the REAL crystal skull

Started by Firetooth, August 11, 2008, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

I bet you've heard of the new movie made 120million $ in it's first week or something.
I bet you haven't heard about the real crystal skulls. What's below is all TRUTH
In 1927, whilst excervating some pyramid, a archeaoligists(prolly spelt wrong, its nearly 11 here, gimme a break xD) daughter supposedly found a beautiful mayan crystal skull and gave it to her father.
30years later it was announced publicly. She became a celebrity. They tested it and found it to be real quartz crystal.

here's the whole article on wikipedia, I promise faithfully its not a wikipedia hoax :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

anyway, carrying on...
in the investigation with less advanced technology the light bounced off the microscopes and they couldn't declare the date. According to the woman, if it sweated, a disaster would happen.
The british muesum was in possesion of one, now here's a weird part: an anoynomous sender sends them another "crystal skull." A museum in paris also has another one-two from the same dealer.
After morden tests all three are determined made with modern tools, the 4th one too.

However, I think highly unlikely, the mayans could've been advanced enough to
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteHowever, none of the specimens made available for scientific study were authenticated as pre-Columbian in origin.

That is from the Wiki article. It means they are probably hoaxes from the 19th century. A line of thinking further corroborated when you think about the tools the mayans had available to them. They were still essentially a stone age culture, and didn't have anything hard enough or durable enough to carve an intricate skull from a block of quartz. Quartz is one of the harder substances found on the planet. It wasn't until the advent of hardened steel in that it was possible to carve quartz like that.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Firetooth

my last bits missing the full stop because I totally lost my trail of thought...
and yes, it is most likely they are all hoaxes, but who made the original crystal skull is the question
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

Probably whoever claimed to have found it.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

pippin the mighty

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 12, 2008, 12:06:22 PM
Probably whoever claimed to have found it.
People may believe that, but nowadays everyone is quick to deny things, espicially things they don't understand.

Gen. Volkov

There's a difference between skepticism and denial. Notice my use of the words "probably" and "line of thinking". Skepticism is looking at something with a critical eye and trying to determine what the facts actually are. Denial is simply saying something didn't happen. THe point of skepticism is not to deny, but to try and understand something that you initially do not understand. So you examine the crystal skull scientifically, and try to determine when it was made. Those results have shown that none were made by Mayans, so they are likely the work of hoaxers. Naturally suspicion is going to fall on the first person to bring it to public light.

pippin the mighty

I guess so, I sort of understand that.

Firetooth

There is evidence that she didnt make it, that it was actually made after she claimed to have found it, as the skull WAS going to be acutioned, but someone bought it before the auction.
Her story is her dad asked the person to keep ahold of the skull for them then paid him back, which would explain why he called off the auction.
I guess we'll never know the truth

Sharptooh

There's a lot of controversy about who actually found the skull fo doom, as more than one person claims to have found it, the first person to have claimed to have found it, was Anna Mitchell-Hedges, her story was that, she went to the top of a hill, saw some shiny rocks, moved them away and discovered a secret passage which led to the skull of doom, however, her story seemed to vary everytime that she told it, for example, there are different quotes where she changes the date, once she said she found it in 1927, and there are other times where she said that she discovered it in 1926, 1928 and 1929, also there are records of the skull being owned by a mr Bernie in the 1930's, he was just about to auction the skull off, when Anna's Father, F.A Mitchell Hedges bought the skull from him, therefore it was pulled out of the auction, Anna had a cover for this, she stated, "my father gave the skull to mr Bernie to look after, however he owed him a debt, and if he didn;t pay it off the skull would have been sold to compensate," she then said "he managed to pay off the loan just before the auction started"
  So there is seriously a lot of controversy.
  One last example of how anna changed her story (quoted form wikipedia):
'Anna Hedges claimed that she found the skull buried under a collapsed altar inside a temple in Lubaantun, in British Honduras, now Belize.[18] As far as can be ascertained, F.A. Mitchell-Hedges himself made no mention of the alleged discovery in any of his writings on Lubaantun. Also, others present at the time of the excavation have not been documented as noting either the skull's discovery or Anna's presence at the dig.[19]

In a 1970 letter, Anna also stated that she was "told by the few remaining Maya, and was used by the high priest to will death"'
Weird eh?

A picture of the original skull (sometimes reffered to as the skull of doom)

This skull was so perfectly polished that you can't look at it throught even a light microscope, as the amount of light reflected blinds you.

A link to another picture:http://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/ancient/enlarge/crystal-skull.html

National geographic did make a docmentary all about the crystal skulls, but it only previewed a few nights ago and I can't find it  :(