats (storehouse contents, member contributions) with the immortalization.

Storehouse networth results:

Earth Clan: $33,335,773,822

Fire Clan: $26,331,425,906

Air Clan: $12,164,737,324

Water Clan: $4,611,223,160
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Gen. Volkov

There were exactly two people who contributed much of anything to our storehouse. Myself and Vargath. The rest of the clan either didn't get the point of the storehouse round, were too new to effectively contribute, or were too interested in killing people to contribute. I was the leader of an entire clan of noobs, in a round really not designed to accommodate noobs. We have got to work on the selection protocols. Nearly all the veteran players were in Earth and Fire.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

It would be easier to sort veterans if we had global logins with long-term stored statistics.

Genevieve

Pfft sore loser, volkov - luck of the draw. I think you could have quite easily taught a noob a simple indy strat. And with two good players, at least one of you should have been indying.

Firetooth

Genevieve nothing of the sort
I haven't been playing, but I'm suprised and let down by the lack of admin support after reading the air board. Only 2 members making net and the rest just killing people-and yes Gen, strats had been posted.
Surely you can see these rounds are stupid and should be scrapped until you get a better system. Every time one clan has overwhelmingly better players. We need a system like Valhall, as Peace said, where the identies are saved so we can sort members.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Holby

Quote from: Firetooth on September 25, 2010, 05:02:15 AM
Genevieve nothing of the sort
I haven't been playing, but I'm suprised and let down by the lack of admin support after reading the air board. Only 2 members making net and the rest just killing people-and yes Gen, strats had been posted.
Surely you can see these rounds are stupid and should be scrapped until you get a better system. Every time one clan has overwhelmingly better players. We need a system like Valhall, as Peace said, where the identies are saved so we can sort members.
I think there would be more problems caused by admin intervention, with the biggest being accusations of bias. Not only would it be greater work to organise, but it would be hard for admins to accurately gauge the skills of each player.

Further, it has less to do with the skill of players and nearly all to do with their activity. Firetooth, you were in my clan, and you were killed a few days into the round. For my part, I contributed virtually nothing to my storehouse. But Fire had many active, giving players, and that's why the clan worked.

Manual distribution of players isn't the solution. It's all about activity and organisation. And I think that's a big part of why Water failed. While Volkov might have had fewer good players to work with, the buck has to stop with him. 2 good players should have been more than enough to make much more net than they did. As far as getting the rest of the clan involved, that shouldn't have been an impossible task. Forum posts aren't enough. Getting the attention and respect of a clan of new players might be difficult, but it's not out of the question. Neither is working with another clan to achieve an end, either.

Forced clans aren't ideal, but there's not as big a problem with them as everyone seems to think. My problem with storehouse rounds is that indyers can produce ridiculous amounts with no upkeep. But with the chaos of the round, there's no reason Water or Air can't win. Fire and Earth might have produced more, but the game doesn't end until the 28th. And from now until then, it's all about destruction.

I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Holby, I tried logging in to come back, my account doesn't work anymore.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

The Lady Shael

I watched the in-game message system and clan forums all throughout the game, and I have to say that there definitely was an uneven distribution of skill among the clans. In every clan there were at least two experienced, contributing players. Both Air and Water had strategy topics posted on their forums in attempt to teach the new players.

Unfortunately most of those new players just didn't want to listen. Air's members rebelled against the leadership of the clan, preferring to kill members of the other clans (I actually posted on their forum suggesting the ONLY way to win would be to store, not to kill). Water just had newbies who did not respect the veterans of the clan enough to listen to their advice. As a result both clans fell way behind, and I don't blame the veterans for getting discouraged.

Global logins are something we've been talking about for a while, and I guess it's something we need to focus more on.

And you know what? The whole respect thing does bother me. Newbies just don't respect their elders anymore like they used to. =(
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Holby on September 25, 2010, 06:04:40 AM
It's all about activity and organisation. And I think that's a big part of why Water failed. While Volkov might have had fewer good players to work with, the buck has to stop with him. 2 good players should have been more than enough to make much more net than they did. As far as getting the rest of the clan involved, that shouldn't have been an impossible task. Forum posts aren't enough. Getting the attention and respect of a clan of new players might be difficult, but it's not out of the question. Neither is working with another clan to achieve an end, either.

