will the US advance?

Started by Deathclaw, June 21, 2006, 12:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will the US go through to the round of 16 in the world cup?

yes
no

Deathclaw

I say yes. Italy should beat the out of form Czech Republic, and the US will fight hard to beat Ghana.

Advancement Scenarios (all dependent upon a United States win):   

1. Italy defeats the Czech Republic.

2. Italy ties the Czech Republic 0-0 or 1-1 AND the United States beats Ghana by at least four goals.

3. Italy ties the Czech Republic 2-2 or with a higher score AND the United States beats Ghana by five or more goals.

4. Italy ties the Czech Republic 2-2 or with a higher score AND the United States beats Ghana by four goals AND the U.S. team scores at least three goals more than the Czechs do in their tie.

5. The Czech Republic beats Italy AND the total combined margin of victory for the Americans and Czechs is six or more.

6. The Czech Republic beats Italy AND the total combined margin of victory for the Americans and Czechs is five AND the U.S. team scores at least three goals more than the Italians do in their loss.

7. The Czech Republic beats Italy AND the total combined margin of victory for the Americans and Czechs is five AND the U.S. team scores exactly two more goals than the Italians do in their loss AND the Americans win a drawing of lots by FIFA.

Glory, Glory, Man United!

Gen. Volkov

Ok, the only one that's plausible is both the US and Italy winning, there is no way we are beating Ghana by 3 goals, let alone 4. If Italy loses or ties, we are not advancing. Too bad. Soccer is not America's sport.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Deathclaw

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on June 21, 2006, 02:55:58 PM
Ok, the only one that's plausible is both the US and Italy winning, there is no way we are beating Ghana by 3 goals, let alone 4. If Italy loses or ties, we are not advancing. Too bad. Soccer is not America's sport.

If our forwards find their finishing touch then we could beat Ghana by 3, and once it gets to three its a rout and more goals could come easily. I'm not saying I think it will happen, but if McBride and Johnson can play to the level their capable of, I wouldn't put it past us. Donovan has 25 international goals already, only 9 behind Wynalda for the all time lead so he is capable of destroying that Ghana defense. Reyna can set it all up with his passing as well. I expect the US to win by at least 2. Italy should be able to win though, with the poor form for Czech Republic and with a lot of key players being out, especially with their top two strikers out in Baros and Koller. They only run a system with 1 striker so it comes down to their 3rd striker and he might be injured I'm not sure. Asamoah Gyan is suspended and some other Ghana player is as well. Ghana's attack will be weaker with Asamoah Gyan out, but he didn't deserve the yellow that got him suspended for taking a penalty when someone in the crowd blew a whistle and he thought it was the ref.

Gen. Volkov

*Shrug* Whatever you say man. Though aren't we in last place in our group? That means Ghana has beaten more teams than us. Or at least scored more goals. Also, was Italy the best team in our group? Because that would make me feel more confident about the whole winning thing. Our only goal so far was because of an Italian mistake.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Deathclaw

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on June 21, 2006, 05:05:12 PM
*Shrug* Whatever you say man. Though aren't we in last place in our group? That means Ghana has beaten more teams than us. Or at least scored more goals. Also, was Italy the best team in our group? Because that would make me feel more confident about the whole winning thing. Our only goal so far was because of an Italian mistake.

The only reason we are last in the group is because of the ref in the Italy match. He should never have sent off Mastroeni and Pope. Mastroeni's tackle is a yellow anywhere in the world and Pope's second yellow was a clean tackle. And Beasley got unlucky to have McBride in the keepers way and in an offside position, but Buffon would have never saved it even if he had clear sight of the shot. Ghana beat Czech Republic because the Czech are out of form, and don't deserve #2 in the world. Plus they have 2 fit forwards, and one is suspended for the match against Italy so their 4th forward in their squad is going to be starting unless Milan Baros recovers. Italy should win, they are only missing De Rossi due to his sending off. Ujfalusi is suspended for the Czech's so their defense will be a little weakened. I'm confident about the US advancing to the knockout round. Ghana should be an easy match if the guys play like they did vs. Italy, and the 2 suspended players won't kill us because of the depth in our squad.

Gen. Volkov

Ok, you know more than I. Do you think there's much chance of us getting past the knockout round?

artu

they should beat ghana but will Italy win?

Deathclaw

I think Italy should beat Czech Republic for the following reasons:

1) Ujfalusi and Lojvenc are suspended, Baros and Koller are hurt. They have 1 fit forward, their fourth best one.
2) Czech Republic is off form, the Ghana match shows that.

And as to us getting past the knockout round... Assuming we go on, we have to face Brazil. They are the defending champions but they haven't played to their potential. It will be the biggest match in US history, and Brazil will be heavy favorites, but anything can happen in the knockout round and guys who are in their last World Cup (such as Reyna, McBride, Keller, etc.) will play their hearts out. Keller will have to be a beast if we face Brazil but he is the best in the world for the past year. I will be worried about facing Brazil but it is a great opportunity to show how far American soccer has come.

Deathclaw

Ghana loss:

Reyna, the best American player, screwed up. Shouldn't have ever been caught in possession in the defensive third. Donovan wasn't playing well. Beasley came in spurts. The penalty was one of the worse calls of the World Cup. Gooch had his hands at his side and Merk still called it. No wonder Harry Kewell caused him out after the Australia-Brazil match. 4-5-1? It didn't work last match, Eddie Johnson should have started. Bruce Arena screwed up. He will probably get fired and hopefully the German manager Klinsmann gets hired, he lives in the United States anyway.