Presidential Debate

Started by The Lady Shael, September 27, 2008, 01:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who won, in your eyes?

McCain
Obama
I think it's a draw.

The Lady Shael

Just curious. I watched the whole thing, and all I heard of the reaction is that conservatives think McCain won, and liberals think Obama won. Maybe that's always the case. Anyways, discuss.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shade

As I understand the reactions the conservatives think McCain won, but the liberals think that Obama won in that McCain didn't win by a huge margin.

Again, as I understand it, the Obama campain has spent the last week trying to lower the expectations from Obama, while raising them for McCain, saying that McCain is a more skilled debater, and so it's expected for him to win, but if he doesn't accomplish a huge win, then it's still a win for Obama.

If this is the case, and I admit I could be mistaken, I personally don't think saying that 'well, the other guy didn't flatten us' is a very good reason for claiming victory, myself.

windhound

A win is a win, and it sounds like the dems conceded that
Though, neither side is going to admit defeat unless its clear they buggered up...  and they were roughly on par last night.

A major part of Obama's charm is his public speaking.  I would have expected him to do well in the debates regardless.  I think NBC said Obama has participated in 26 debates so far and McCain 15, so Obama has technically had more practice in this campaign

Obama also called McCain "Jim" and "Tom" several times.  Which was odd.  I cant tell if it was intentional or not

So Eh.
Both of them dodged around direct questions...  and there were several "No, I did not"'s from both sides

edit- spag
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

thomaskreisman

I said McCain but I'm a registered Republican so my oppinion isn't the most un-bias of all, the poll results seem to agree with me.

Shadow

They are both a waste of space. I don't care who won, no matter who gets elected, the world loses.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Saladin

Quote from: Shadow on September 27, 2008, 06:17:17 PM
They are both a waste of space. I don't care who won, no matter who gets elected, the world loses.

Yup yup. Nader '08
Starfish love you

Gen. Volkov

I missed it, I was at the Notre Dame football game. Go Irish!

(They won by the way, beat Purdue 38-21. Woo!)
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

wolf bite

It depends on what you use to scale what a "win" is?

Obama is much more posed and a better speaker. However he escaped almost all issues with well said statements that almost anyone would agree with.

McCain was to the point and factual. However he comes off as a grumpy old man.

Overall I gave Obama the lead on the first half and McCain in the second.

I think the general public will be swayed by hearing what they think they want to hear from a visionary, whether or not there is actually a workable plan to make it happen. More educated people will want to hear what the plan is, even if it is not exactly what they want, it is at least a plan.

This is not "American Idol!"  It is the race to have the next ruler of the United States of America.

To me, McCain showed more the abilities required in the job he is applying for than Obama. Even deducting for McCain's lack of "looking presidential" I still barely give McCain the win.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Firetooth

It doesnt matter, they're both lying through their teeth and I doubt either will implement most of what they say.
Quote from: Shadow on September 27, 2008, 06:17:17 PM
triple trillion ditto, politicians are people of little action, many words.
Makes me wish I could re-locate that obama vs. Mcain boxing game...somewhere in miniclip
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

So basically what you are all saying is that watching ND wallop Purdue was by far the more entertaining choice.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES