Rebuilding the Community

Started by Neobaron, September 07, 2006, 03:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

Advertise w/ a shirtless pic of me. Flocks of new members. Bam. Just like that.

Gen. Volkov

Holy crud! It's a Razor and a Raine!

Raine, the thing is, even the long time members are starting to leave. We don't get this placed fixed soon and it's gonna die just like the rest of the ROC.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

Hey I was wondering...

Can we kill POMS to make more happy space for RWL? Do we have the power to do that?
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

bjornredtail

Do the files take up all that much space?
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Neobaron

Well thats part of the question i was asking. If we ran into a problem with space on the server during the last great gasp of RWL, then why dont we plan ahead and destroy things that nobody uses (if we have that ability) just in case we /actually/ get new people?
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

bjornredtail

Wouldn't help. Lots and lots of new users wouldn't take up disk space, they would take up database space. And not all that much of it either...
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Ruddertail

However, it might free up space so that we could get the turns back to normal, no?
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Wolf Snare

I should think so. When we get flocks of new people coming, will the server even be able to handle us?
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

bjornredtail

Space wasn't the problem... The hosting provider wasn't complaining about webspace or DB space, but CPU time. Since no one is using PoMS, it is takeing up no CPU time, no memory, none of the precious reasources that caused problems in the first place. I'm not entirely sure what caused it... Perhaps it was a configuration change on thier end? Or a bug of some sort that caused something stupid to happen? Or DoS attack?

In any case, clearing disk space isn't going to help. And is Pirates even under the same database?
AKA, Nevadacow

The Lady Shael

I'm pretty sure PoMS is using a different database.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.