Series vs. Series

Started by CoolClaw, June 06, 2003, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sha

Mm, reading through this post, I was wondering when the "Harry Potter is Evil" discussion would come up. I believe I will stay out of it because my thoughts on the matter are divided. I am a Christian and I do not believe that Harry Potter pushes children toward magic, but then again, I could see it happening. I read the books and I enjoy them, but I prefer Redwall and Lord of the Rings over HP.

Then again, I'm a die-hard Tolkien fan. Loved the Lord of the Rings books long before a movie was ever mentioned... and I'm not that crazy about the movies. Sure, they're good movies, but comparing them to the books... they ruined so much, changed so much... well, it all just makes me go "*twitch, twitch*" *nods* It's quite  interesting to see how Tolkien's writing styles changed for how the book was to be ... The Hobbit was meant to be light-hearted and it was written in a light-hearted tone. Lord of the Rings was rather darker and more serious, so it was written in a more serious tone. The Silmarillion is a history book, so, unfortunately, it was written to sound like a history book. Still love The Silmarillion, though, yes I do.. *wanders off  before she babbles TOO much about LotR*

Bloodrath

Well, Tolkien's work of course. I wouldn't really call it a series. Lord of the Rings is just one book, and it is only a chunk of the history of his world. I now own all the history of Middle Earth, along with all his other books. By far the best world ever created in literature, and the depth of it is amazing.

I love Harry Potter too, but it does not really compare to Tolkien's work at all. Potter series is good, but Tolkien's master piece of a world is far better.

Sonoras

Yes,people,all good,all good(but redwall better!!!)

TS/RULES!

Harry Potter is a way better seires than Redwall is.  Its better written than Redwall is and is not repetive like Redwall is.  The characters are also way better developed and full of personality.  The overall Stroyline is also better.   And numbers don't lie, Its sold a lot better than Redwall has.  
If only I was a Mario... I could Jump on bullies, Use Yoshi to spit random fruit juices at them, and basically beat the crap out of them...

RazorClaw

Wow! Maybe you could describe why it's repetitive? And how the characters have more depth in HP? HP isn't repetitive. Harry faces Voldemort, Harry faces Voldemort, Harry faces Peter Petigrew, Dumble-dead-as-a-doornail (the actor died) faces Voldemort, Harry faces Death Eaters. See the pattern?

The Cow

ok then here's redwall,hero faces evil guy hero faces evil guy hero faces evil guy,why do the good guys always turn out on top?you can guess what happens in Jaques' books,he writes the same thing over and over
2nd Reg. Season BloodThirsty Wolves.
3rd Reg. Season ,Red Horde Of All Evil.
3rd turbo Season ,Blue Horde.
4th turbo season Red Horde Of All Evil.

Ruatine

The Redwall books are a children's book series. Brian Jacques is an old fashioned kind of guy. Put the two together and you get stories where evil will/can never win. It would be a very dark and depressing book if evil won. Think about it a little bit. It's not just Jacques who always allows good to win. That's the way most authors write. They realize that people have enough gloom and despair in their own life; they don't need to read about it in books too.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Pikepaw

But there is still some surprise in Jacques books.  He sometimes unexpectedly kills off good main characters when you least expect it, it keeps the supense going so you don't know for sure for a lot of the characters if they will live (Main heroes, yes, but not guys like Shogg who died or Nutwing or Bluddbeak).  I think in a lot of Redwall books Brain Jacques has a bad habit of killing bird characters you really liked.
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.

calria

*snorts at Teufel* Quite smart, dear...

hmmm... Tough choice, but I'd have to say that I prefer HP as far as just enjoyment reading. However, LOTR is definately the best STORY and the best WRITING. Redwall is a beautiful combination of the assets of the two, with some fun and furry fighting thrown into the mix... pure joy.

Amusing- the other night I started a fanart series of drawings along the theme of "If Brian Jaques had written LOTR." (Frodo as a mouse, Gandalf as a stoat... etc)
I'm also in the brainstorming phase of a fanfic for if LOTR and HP crossed... it's amazing the similarities and character comparisons you can make...

(Dumbledore=Gandalf, Harry=Frodo, Ron=Merry/Pippin, Hermione=Sam, Sauron=Voldemort, Saruman=Malfoy, Sirius=Bilbo, etc)

TS/RULES!

I wouldn't think of Ron being like Merry and Pippen more like Fred and George who are the best Harry Potter characters ever!
If only I was a Mario... I could Jump on bullies, Use Yoshi to spit random fruit juices at them, and basically beat the crap out of them...

Pikepaw

I would not think Gandalf as a stoat.  He seems more like a badger or wildcat to me.
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.