Tattoo Vampire and Vacationing

Started by krazilec, February 17, 2009, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holby

I don't have a problem with Bob going on vacation, I think it's a valid tactic. But I don't believe that it's a time thing. Turbo runs are quicker, but the actual running isn't much faster than Reg, unless in a state where attacking is unnecessary.

With a lot of people running one after the other, it can take hours and hours. But it doesn't have to, if it was a priority for him to run. But it's not, it's just convenient for him to stay in protection.

I don't disapprove, but somebody please admit that it's tactical and not forced.
I will not deleted this

Briar

I think the conversation is more saying that, yes, it is a tactical move, but it is taking advantage of the code;thus, it is considered a low, tactical move.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Blobfish

Quote from: Briar on March 05, 2009, 08:24:52 AM
I think the conversation is more saying that, yes, it is a tactical move, but it is taking advantage of the code;thus, it is considered a low, tactical move.
Bob "busy" Sama is saying it isn't a tactical move, but that he doesn't have time. Snare is saying the same. Anyone with an ounce if common sense can tell they're not telling the truth
Worship the mighty Blobfish

Quote from: Blobfish on May 01, 2011, 12:04:37 PM
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.59

Rights are for the weak.

CobyCopper

Topics grow quite a bit. I'll be off again soon--gotta check up on a few things, which means I'll have to hop on the bus soon. Anyways--truth be told, it's both. I am quite busy and my schedule's up in the air. I don't have "regular hours" for my team--because the only way I'm on the 'net right now is to disconnect the wireless access point, which disconnects my sister's and my mom's laptops. Not appropriate while they're home or awake. Further, this dinky little laptop is having issues connecting to the access point and I just put in for an RMA (due a pair of manufacturing defects). That being said, it goes out tomorrow. On a side note, I've not been on MSN since I have had to restore factory image twice now, with a third coming shortly. I may still be logged on in Miami (yes, Florida, where I live for college), as I left my desktop running. It's probably off now, but it was left on when I left a week ago.

Moving on from that, I made a pair of "mistakes" (or for you, breaks) after going on vacation initially. I gave you guys 36 hours total to take all the land you wanted, including over your apparently "normal" play times. So far as I'm concerned, a point about code abuse being used to lock it away is moot. You had 3x the required vulnerable period and information that I wouldn't be coming  back to normal play for a while, so it'd be expected that by leaving vacation would lead to hopping back to vacation immediately. And that's exactly what happened.

Now then--I don't see the move as particularly tactical. Yes, land is locked away, but if it would be tactical, my team would have to benefit from it or yours suffer. Frankly, it's benefiting Woof, in that one half of the BlackFly planning committee is absent. And you showed that--you had nearly locked 150k acres and had a higher NW. Other than that, you've had a fun time trying to take pot-shots at me. Oh well--I'll be back soon enough. In other news, if it bothers you THAT much, what's keeping me from staying on vacation an additional day for each complaint in this forum? ::)

Blobfish

Quote from: CobyCopper on March 05, 2009, 11:49:16 AM
Topics grow quite a bit. I'll be off again soon--gotta check up on a few things, which means I'll have to hop on the bus soon. Anyways--truth be told, it's both. I am quite busy and my schedule's up in the air. I don't have "regular hours" for my team--because the only way I'm on the 'net right now is to disconnect the wireless access point, which disconnects my sister's and my mom's laptops. Not appropriate while they're home or awake. Further, this dinky little laptop is having issues connecting to the access point and I just put in for an RMA (due a pair of manufacturing defects). That being said, it goes out tomorrow. On a side note, I've not been on MSN since I have had to restore factory image twice now, with a third coming shortly. I may still be logged on in Miami (yes, Florida, where I live for college), as I left my desktop running. It's probably off now, but it was left on when I left a week ago.

Moving on from that, I made a pair of "mistakes" (or for you, breaks) after going on vacation initially. I gave you guys 36 hours total to take all the land you wanted, including over your apparently "normal" play times. So far as I'm concerned, a point about code abuse being used to lock it away is moot. You had 3x the required vulnerable period and information that I wouldn't be coming  back to normal play for a while, so it'd be expected that by leaving vacation would lead to hopping back to vacation immediately. And that's exactly what happened.

