screamo

Started by Deathclaw, July 01, 2006, 05:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

do you like screamo

yes
no
what is it

Gen. Volkov

Success does not equal talent or good music. Just think of the one hit wonders, or the fad groups like the Spice Girls. Sure, they were successful for a time, but that was more based on other things, rather than actual true talent, and really being good. If one of these screamo bands has the longevity and success of say, Aerosmith or Metallica, then I'll admit they were good. But somehow I doubt any of them will.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Gorak

again, these people are selling alot of albums playing their own songs that are exactically what love to play.
short term fad or not, if there was no talent, they wouldn't be selling any albums.

and unless you are selling more albums then they are, you don't have much of a basis to say they are talentless.

I hate Pop, Hip Hop & country, but I'm not gonna go around saying that people who play those styles of music suck or are talentless, just because I don't like them.
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Gen. Volkov

I have every right to say what I think about them. And the fact that I am not a recording artist has no bearing on whether or not I have a basis to say if they are talentless. I have the ability, like most humans, to decode vibrations in the air into coherent sounds, and to judge whether those sounds are good.

And you are wrong, a short term fad does not equal talent, unless you think that just because everyone has decided to lick toads it makes it a good idea, the same group dynamics at work there are at work in a music fad. People here that others like them, and thikn they are good, and convince themselves that they agree to fit in. The counterculture can be just as conformist as the mainstream.

So again, if one of these bands even approaches the phenomenal success and endurance that Metallica has had, I will admit that the particular band is/was good. Until then, I am of the opinion that most screamo and emo groups are not good. And you aren't going to change that. But hey, maybe I just judge to harshly because I happen to like bands and artists who were and are exceptionally talented.   
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Gorak

I have no intention of trying to make you like screamo (I hate most of it meself)
just to admit that just because you don't like a particular artist, it doesn't mean they suck or are talentless.

and any success in music takes a level of talent (doesn't mean they are the most talented ever, just have some)
but if they had no talent, they would have no rythem, they would not be playing with each other at all, they would "train wreck" every performance, and would never sell an album.
but these guys who are reaching a level of success are tight together, playing good live shows.
just cause they use the typical, waaaaaaaaaaay over used, drop C# power chording doesn't make them talentless.
For all you know, they could be closet shedders who just chose not to show off for the sake of the demographic they are trying to reach.

Gen. Volkov

I'm sorry, but I don't consider the ability to play a few power chords talent. Now this is just opinion, but if they are closet shredders, they should be able to show at least an inkling of that in the music. So I'm going to go with the guilty until proven innocent mode of thinking. My reasons for not liking extend beyond them being talentless hacks, but I haven't mentioned any of them because they are just opinion. But to me, it should be about the music, not the lyrics and the album sales. I was listening to Van Halen's "You really got me" earlier today, and I was once again just floored by that opening solo. My favorite bands and albums are the ones that consist of less then half singing. If there is 1.5 hours of music on the CD, and 50 mins of it is just them playing some kickass music, with face-melting guitar solo's or gutbusting drum solos, (Or Cliff Burton's 4 or 5 minute bass solo on "Kill em' all") I'm a happy guy.

Gorak

considering this debate, I figured I should listen to some screamo, (as I said I hate most of it and never listen to it)
so, since UnderOath was mentioned (and a friend just gave me 3 of their albums) I figured I'd start with them.
and I must say, I am impressed! their intricate guitar harmonys and delay work are stellar! though I hate their vocals, mucically they are really good!
tons of potential and talent there

Gen. Volkov

Maybe one song is not a large enough sample group, but I didn't notice any of that when I listened to one of their songs..., but that could just be that I listened to the wrong song.

Duskslash Mercenaries

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! TURNITOFFTURNITOFFTURNITOFF!!![/glow]

Gorak

I may of spoke too soon, so far they have 1 good song :-P

Gen. Volkov

TR Shadow

My brother listens to Screamo and he tells me my music (TMBG, Talking Heads, Flaming Lips, REM, XTC, ect...) lacks talent.  =\

Let me save you the typing, Deathclaw: "Well, they do!"

Gen. Volkov

No offense, but your brother is a freaking idiot. XD.