I don't think you appreciate what me, and other members of water and air where up against, like Shael has already said, it's not like we didn't try to teach the new players strategy, I wasn't active until about the 10th of the month but Peace Alliance (The PA in Air) did try to teach the new players some strategy and get them to contribute to the storehouse, I likewise did the same later on in the round (I didn't post strategies as PA had already posted about strategies on the forum)

Unfortunately the topic about strategies got no replies, whilst topics about killing people and laughing about how people asked them to stop attacking when they were online, flourished, after members of my clan had killed 4 people I put my foot down (PA was away at the time) and tried to tell them that we had to put net in the storehouse if we wanted to win, it didn't work and all I got was angry replies.

Quote from: The Lady Shael on September 25, 2010, 08:45:57 AM
(I actually posted on their forum suggesting the ONLY way to win would be to store, not to kill)

Thanks Shael  :) unfortunately out combined efforts didn't accomplish much . . .

Quote from: Firetooth on September 25, 2010, 05:02:15 AM
Surely you can see these rounds are stupid and should be scrapped until you get a better system.

I appreciate that global logins are going to require some work, but I'm afraid that I have to agree with Firetooth, rounds like this aren't going to work if we continue doing them like this.

Shadow

Perhaps leaders should have booting priveleges? Or a clan vote can kick out a member, etc? Members that have been removed would not be able to clan at all anymore.

Abuseable and incomplete as stated, but being able to kick someone out somehow should be able to put an end to what we saw this round.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Juska

Booting someone would be a good idea, or perhaps only assigning people to clans after they have used a minimum amount of turns, so that slots don't get filled with people in protection.

An other note, Fire probably should have massed some rats, or built a city.

Warlords Killed     Guild (#29)

Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: Shadow on September 25, 2010, 04:20:49 PM
Perhaps leaders should have booting priveleges? Or a clan vote can kick out a member, etc? Members that have been removed would not be able to clan at all anymore.

Abuseable and incomplete as stated, but being able to kick someone out somehow should be able to put an end to what we saw this round.

If this would happen you may have to vote on it or send a message to Shael or someone giving the reason of why they should be kicked out so it is an okay kick out and not out of anger.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIt would be easier to sort veterans if we had global logins with long-term stored statistics.

Yeah, that is something we should probably go too.

QuoteManual distribution of players isn't the solution. It's all about activity and organisation. And I think that's a big part of why Water failed. While Volkov might have had fewer good players to work with, the buck has to stop with him. 2 good players should have been more than enough to make much more net than they did.

Says the man who did nothing all round. I may have been able to create more networth if I went indy and had Vargath feeding me, or vice-versa, but at the end of the day, I simply didn't have enough players who cared. I posted strategies, guidelines, and either they just complained or decided killing people was more fun.

As far as getting the rest of the clan involved, that shouldn't have been an impossible task. Forum posts aren't enough. Getting the attention and respect of a clan of new players might be difficult, but it's not out of the question.

As for reaching out to them more than I did... I don't work well with children, and I'm pretty sure at least half of Water was under 15. Nevertheless, I did try. The main response I got from the troublemakers was 'I didn't vote for you'.

QuoteNeither is working with another clan to achieve an end, either.

This is made much harder when members of your clan decided to start randomly killing folks.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

There are 2 solutions really.

If we were larger (say 100 members or more) the randomness of our selection process would even things out. It would simply work out if we had a large enough sampling. As it is, if a clan has even one or two extra "vets" then another, the entire thing is unbalanced.

Assuming the game isn't about to double it's membership... the other solution is to keep long-term statistics on each player. That way when the theme selects your clan, add's up all the ranks you've ever finished with and if you have a lower sum then you are a vet and will be placed on the next clan in queue (so it would automatically sort one vet per clan at a time).

That would be a pain to program, most likely.