What's the last great Microsoft Operating System?

Started by bjornredtail, January 07, 2009, 11:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is, or will be, the last great Microsoft Operating System?

Early DOS (up to ~5.0)
0 (0%)
Later DOS
0 (0%)
DOS+Windows 1.0-3.0
0 (0%)
DOS+Windowes 3.1
0 (0%)
DOS + Windows 3.11
0 (0%)
DOS + MS BOB
0 (0%)
Early NT (Pre 4.0)
0 (0%)
NT4
0 (0%)
Windows 95
0 (0%)
Windows 98
0 (0%)
Windows ME
0 (0%)
Windows 2000
1 (9.1%)
Windows XP (NT 5.1)
3 (27.3%)
Windows CE
0 (0%)
Windows XP (Embeeded)
5 (45.5%)
Vista
0 (0%)
Windows Server 2003
1 (9.1%)
Windows Server 2008
0 (0%)
"Windows 7"
0 (0%)
Another, far future system
0 (0%)
Other, existing system (Wait, there's more!?)
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Gorak

funny to say mac's become obsolete so fast when PC hardware is replacing its self what seems like every week

but the main reasons I like Mac over PC's is there is simply less to go wrong with no drivers or regrestry, with 90% of people running PC's, there's little worry about virus's or spyware, but the biggest reason is flat out performance.
I don't care what people here say by looking at numbers, I do a fair bit of video editing, recording, sampling and sound editing. I've done on both mac and PC, and no matter how "good" the PC is, there is no comparison in performance of both hardware and software between mac and PC, the Mac blows the PC away every time, badly
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

bjornredtail

It seems a lot of folks love embedded windows systems. But, XP embedded? If you are dealing with embedded hardware, you likely need more reliability than even this hardened version of windows can provide. To run it on a desktop, you gots to have some 1337 skilz and some awesome connections. So, I doubt that there that many folks on these forums who have acctually run it on a system. Or, even knowingly seen it run on a system.

OSX has certainly drivers, and it has dotfiles, which are kindof like a registry, but not as stupid. Perhaps you, as the consumer, don't have to worry about it as much, as Apple only has to support a limited set of the hardware out there, and thus can do a lot of the driver work themselves, implementing it someplace where it's inviable to the non-developer. But, I'm sure there's libraries for talking to hardware in there somewhere.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Peace Alliance

They're confusing embedded with XP SP3 or whatevs.

I'm not sure if Windows 7 will make or break the windows brand... They've still got a tight grip on the OS neck.

Ruatine

I've worked with computers using DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP (SP3) and Vista. My preference is XP SP3. It's user-friendly, and I've not gotten annoyed with it as much as Vista or other earlier operating systems.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart