Haven't updated windows recently?

Started by Veranor, August 12, 2003, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veranor

EDIT: If you don't think this is important, http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/20...tial7302003.htm The government does.
EDIT2: And the reason why it is so bad ( for those of you who didn't follow my link), is that you do not need to download a virus from e-mail/P2P/Website, any computer that connects to the internet, can be infected without any flaw on the side of the user (besides not patching), and then as soon as it is installed, will randomly generate the next ip to attempt to get into, so if you do not patch your computer, and get infected, you will infect someone else.

Nasty worm going around that takes advantage of a flaw in Windows. A bit after an infected computer connects to the internet usually a warning comes up and then the computer shuts down.

Yahoo News story about said virus:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...dows_worm_dc_12

How to get rid of the worm:

Follow the instructions here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...aster.worm.html

How to fix the flaw that allows the worm to work:

If you have an NT Windows, (XP, 2000, etc. NOT 98 and ME afaik this isn't a threat to those), go to www.microsoft.com, and do a live update and install all critical updates OR  do a search at microsoft.com for "RPC Interface" then download the patch that talks about buffer overruns and pertains to the version of windows you're running.

If you have the worm disable it first and then do the live update, because at the speed the update server is going at, you'll probably reboot before you can even start the download...

There can't be RWL if none of the members can get on the internet!
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Almkman

That's probally what is happening to me.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

fingo

The noises of the world cannot hurt the clouds
The only certainly in life is death
Remember where ever you go there you are
There are 3 types of people, ones good at maths and the others not

Veranor

Even if you're not infected this time around, or have a non-infectable OS, this should still  teach you and everyone a lesson to update their security software whenever a critical patch is made available, and to have preferrably a good firewall and anti-virus software.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Calantorntain

w00t!  So glad I was to when dad offered to upgrade my computer I was to lazy to change it from '98
"Death death death death death death la la la la death" -- The Woad to Wuin

Veranor

It's funny hearing people glad they have 98 :P
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

calria

Ashyra Nightwing

Blackeyes

I have ME with Rogers High Speed. But my computer is like pentium 2 so it's slow as molasses.
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....