RWL and COPPA

Started by calria, December 15, 2003, 02:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burninate

Your Train of Thought was headed for the Light at the End of the Tunnel.
QuoteIf you see a light at the end of the tunnel, run, because there's a train coming through.
~Veranor, The Beatles, Nevadacow, Devari~
Dear Forums,
This happened once before,
When I came to your door,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
They said you were not home,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

?Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world..."

bjornredtail

On the COPPA- It seems as if many people in these forums mis-understand the point of the COPPA. It's not about keeping children out of online commuties. It's about keeping the operators of these commuties to re-distrabuate their personal information. Many companies, rather than change their information gathering and distrobuation policies, just make it so that people have to attest to the fact they are over 13 years old when signing up. It's a good idea, as most children (and adults for that matter) don't bother reading and understanding the leagal agreements/privicy policies of each site. However, it's pointless, much as forceing someone to scroll through the lisence agreement of a certan software progam (Open Office, in spite of it's open source nature) before installing it, as people just ignore the leagal warnings and do such things as lieing about their age to get into such online services. Also, the law is unenforceable, as it is an American law, regulateing a worldwide internet.  
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Dixie Ros?

Ooh. *spags Nev*

But emails it. I don't want to be shot.  :P  
user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"
 "Sarah! That was so uncalled for! *grumbles in a threating way*"
"*huggles a Retto plushie secretively*"