Redcon '06

Started by Larrusus Deathspear, June 02, 2004, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrusus Deathspear

No-one else seems to be posting, so I compiled everything that?s been said into this large post, lots of what I say is regurgitation of what others have said, but whatever.

RedCon ?06
Basic information:
Who: At least a hundred people (not counting staff)
What: A Redwall convention
When: A weekend late in June in 2006
Where: a hotel and convention center in Chicago
Why: To celebrate Redwall and the ROC

Activities:
+Boffer Weapons: foam weapons that we could have large battles with
+Face painting, mask making: I mean nice masks, that look awesome
+Redwall write your own skit: several short plays in which the audience chooses one of several plot twists to decide how the story goes
+Redwall trivia game show: self-explanatory
+several computers with webcams or logged into a chat room so people can communicate with other fans to far away to came
+Redwall Pub/VIP lounge: Drinks refreshments and a place to talk to other Redwallers, as well as famous ROC?ers and maybe BJ himself
+Shops selling merchandise: masks, recipe books, boffer weapons, artwork, T shirts, etc.
+Attack the abbey game: one group (vermin) build a catapult while abbeymice build the abbey from cardboard boxes, then vermin try to knock it down with catapult thay built, or something like that
+awareness booth: hands out business cards for ROC sites
+BJ if he can make it will do book signings, talks, etc.

Schedule, rough draft of how everything will work:

Friday:
+staff comes down Friday afternoon and sets up activities at convention center
+Begin cooking and preparations for Saturday dinner
Saturday:
+most participants arrive early morning or afternoon, so activities, mass ice-breaker game
+Lunch is basic sandwiches and drinks, fruit,
+Evening is some yet-undecided activity
+Saturday Dinner is Redwall themed cooking with dishes from the books
+everyone goes to bed in hotel
Sunday:
+Breakfast is provided by the hotel
+At 10:00 activities begin and last most of the day
+10:30 Door prizes given away
+Lunch is a light meal of make your own salad, tea, biscuits, and fruit
+activities until 3:30
+Wrap up talks by organizers, good-byes
+Cleanup by organizers form 4:00 to 4:30
+checkout of hotel at 5:00
+RedCon ?06 ends

Pricing, other info
+This will only work is 90-100 people show up
+Ideal age would be 13-20

+ Price for hotel room would be $100, We will get rooms with 2 double beds, one person to each bed, possibly another in one of those cots or on the couch so you would either par $50 or $30.
+small convention area/center would be $1,000 to $2,000 unless we find some other way to get a large area ($10-$20)
+Food would be $7-$15 for 1 dinner and 2 lunches
+supplies for everything else would be another $10 ($1000 total)

+Best case scenario 30+N/A+10+10=$50
worst case scenario 50+20+15+10=$95

So the price will be anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks, Though, the larger the group, the cheaper it will be.

To do list:
1. BJ needs to hear about this and OK it
2. We need to check interest, get everything Redwall related on the internet to ask people if they pay $50 to $100 to  take part in RedCon
3. I there are enough people interested, we collect e-mail addresses and begin to send newsletters/updates to everyone
4. Mass brainstorming of all ideas
5. Find the hotel and check convention center we?re going to use
6. Get logistics on some of the activities, test them, begin making costumes and other things, find food prices for amount we think is going
7. Make an official info sheet, with pricing, contact info, dates, times, and a full schedule. Distribute these across the ROC
8. Get a list of everyone officially going
9. Collect money, book, hotel, convention center, arrange transportation, everything for the booths/activities that needs to be made is
10. About a week before RedCon, food is bought, everybody packs and last-minute stuff is taken care of
11. Redcon Begins!

If there is anything I missed please tell me
Jesus Is a LIE
One of my classmates remarked that I "emanate evil"
MY science teahcer thinks i'm a muslim extremist
The mormons came to my house and I told them I worship satan
My neighbour think that I perform evil rituals on my porch when i burn candles
maybe I should run for president......

