Vacation

Started by Shadow, May 22, 2009, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Snare said that #8 = Bob. If he is to be believed, you are Bob.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Quote from: Shadow on May 25, 2009, 11:41:16 AM
Snare said that #8 = Bob. If he is to be believed, you are Bob.
Which seems the most probable answer.
Briar don't think I didn't miss the edit in that post :P
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Blankshots

Quote from: Firetooth on May 25, 2009, 02:34:38 AM
Blankshots, to be fair, I also like Corrado, but he's not vaca'd on reg

Ya that is true, I asked him about that when he went on vacation, and since he ran his turns before leaving for the weekend, he felt he did not need to put himself into vacation on reg unlike turbo.  You have to admitt, very little damage can be done to a person on reg in three days as opposed to turbo, specially with all this net floating around...
I have a 75 lb pitbull, and he will eat your face, haha yes, eat your face.

What's the worst part about telling your parent's you ride a skateboard? That your gay, yes you are.

Zeppelin

I didntt agree with how the name was thrust upon me but oh well. since signing up for an account i'll be representing myself instead of putting up a facade i'm zeppelin/andrew not bob. to the best of my knowledge, the only thing we really had in common was rook and my team now. now if someone can verify last time he plaeyd her thatd be good. but yeah vacation is a bit of an overbearing but i didnt lose sleep over saving nw. too bad really but from what i understand they had halfa day to go until it took effect.

Shadow

...And now we have open admission that there are people who plan to use vacation for defense in the future. A fix is needed, and it's probably as easy as commenting out a few lines in the code.

Zeppelin

the answer to yoursuggestion is all based on circumstance so i dont see how an unbiased rule can come out of it. you could use vacation because you're disappearing for 1 week and 1 day or for 3 days but either way the very essence of vacation is to prevent people from attacking you while you would be otherwise defenseless due to lack of time or lack of access or whatever your reason. if that is so then everyone who doesnt log into their accounts for 1 week should be deleted and not sent to vacation. vacation itself should be removed entirely because the purpose behind the part is officially banned.

corradojeff

Woah woah woah...such hostillity. Just how I like a war game to be!!!

Anyway. I was on vacation for real. I only had my phone to log in with. As Blankshots said, you dont need to go on vacation on reg cause you only run every 3-4 days anyway. that being said. I can come out of vacation in 3 hours and you had better believe that i will be!

See you all in game!

The Obliterator

Quote from: Shadow on May 25, 2009, 06:38:17 PM
...And now we have open admission that there are people who plan to use vacation for defense in the future. A fix is needed, and it's probably as easy as commenting out a few lines in the code.
Man you have obviosly not done coding then.
Unless you plan to remove vac entirely and then you need to change even more so that the computer doesn't think its still there.
There is already a fix for it called the 12 hour lockout.
You have half a day to destroy the net.
If you cant kill it then, you aint gonna do it in 24 hours.
If you really wanted to fix it then you could just change the lockout to 24 hours.
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

Blobfish

You forgot some people are in different time periods to the other person when they put themselves in vaca.
Worship the mighty Blobfish

Quote from: Blobfish on May 01, 2011, 12:04:37 PM
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.59

Rights are for the weak.

windhound

Well, yes and no Oblit
Depends on which fix.  If you just wanted to remove the option to go on vacation that's as simple as removing the option from the Manage Army page.  Proper clean up of all the code that manages vacation could take a while, but just removing the option is painless.
Modifying how long until you idle-to-vacation is changing a single number

Proper cleanup never happens anyways...  I ran into Protectorate stuff the other day, and that feature was nuked a long while back.  Or rather, the option to use it was removed from the game, the legacy code is still hanging around.

Quote from: Shadow on May 25, 2009, 07:06:51 AM
QuoteIf I take it out into the open with my craptacular leader defense it'll evaporate before I see him next, which isn't exactly ideal.

At least you admit your ongoing vacation is for defense rather than vacation.

I don't understand how you can not see that vacation for defense is code abuse. Of all the things I have complained about, this is by far the most clear cut.
I wont 'cause its not.  Or rather, wasn't.  I really had no interest in playing turbo over memorial day weekend.  I could have lied, said I was on a trip, and blocked you on MSN.  But the truth is I really dont care.  I took a vacation from turbo, so I used the method allowed to me to do so.  I've already admitted it was cheap timing, but it is in no way cheating or against the rules.
Now, however, I am just waiting it out.  Guy isn't ready to take back the net right now, but I've been told they will been reasonably soon.

Net-to-vacation isnt code abuse in the traditional sense.  There's no real big trickery here.  Its just going into vacation to preserve net.  In reg this isn't really a problem, its just time-shifting on a never-ending server.  On turbo it does become problematic because it allows a safe, temp storage that can be recalled at will after three days, and turbo does have a defined end date.  But on normal turbo rounds this isn't generally a problem, because the extra three+ days worth of accumulation generally allows the vacation-er to be surpassed.

So basically, for storehouse rounds we need to remove vacation from the Manage Army menu.  Its a cheap move and if allowed everyone will do it next round, which is no fun.
Still, idle-to-vacation can still be used if timed right.  And the rewards are significant enough for people to try, so we'll probably need to disable idle-out too.  Just set the value to 32 days and be done with it.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

You're right actually, it is only a problem in rounds where large amounts of net pop up, and sometimes on reg.

Oblit - 12 hours is not enough usually, because 12 hours doesnt give you full turns, nor does it allow any organisation at all. To get rid of vacation as a defense, a few days is needed. ANd yes, I do code things, I work in a comutational physics lab ^_^ There is no need to remove the feature entirely, just the little box that says "Yes I am sure" or the "Go on vacation" button.

The Lady Shael

It's true, removing the vacation option would take two seconds. It'd actually be better to leave all the other vacation code in just in case you want to put vacation back, and it won't hurt.

I know I haven't played in a while, but the first solution that came to my mind was an army/resource penalty for voluntarily entering vacation. So if you really had to go on vacation, you were willing to accept the penalty. I realize though this is just making it okay for vacation to be used as a strategy, so we can't do that.

Removing the vacation option for storehouse rounds only is my favorite idea so far.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

Yeah, that's all that is needed. I think I went a little overboard with removing it entirely, I was really frustrated though.

Zeppelin

I'm glad that there is now sense to this discussion. i think that removing vacation from rounds like this are the best way to do it but id rather if it was only for the last week that it was in effect just like at qmt. in this case the last week plus one or two days or something. however having distro thru clan management would have fixed these problems i think as any time youre ready would be the time to distribute.

Shadow

It might be interesting to lock clans after the distro if we ever do this again.