Xbox or Playstation?

Started by Sharptooh, December 09, 2008, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the two do you think is better?

An xbox 360
7 (63.6%)
A Playstation 3
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Sharptooh

People at school have been going on about it for ages and just out of curiosity I wanted to know what everyone else think . . . well ok I'm a bit bored too.

windhound

http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=8809.0
Topic was done a year ago.

Wii.

The 360 console has a rather short life span.  I'm kinda hoping their newest models have addressed the overheating issue.  There are some good games for the 360.  But, I dont want to pay for Live, despite how nice it is.  I dont play enough to justify a subscription fee, but fora good amount of 360 games the main draw is the online play.
The PS3 has very few games that interest me, and they're all expensive.  Sony also cheaped out and broke PS2 compatibility, only the first run have it.

Nintendo hardware tends to last forever, even with a good thrashing.  My little brother's gamecube is a perfect example.
The Wii online system isnt as impressive as Live, but it works fine and is free.  Backwards compatibility works perfectly.  Even support for the GC controller in some Wii games...  which is nice, because I'm honestly not overfond of the wiimote.  Graphics dont bother me much, my current setup doesnt support HD anyways.  Plus, fun games > shiney games. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThe PS3 has very few games that interest me, and they're all expensive.  Sony also cheaped out and broke PS2 compatibility, only the first run have it.

Release versions had it, and the next iteration did, they took it out in the 3rd version to cut the price. My PS3 can play all my PS2 games. Besides, the new games for all the consoles are expensive. Wii games are like 50, 360 and PS3 games are like 60.

I have a 360 and a PS3, I like the PS3 better.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

Yes.  Thus the "first run" bit...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Retail_configurations only the first run consoles released November 2006 had the emotion engine required to run PS2 games properly.  Timeline if you want...  It started with the 20 and 60 gig in North America (which is all I'm looking at), the 20 was killed off but the 60 hung around till its price was slashed and replaced with the non-emotion 80.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I didnt know they dropped software support for the PS2 in the newest models.  Kinda odd, I guess they figured all or nothing...  and I dont think the software emulation worked particularly well anyways.  Infact, the new PS3's are lacking quite a bit the original model had.  How odd.  I guess they figured they had to cut prices... and they did too, it was wayy too high on launch, lol.
Considering it -is- a blueray player its not -bad- value...  but eh.  I dont think DVD is going anywhere.  There were real reasons to go from vhs to dvd...  the slight nudge in quality (even less considering the neat upconverting dvd players) doesnt really justify it for most people.  Blueray isnt carrying the PS3 like DVD did the PS2.

The Xbox 360 is also noisier than I'd expect...  My older-little brother had one for a while, and he was very careful with it, but it was noisy and rather warm... and eventually redringed.  He used his warrenty at BestBuy, got a new one and sold it.

But yeah.  It likely just matters what kind of gamer you are... 
a Wii suits me fine, and my little purple gamecube still trundles along.  Cheap used games ftw!
Although the PS2 is currently king in that category...  all the local Gamestops are swamped, they cant get rid of them.  There were soo many games released for the PS2, 's crazy.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

kell

x-box for online games.
ps3 for everything else.... pro evo is king
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

Gen. Volkov

QuoteYes.  Thus the "first run" bit...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Retail_configurations only the first run consoles released November 2006 had the emotion engine required to run PS2 games properly.  Timeline if you want...  It started with the 20 and 60 gig in North America (which is all I'm looking at), the 20 was killed off but the 60 hung around till its price was slashed and replaced with the non-emotion 80.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Oh, yeah, you're correct, but the software emulation in the 80 is actually pretty much just as good as the emotion engine. A few glitches every once in awhile, but not to bad overall.

QuoteI didnt know they dropped software support for the PS2 in the newest models.  Kinda odd, I guess they figured all or nothing...  and I dont think the software emulation worked particularly well anyways.

Yeah, they had to drop something to keep the price down, so the emulation engine for PS2 and I think PS1 games got chucked. The emulation worked fine though, as I mentioned above. It plays all my PS2 games no problem. The 360 and the Wii both use emulators to run the older games. The distinguishing feature of the release version of the PS3 was the additional hardware that the other tow systems didn't have. Jacked the price too high though.

QuoteConsidering it -is- a blueray player its not -bad- value...  but eh.  I dont think DVD is going anywhere.  There were real reasons to go from vhs to dvd...  the slight nudge in quality (even less considering the neat upconverting dvd players) doesnt really justify it for most people.  Blueray isnt carrying the PS3 like DVD did the PS2.

Dunno about that. Blue Ray just won the HD battle, whereas DVDs were already established when the PS2 came on the market. The don't sell non-HD TV's anymore, I think there's going to be an increase in Blue Ray sales in the future. Just a hunch.

The Xbox 360 is also noisier than I'd expect...

Yeah, it sounds like a computer, which it basically is. It's a stripped down version of a gaming computer.

QuoteAlthough the PS2 is currently king in that category...  all the local Gamestops are swamped, they cant get rid of them.  There were soo many games released for the PS2, 's crazy.

That's partially why I got the PS3, the PS2 and PS1 game libraries are gigantic. Most of my games are still PS2 and PS1 games. I only have 4 PS3 games. Anyway, I'm not a Wii sort of gamer. The titles I like generally aren't released for the Wii.

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ruatine

Prefer 360 to Playstation. I'm not into a lot of the games released for Playstation exclusively, and I think the 360 is more user-friendly. Never had a problem with my 360 overheating, but I've only had it for about 9 months now. I've only noticed a noise issue with certain games (like Fable II), but my surround sound drowns out any noise while I'm playing. Use Live quite a bit for downloads and to play with friends across the country. *shrugs* If I had unlimited resources, I'd probably buy a Playstation (already have a Wii), but until I pay off student loans, there are other things to save for.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Peace Alliance

Well i change my opinion from a year ago.

I beilieve that each consol suits different needs. They've all done a good job of grabbing a corner of the market in order to avoid redundancy. Although i think the PS3 would suit me best.

Sharptooh

I'd choose the xbox 360, I guess having an xbox for 7 years without any real problems helps,
Quote from: windhound on December 09, 2008, 03:50:42 PM
There are some good games for the 360.  But, I dont want to pay for Live, despite how nice it is.  I dont play enough to justify a subscription fee, but for a good amount of 360 games the main draw is the online play.
The PS3 has very few games that interest me, and they're all expensive.  Sony also cheaped out and broke PS2 compatibility, only the first run have it.

PS 2 compatibility imo was the most important thing about the ps3, with so many ps2's out there it's no good if the ps3 doesn't have ps2 compatibility.

Roselin Poisonblade

I realy like the PS3 only cause there is more games that I like on it than 360. But yeah Wii is the best.

Firetooth

I dunno which I'd prefer, but I've never played on a ps3. The price seems a little high but you have to pay for quality.
I do like the nintendo wii, but it doesn't suit every type of gamer.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.