PolyBius

Started by CoolClaw, August 05, 2003, 09:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolClaw

I was reading this magazine and had an article about gaming lies and truths and things like that and one of them was about a game called Polybius.  Heres the article.

'Using Games for miliary training is one thing; using games for mind control... well thats something else. But there is a cryptic tale of an arcade game called Polybius that appeared in only a hadnful of locations in Portland, Oregon in the early 1980s. Credited to a company called Sinnesloschen, Polybius (named for a greek historian who also dabbled in cryptography) was an abstract game that reportedly casue nightmares and memory loss in those ho played it (Sinnesloschen" is German for "sense dealeting") and some supposedly swore oof games for good. And to seal the deal, one arcade onwer claimed that black coated men would perodically come to collect data- but not coins-from the machines.

Unfortunately , the main thing thats missing is proff .  While ROM perotedly exists , it hasn't been located. A title screen is all anyone seems to able to produce- and these are easy to create in Photoshop (The company's name font is the same on williams used on several of its games, making cut and paste easy for an aspiring prankster). Also nobody seems willing to name names or authenticate any of the tales floating aroundthe Internet nothing can be verified by a reliable source.  But still... What if its true?

Pretty spooky, huh?  What do you guys think about all this? Do you think its true?
"Ever since using Strongbad's Ab- Abber 2000, the ladies have been all up ons"
-Strongsad

Lend me some sugar, I am your neigbor!

Whats cooler than bein cool? ICE COLD!
Shake it like a Polroid Picture!

Scarwake

Hmmm....I'd say that you posted the samething as a topic 6 different times....*chants delete 5 of them*
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

The Lady Shael

*deleted* My goodness, that's a record. Normally it's only like two other copies....
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

CoolClaw

Argh! I know how many I posted! Geeze can you actually right soemthing about the topic?  People have been bothering me about that topic.   Its really annoying.
"Ever since using Strongbad's Ab- Abber 2000, the ladies have been all up ons"
-Strongsad

Lend me some sugar, I am your neigbor!

Whats cooler than bein cool? ICE COLD!
Shake it like a Polroid Picture!

Aden

I didn't really understand the article.
Woodren Swiftsword, former leader of the Mossflower Liberation Army
May 20, 1999 - May 20, 2001

RedCon

Abby The Rat

Not the Record Shael. 15 is the record. I kinda got some of it.

It about a game that affected you mind.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]