Attack system

Started by Shadow, February 02, 2012, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

It is apparent that the attack system is lacking a bit of oomph, as I was worried it might. Thinking about things, the leader/indy split was mainly because of the production capacity of leaders, rather than the offensive power (though leader attack for land and open attack op were also problematic). I am considering putting back murder/poison/sabotage as offensive mission options working the way they do on reg to see if that changes things.

It's not ideal, but my thought process is that because leaders can't produce directly very well, people will only go full on leader for destruction purposes and will not get much out that run themselves, so there should still be no pure leader strategies, while allowing the offensive power needed to equalize things.

What do people think?

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Shadow

I have added in the murder mission, however it works a little differently. It takes down opponent health instead of killing their net directly. This is more in line with the idea of leaders in a support role rather than direct attacking - you can pave the way for your army, but you will still need the army to do the damage.

It kills 3% of remaining health (NOT 3% of health, ie, at 50% health, it kills 50*0.03 = 1.5% health), is affected by raised defense, but will always do at least 1% health damage.

cloud

That seems incredibly weak...basically it would take 200 turns to get someones health to 0, and then you still have to attack them. Whereas before you could completely destroy someone with 200 turns of murders/poisons...
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Kilkenne

If you got someone's health to 0, one standard attack would 90% of their troops.

Peace Alliance

Even just bringing them down to 75% health would mean you require 25% fewer troops to break. That's the difference between 10m rats, and 7.5m rats... Which would make a big difference right now if anyone was actually trying to break sevs, lol.

Shadow

yea, don't underestimate the power of health. When your health is low you also take more losses.

Peace Alliance

It also means that who ever is being murdered has to use turns to sure up defenses, which means you cannot sit idle and wait for re-enforcements. Action is required!

cloud

It still doesn't really give a decent strategy to take down a huge emp as they would likely have more land and more huts than anyone else. There's no leader attack to suicide them down anymore. If they had a significantly larger army than the #2 guy dropping their health might not even be enough to break them still.

This is all just theory, but if this system had been in place on reg, no  one would have been able to come close to touching Volkov, or had a way to bring him down like that even if they could get a few missions through.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Shadow

see, you're thinking in terms of the old game, where people went all huts or none. Yes, the top guy has a lot of huts, but he isn't all huts, or he woudln't be top guy. Which means that someone else can sacrifice their run by going all out leaders, and do some damage that would not have been possible in the old code.

However, I know that the attack system is not up to par yet, so suggestions are welcome if you have more ideas.