Christmas is still going on

Started by Menatus, December 28, 2004, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~>John<~

While what volkov says is true it is not the whole truth, church also decided a preporatory length of time was needed to contemplate Jesus suffering before Good Friday and so we pushed it back too
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

RazorClaw

Volkov, do you know the exact day of Beethoven's birthday, for sure? Do you know what day Aristotle was born on, exactly? Even what season? The fact is, it is a celebration of Christ's birthday, and so you guys waltz in and say "Hey! I want presents too! And hey! everything's on sale during the Christian holiday! We'll just steal it!" The Catholic Church at least had a decent reason for celebrating Christmas when they did. You know, I find that I'm far more accepting than some other people. I saw a topic on another board entitled, "Happy Winter Solstice, You Pagan (donkey)holes!"

missbehavin

Quote from: RazorClawVolkov, do you know the exact day of Beethoven's birthday, for sure? Do you know what day Aristotle was born on, exactly? Even what season? The fact is, it is a celebration of Christ's birthday, and so you guys waltz in and say "Hey! I want presents too! And hey! everything's on sale during the Christian holiday! We'll just steal it!" The Catholic Church at least had a decent reason for celebrating Christmas when they did. You know, I find that I'm far more accepting than some other people. I saw a topic on another board entitled, "Happy Winter Solstice, You Pagan (donkey)holes!"
::agrees::  
~Missbehavin'

Menatus

Well, Volkov is just a silly person, what can you blame him?

Gen. Volkov

Am not a silly person! And I'll prove it!

And actually I do know Beethoven's birthdate, it was 17 Dec. 1770. Actually to be more precise that was the date he was baptized for. As to Aristotle, well there is some debate as to whether he actually existed, and of course the exact season or date is unknown, but it is generally accepted that he was born sometime in 384 BC. So perhaps those were bad questions to ask.. but I get your point. However, Christmas is no longer simply the celebration of Christ's birth, it has become more than that. As to the reason the Catholic church did it, well I tried to be nice about it, but the real reason was to destroy all the other religions of the day by absorbing their holidays.

SEE!
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Menatus

You looked those both up to sound smart, so it doesn't really mean anything. :P And it's quite obvious you did, too.

SEE?

Gen. Volkov

Did not! LOL. Ok yes I did look the Beethoven thing up, but the Aristotle one I already knew. And anyway its really beside the point. My point is, you guys are making this huge deal about it being Christ's birth that we are celebrating when really he was born then, and anyway christmas isn't really about that anyway. Maybe in the beginning it was, but now its about giving and recieving and generally being nice to one another. Which is the essence of Christ's teachings ANYWAY. So why don't all you silly fundies calm down and leave people like me alone? I didn't reject christianity from ignorance you know, it was an informed decision. I prolly know more about christianity than most CHRISTIANS!
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Arguia Zsah

*sigh*
Christmas is over for another year...
*sigh*