Vote for the song you like best

Amorphis - House of Sleep
5 (55.6%)
Freak Kitchen - Mussolini Mind
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Gorak

this is something a used to do a couple years ago at Valhall
rules are simple, 2 songs get posted, you have 1 week to vote on which is better
the winner goes on for another week to face a new challenger.

I take requests for new challengers, but please, try to refrain from top 40. This is meant to showcase music you might not otherwise hear.

any and all genres welcome

I'll post links to where you can hear the songs

For week one, we are limited to my collection for both songs, as no chance for requests
so the contenders are

1. Amorphis - House of Sleep - http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzjmdl3gyqz/02 House Of Sleep.mp3

vs

2. Freak Kitchen - Mussolini Mind - http://www.mediafire.com/file/azqnjyyzzr2/05 Mussolini Mind.MP3

place your vote, post reasons, suggestions and requests
may also PM me requests
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Holby

What a good idea.

But how do you win?
I will not deleted this

Gorak

song with most votes goes on, other fades back into obscurity
vote for one you like best, request next week's challenger, see how it does

Holby

Thankfully, there was no screaming.

I liked House of Sleep better. Probably just because the chorus in Mussolini Mind was annoying me. House of Sleep was almost catchy, it kinda reminded me of HIM. (Please excuse the poor comparison, I don't listen to metal.) I could definitely listen to it, and I wasn't being assaulted with too many layers of 'noise'.

The vocals in Mussolini Mind drove me up the wall. Lyrically it's probably more interesting, but I couldn't get over how American it sounded.
I will not deleted this

Juska

House of Sleep gets my vote, while I enjoyed both songs, the instrumentals in House of Sleep were much better and after listening to the other a few times I started to get annoyed with the lead singers voice in Mussolini Mind.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Marell

Hey great idea.

I gotta say I enjoyed both of these songs, and I look forward to being introduced to more good music through this competition.

At first I was also going to go with House of Sleep, with its fuller sound and more melodic instrumentals, but after a few more listens i'd changed my mind.
Mussolini Mind gets my vote...contrary to the previous posts, I actually prefer the vocals in this one. It contains a great blend of heavy riffs and some beautiful guitarwork, particularly the solo about halfway through.

Request for next week: Roquefort by Karnivool

Gorak

Quote from: Holby on November 30, 2008, 05:06:08 PM

The vocals in Mussolini Mind drove me up the wall. Lyrically it's probably more interesting, but I couldn't get over how American it sounded.

ha ha ha ha
they're Swedish

That's Matias IA Eklundh Singing and playing lead guitar

but personally, I'm more into Amorphis, I just posted some freak kitchen 'cause it was different

Holby

Quote from: Gorak on December 01, 2008, 01:15:36 AM
Quote from: Holby on November 30, 2008, 05:06:08 PM

ha ha ha ha
they're Swedish
Yeah, that's why it annoyed me. I looked them up ;)
I will not deleted this

Gen. Volkov

Needs a null vote, I didn't particularly like either of them.

Holby, I wouldn't really consider either of those bands "metal".

I guess Mussolini mind though, if I have to pick.

BTW, would you consider Mastodon a "Top 40" band? If you don't, I suggest "Capillarian Crest". I rather like it. Though it would probably lose, as most people aren't metal fans. Metallica is definitely a Top 40 band, otherwise I would suggest something off their older albums.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Gorak

Mastadon is definately not top 40 in my mind

what I meant by that was the songs currently being played to death on the radio and such
Metallica is kinda a grey area there

Gen. Volkov

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Gorak

Gorak

Times up
Amorphis' House of Sleep wins 5-3

and will go on for another week