Regular Era 2
#391 Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 3
#92   Slazzar Ectalask
#214  Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 4
#37    Slasssk troopers

Randag

It'll be in July, not June.

I do have one question: Who are you?

-Ran!
Walk With Pride, Protect Like The Night!
Harness Your Potential, Regret Nothing!

"Ash nazg durbatul?k, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatul?k, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

RedCon-Forums--- AK_f00 ---RedCon-Website
Destined For Greatness, But Pacing Myself!
You Know Me! You Just Don't Know It Yet!

calria

Most hotels allow 4 to a room, and once on a convention trip I went on we even had five. So, since most of us are going to have LOW budgets for this, we can go pretty cheap, really. If it were 4 to a room, that would be what, $25 each? And at the very least, staff is probably going to want to room together anyway, and I know most ROCers know at least 3 people well enough to room with them.

Larrusus Deathspear

Who am I, Umm I've been off and on in different ROC sites for like 4 years, I didn't notice this until a few days ago the idea cought me, and if it's 4 or 5 to a room, then some plaves which are 80$ a night could be only $20, what do you think of the other activity ideas
Jesus Is a LIE

Regular Era 2
#391 Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 3
#92   Slazzar Ectalask
#214  Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 4
#37    Slasssk troopers

Scarwake

*wonders how you got the schedule that we(the staff) did not obtain*

Hmmm.....Odd, 4yrs....Interesting...ME TOO! or is this...no, nevermind....I think I've seen you at other sites before...

Neways....Propose your Ideas, don't just plop them into our planners*checks to see if he has a planner book thingy*  Well, someone's planner...Not very nice you, ya know.
And ummm....The price of rooms would be more than $20-25 per person even with sharing....The $20-25 thing would be per night if you think about it. So...yeah..

*goes to involve himself in his music and leaves his Technical Coordinator position to rest for now*  I'll be back later, when I feel the urge to post again....
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Randag

Okay, earlier I was busy, so I didn't have time to respond properly to you, Larrusus, but I will now.

First you must know that RedCon is being set up by a number of people. We call ourselves the RedCon Staff, if you want to be a member of the staff, you'll have to ask the directors (there are four) if you can join.
Since you've put a lot of work and time into your post, that will probably favour the idea of you getting a position.

Secondly, thank you for your post. It might be useful, but I must let you know that a lot (if not all) of what you've posted has been considered and is being organised already, so there really isn't much need for most of it. Had you been on the staff you'd know: most of what has been done already; what is being done; and what need not be brought up just yet, as it not pertinent.

I'd be happy to tell you what has been done, and what we are currently focusing on, but that would work best on a one-to-one basis (in a chat or through e-mail/PM), as I don't like the idea of telling everyone exactly what's happening, because then there would be no surprise (and where's the fun in that?).

And now, just to comment of a few things you mentioned:
Your shedule is a bit odd. What kind of Con do you think this will be? A lot of what you are suggesting sounds like a party or a retreat, rather than a Con.

People won't have to pay to take part. Many ROC sites will have stalls, but they won't have to pay. Maybe a donation.

And just for the record, I'm expecting more than 200 people.

-Randag
Director of RedCon '06

Larrusus Deathspear

oh, I would like to be on staff then, who do I e-mail, or talk to?
Jesus Is a LIE

Regular Era 2
#391 Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 3
#92   Slazzar Ectalask
#214  Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 4
#37    Slasssk troopers

Randag

Did I not make that clear? Nevermind...

How about: I'll let you know once I discuss this with my fellow directors.

-Ran!

Scarwake

*chuckles insanely then runs off in the direction of a place away from work, and that of a place that is glittering with food*  

Indeed you did clarify yourself Randag.....Pish-tush little Larrusus.....Pay attention indeed one must.  Or something very bad happen will it.  *feels yoda like for some reason* Be one with the redwall, you must
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album