Dubai is nuts

Started by The Lady Shael, February 18, 2008, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

Holy freaking insanity. Where is this place, and where are they getting all their cash?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

http://www.digg.com/travel_places/Dubai_Architecture_Dubai_is_NUTS  digg article...  comments are always interesting...  not insightful or even truthful most of the time, but interesting none the less

as for where the money comes from...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai#Economy

I'll be curious what all that looks like 10 years down the road...  that underwater hotel is really neat, but the maintenance is likely to be rough...
and those islands...  probably require constant maintenance to stop the ocean from reclaiming them.  I saw an article on them a while back, will have to look it up again...  they're quite a feat
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

No, the Prince of Dubai is smart as hell. He knows the oil will be gone in 20 years. So he's taking the profits from it now, and reinvesting in something that will last them forever. Dubai, due to all the crap that it's building, is going to rapidly become the world's #1 tourism destination. Tourism and ecotourism is already big business in some areas, but Dubai has the advantage of previous wealth. It is about to absolutely corner that market. The world's 3 tallest buildings, multiple high quality hotels, and the world's biggest amusement complex = Massive tourism bucks. Smart cookie, that prince.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES