Starter Server

Started by wolf bite, February 24, 2005, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

I have been very busy this last week and have had no time to post. But something in the ?realization post? gave me an idea. I thought it was better to spit it off here as it could get the attention it deserves.

On the point about a ?newbe? server, I had mentioned this a few times before that it would be great to have a place to try different strats and to teach new people. The problem would be that the older players would wipe out the new people.

But I think I have a better way to do it now. What if we had a server that gave 2000 turns to start, and then no more turns. There would be a chat room on the side. And once you have used all your turns, you have unlimited, always successful, spies which would give you their ?army status? page which includes buildings. Starting a multi account is legal, but the previous accounts with the same IP stays active, but can no longer be logged into.

Here is what these parameters would do.

Average players could try new ways of playing without risking anything. Once they use 2000 turns they have their answer if their new strat will work. If they start a new account, the last one is just land for the taking.

Experienced players, after using their 2000 turns, can sit on line in the chat room, and as new players sign on, they can unlimitedly spy the new players ?army status? page and instruct them on how to play the game. There is no emperor and limited turns, so they can?t take over the game.

New players can make accounts, find people on line and find an on line teacher to help them learn the game before joining the ?real? servers. The teacher and the new person will have ful contact and the Teacher can watch what the New person is doing by looking at their Army status page. The new player will have the chat room on the side to instantly contact whomever is on line and will fit in sooner as they will meet people right off the bat.

Old members along with new will have a constant chat room were people can get to know each other better. This will give people more of a reason to stay on line with the extra chat room were people can hang out. Thus more people will hang around this site.

What do you think?

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

Now THAT, is a GREAT idea. You are a genius Wolf. *Bows to your superior idea skillz* I have no modfications to it except for one. Increase the amount of turns you start off with. 2000 turns is only 4 or so normal runs at full turns. Other than that I have one thing to say. RETTO DO THIS!

Though in addition to this a server set up that was like the very first server would also be nice. Alot of people seem to want that. Or at least the code from BAX before Marten and Wildcat.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

andrew

you can still take over

create 50 accounts with no defense and explore 2000 with each
51st account attacks all accounts and takes over

pointless but true  :D  

Arguia Zsah

Spiffy idea!!!  :D  

Gen. Volkov

So then limit the number of accounts you can have. And you can take over, but only for a bit. You have a limited number of turns.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

wolf bite

Quote from: andrewyou can still take over

create 50 accounts with no defense and explore 2000 with each
51st account attacks all accounts and takes over

pointless but true  :D
Point being, who cares? There is no winner and you run out of turns after you use them. If someone has a day to waste and spends it scouting for land only so one account can take it so they can see themselves on the top with no more turns, fine. They win what? All that leaves is more accounts with low land for the new player tp practice on.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Deathclaw

Good idea, Wolf, it would work.  
Glory, Glory, Man United!

The Lady Shael

It is a good idea, but the teacher-student thing doesn't seem to have worked so well in the past, truthfully. We have plenty of willing teachers, but there just aren't any students. It might be either they don't visit the forum or they prefer to learn on their own. With the chat room though, perhaps that might change. The chat room is an awesome idea in itself for reasons too numerous to list.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.