Now then--I don't see the move as particularly tactical. Yes, land is locked away, but if it would be tactical, my team would have to benefit from it or yours suffer. Frankly, it's benefiting Woof, in that one half of the BlackFly planning committee is absent. And you showed that--you had nearly locked 150k acres and had a higher NW. Other than that, you've had a fun time trying to take pot-shots at me. Oh well--I'll be back soon enough. In other news, if it bothers you THAT much, what's keeping me from staying on vacation an additional day for each complaint in this forum? ::)
"If you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"
Translated too...
"If you have to run, run! Don't talk!"
If you have time to make a post like that you have time do a quick run.

Rights are for the weak.

Wolf Snare

Firetooth, Freddy, whatever you want me to call you-- you completely miss the point.

I'm just done aknowledging you until you put even a tiny level of intelligence into your posts. You can repeat yourself as many times as you want. However making us repeat ourselves and actually explain the situation, to be mocked, won't be tollerated. Come on, I thought you grew out of this?
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

Quotewhat's keeping me from staying on vacation an additional day for each complaint in this forum?
that fact that you will likely lose even the respect of your own team for being that petty? Yeesh, aren't you supposed to be like 18?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gorak

I don't think he was serious shadow

I hope

and Freddy, I maintain that you are truly clueless
stop trying to lecture experienced players on clan runs.

it is possible to burn turns quickly
is not possible to pull of a meaningful co-ordinated run in a couple minutes, unless you have the luckiest sense of timing in the history of prom.
Your argument sums up to, "you should just burn turns so I might be able to capitalize on your inactivity."

now, I don't play turbo, so can't comment on running there, but when I played similar type proms, there was no need for co-ordinated runs as we all were pretty self sufficient for resources, and so I would complete a run in about 10 minutes or less.
On reg, however, effective clan play is dependent on resource sharing and co-operative turn use. Which can take hours.
My empire is in protection more then not, because I can't be at my comp alot of the times these runs happen, and running independent of these runs is a complete total waste.
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteMoving on from that, I made a pair of "mistakes" (or for you, breaks) after going on vacation initially. I gave you guys 36 hours total to take all the land you wanted, including over your apparently "normal" play times. So far as I'm concerned, a point about code abuse being used to lock it away is moot. You had 3x the required vulnerable period and information that I wouldn't be coming  back to normal play for a while, so it'd be expected that by leaving vacation would lead to hopping back to vacation immediately. And that's exactly what happened.

Whatever, just whatever, all we saw is you hopping in and out of vacation. You can claim whatever you wish, we reserve the right to believe you. I would go on, but it's just not worth. I still think it's a tactic on your part. You can bleat about necessity all you wish, I still think it's a tactic.

I don't think he was serious shadow

I hope

Us too.

Quoteis not possible to pull of a meaningful co-ordinated run in a couple minutes, unless you have the luckiest sense of timing in the history of prom.

On reg, however, effective clan play is dependent on resource sharing and co-operative turn use. Which can take hours.

My empire is in protection more then not, because I can't be at my comp alot of the times these runs happen, and running independent of these runs is a complete total waste.

True, but it doesn't have to take the hours League or TBV clan runs took either. Woof has managed meaningful clan runs of 4 people or more in under an hour. We can because we must, Shadow and I have constraints on our time. If I can manage to pull a free hour or so for a clan run out of my schedule, I think almost everyone else can too. I've pulled off clan runs on nights before tests or major papers being due, and still gotten A's. Needless to say, I have not put my empire in protection at any point during this war.

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Gorak

I should mention, I never actually put my empire in vaca
it just goes into pro cause I make a clan run about once a month
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Wolf Snare

Firetooths arguement is full of what-ifs, and doesn't even focus on the problem at hand.

Basically, getting to the main point, it is bob's right to decide if he wants to put in his full potential towards shool during finals. We all know it is stressful, and sometimes we just need a break from everything unrelated. Volk, you have vacationed plenty in the past, even during wars.

I know it is cheap to lock all of that land away and stress so much about not letting it go, but there is no rule against it and until then it can be considered a legitimate strategy. It handicaps us aswell as Woof, we dont get to use the land either. We dont make secret runs and benifit from it, Bob doesn't get turns while being in vacation; it's basically just a setback for the entire game.

