Chrome

Started by Pippin, July 10, 2011, 07:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIt was overblown Volky.
The 'tracking' data that was on the iPhone was a list of wifi aps and cellphone towers that the user had been near.  Its how the devices get your rough position without a GPS receiver.  The data was never sent back to Apple or left the phone in any way.

You sure about that? Later in the article, they talk about the fact that Apple has a large database of location data. Nominally it's used to create a detailed map for an iPhone user. What else could it be used for though, is the question that I have. Android has a much smaller database, and regularly dumps the older files.

QuoteWhat is it about the collection of data that make people think the companies aren't trustworthy?

It's not that they collect data, it's the kind of data that they collect.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

Eh.  So you'll trust a website where the founder called its users duck," rolls out changes to the privacy policy that makes things opt-out instead of opt-in, and blatantly sells your information to companies for cash. 
But Apple has a database, inaccessible to any app on the phone except their own Map app, a database which has never left your phone, and suddenly you're worried about what it might be used for?
Also, in response to the story Apple limited the cache to a much smaller size in IOS 4.3.3, released May 6th.
They said the fact that the cache was so large was a bug.  Mistakes happen, it was corrected, and now it does like Andriod does.  I doubt the 10'oclock news will run another story though.

Priorities Volky.
You don't want an iPhone, that's fine.  But don't make up reasons against them while supporting companies doing much, much worse things.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Yea. As far as privacy is concerned, avoiding any company that is not facebook on the basis of privacy concerns while still using facebook is silly. When google+ takes off, I will be deleting my facebook account.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Pippin

cheers for the advice and info everyone, im gonna give chrome a try i think  :-*
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Gen. Volkov

QuoteEh.  So you'll trust a website where the founder called its users duck," rolls out changes to the privacy policy that makes things opt-out instead of opt-in, and blatantly sells your information to companies for cash. 

A) Word filter needs some work there bud.

B) No, I don't trust Facebook, which is why I've given Facebook next to nothing about me. It has what it needs to function in the way it's supposed to, and that's it. I wasn't on Facebook for a long time, precisely because I didn't trust it. I would never have joined, if a few of my friends hadn't kept insisting that I did. If a viable alternative to Facebook arises, I will switch to that.

QuotePriorities Volky.
You don't want an iPhone, that's fine.  But don't make up reasons against them while supporting companies doing much, much worse things.

Making up reasons?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20026677-37.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

QuoteAmong the apps tested, the iPhone apps transmitted more data than the apps on phones using Google Inc.'s Android operating system. Because of the test's size, it's not known if the pattern holds among the hundreds of thousands of apps available.

Guess I'm worrying about nothing then huh?

But Apple has a database, inaccessible to any app on the phone except their own Map app, a database which has never left your phone, and suddenly you're worried about what it might be used for?

Yup. Also worried what they are doing with other data they collect.

Also, in response to the story Apple limited the cache to a much smaller size in IOS 4.3.3, released May 6th.
They said the fact that the cache was so large was a bug.  Mistakes happen, it was corrected, and now it does like Andriod does.  I doubt the 10'oclock news will run another story though.

Well, that's good. Still doesn't mean I trust Apple.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Kilkenne

Out of mild curiousity, where do you go that you don't want Apple/Motorola/Google/insert company here knowing about? I don't think they're going to email your mom for going to a strip club.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteOut of mild curiousity, where do you go that you don't want Apple/Motorola/Google/insert company here knowing about? I don't think they're going to email your mom for going to a strip club.

It's more the principle of the thing. I don't particularly care if people know where I go, I just don't like the idea of someone knowing without my consent. I view it as an invasion of privacy.