What does your firefox look like?

Started by ImperialPhoenix, June 24, 2008, 05:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorak

I tried Opera, way, way too slow
Safari for window, very buggy (no surprise there)

Firefox is still best
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

windhound

Opera is supposed to be one of the fastest browsers, I just cant stand its UI
Safari for windows was never really meant to be a consumer browser...  rather, an easy way for non-mac users to test their websites on safari alongside IE and Firefox
All the browsers render things differently, which makes creating websites slightly annoying

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gorak

don't care what opera was supposed to be
it's the slowest browser I have
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Sharptooh

I downloaded firefox to our desktop and it honestly doesn't seem faster at all?

Quote from: Coral on June 28, 2008, 02:39:14 PM
Firefox has a myriad of plug-ins, add-ons, skins, you name it. Firefox complies to standards, IE barely does and was essentially forced. Standards compliance is important because it determines how webpages are displayed across different browsers. And why stayed plugged in to the Microsoft machine? Break away! Be free! *cough*
Look around the web for some benchmarking tools that can tell you how fast a browser renders webpages.
http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html - javascript
and there are some others really easy to find.

I tired that with IE 8 and it seemed to download most of them in under 400 ms, I haven't tried firefox yet, could be interesting.

windhound

Heh.  Firefox will /not/ improve your Download speed.  That's entirely dependent on your ISP and what plan you have. 
What it will improve is the speed between the time that a page is downloaded and when its displayed
It may not even be a discernible difference, depending on your internet plan and your computer speed. 

And sorry Gorak, you're an anomaly.  Almost all other people who use opera say its one of the fastest browsers...  most dont continue to use it because it doesn't 'feel' right
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Sharptooh

Yeah that's why I'm not too bothered about getting a faster browser cause I have a good internet speed  :)
  Never tried opera either, this is a whole new world to me lol.

windhound

lol Sharptooth
The difference between browsers is most felt when you have a fast internet and fast computer
On a slow internet you wont really notice, as the browser has plenty of time to render the data as it comes in slowly but surely.  On a fast internet it has to process whats coming in fast and efficiently

So, having a fast internet you should be interested in trying other browsers to see if you can notice any speed difference.
For me its mostly UI.  I'll stand a slightly slower browser to have an interface that agrees with me...  fortunately both Firefox and Camino have good interfaces and very good speed so I dont have to compromise

Coral

^ Do you think Camino will adopt the latest improvements to Gecko?
I definitely agree that interface is important and therefore really struggle with Windows in general but especially IE.
Figure Apes are running about.
New here.

Sharptooh

Looked up gecko. what is the main difference between it and tirdent, and what exactly is it/does it do?

Sorry for all the questions lol