That having been said, this tactic has been used before in the past and although it is unfair, and pisses people off, it is still legal as far as the rules state. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Wolf himself has used this in the past, and it has been deemed acceptable by people thus far. When someone makes a stink about unfair gameplay, it is usually analyzed and prevented; maybe we can play with that?  I admit I would be pissed off in your guys' position too, and I don't particularily like the idea of the strategy either, but until Bobs life gets less hectic, he will remain in vacation. Just stop whining about it firetooth.

Shadow, Volk, I respect that you both have been trying to get your opinions across on the matter, and you guys havent just been whining senseless gibberish, and therefore I responded to your points with my own. Yes, it's cheap, but as the coordinator (for the most part) of BlackFly, I will let you know we don't intend to take the lead using this tactic. As Bob said, you guys had 36 hours to free the land, and even ran while he was not in vacation. Once he's back, he's back for good, and mayhap Shael or wolf can make a likkle rule against it?

I can't really say much else on the idea because it's been said before. Just wait it out chaps, and we will have our war good and proper. Firetooth, take notes on your teammates' approaches on this, and follow suit if you want to be heard and understood, rather than just laughed at.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI should mention, I never actually put my empire in vaca
it just goes into pro cause I make a clan run about once a month

LOL. Nice Gorak.

Basically, getting to the main point, it is bob's right to decide if he wants to put in his full potential towards shool during finals. We all know it is stressful, and sometimes we just need a break from everything unrelated. Volk, you have vacationed plenty in the past, even during wars.

During wars? Maybe, though it must've been several resets ago. Otherwise, yeah, of course I've vaca'd in the past, but I almost always give fair warning, I'm almost sure I've never done it with that much land or NW.

QuoteI know it is cheap to lock all of that land away and stress so much about not letting it go, but there is no rule against it and until then it can be considered a legitimate strategy. It handicaps us aswell as Woof, we dont get to use the land either. We dont make secret runs and benifit from it, Bob doesn't get turns while being in vacation; it's basically just a setback for the entire game.

To your credit, you've not abused the feature, so at present it's just a cheap tactic and as you said, handicaps us both. But if Shadow and I can see the possibilities for abuse, then I know you guys can, so I think we are right to be worried about that.

QuoteThat having been said, this tactic has been used before in the past and although it is unfair, and pisses people off, it is still legal as far as the rules state. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Wolf himself has used this in the past, and it has been deemed acceptable by people thus far. When someone makes a stink about unfair gameplay, it is usually analyzed and prevented; maybe we can play with that?  I admit I would be pissed off in your guys' position too, and I don't particularily like the idea of the strategy either, but until Bobs life gets less hectic, he will remain in vacation.

Thanks for at least admitting that it is a tactic on your part, and not JUST because Bob's life is hectic. I don't remember wolf using this, but I was gone for good chunks of the time this game has been around for one reason or another, so I can't say he didn't for sure.

QuoteShadow, Volk, I respect that you both have been trying to get your opinions across on the matter, and you guys havent just been whining senseless gibberish, and therefore I responded to your points with my own. Yes, it's cheap, but as the coordinator (for the most part) of BlackFly, I will let you know we don't intend to take the lead using this tactic. As Bob said, you guys had 36 hours to free the land, and even ran while he was not in vacation. Once he's back, he's back for good, and mayhap Shael or wolf can make a likkle rule against it?

I think woof members did run turns while he was out of vaca, but no one in a position to do anything about Bob being out of vaca had turns when he was. Dunno know if that was planning or luck. I'd just prefer them to forbid taking the lead with this tactic, and just have a gentleman's agreement against doing what Bob has done so far. Because it is cheap, and it does hurt the game.

I can't really say much else on the idea because it's been said before. Just wait it out chaps, and we will have our war good and proper.

Yeah, we're just getting a little tired of waiting is all.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Blobfish

What I'm whining about is that your saying it's not a tactical move. At the least it is at least part tactical.

Rights are for the weak.

meestir amayzing

Quote from: Freddy Mercury on March 06, 2009, 03:28:19 AM
What I'm whining about is that your saying it's not a tactical move. At the least it is at least part tactical.

who are you again?

Briar

Quote from: meestir amayzing on March 06, 2009, 05:19:31 PM
Quote from: Freddy Mercury on March 06, 2009, 03:28:19 AM

who are you again?

It's Firetooth's alter-ego....
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?