Vetern's Day

Started by Ereptor, November 11, 2005, 02:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ereptor

Just thought i would put a reminder to all those who are american that today is Vetern's Day.  I have a cousin that just came back from Iraq.  Anyway growing up in Hawaii I was around a lot of Military bases and military history, like Pearl Harbor, etc.  Anyone have relatives serving or that have served our country?
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Neobaron

Most of my family has served.

Great grandfatehrs bath in the Army, one grandfather in the Army, and then the coast guard when he got older. My uncle and my father both served in the USAF, and 3 more uncles in the Coast Guard. Got uber cousins in the ANG, and 1 over in Afghanistan at the moment.

(Keep in mind the coast guard means something in times of war xD)

---

I surround myself with a lot of history, so I do feel very proud on this day, as should we all.

If not American, then remember that this is Armistice day. On the 11th hour of the 11th day, of the 11th month, world war 1 ended; the most draining conflict that Europe has ever seen, and the beginning of the modern era.

---

If you come across a veteran, do give him/her your appreciation. My grandfather once told me that it does mean something to be appreciated now that hes lost most of his use for society...

Even you Bush hating hippies have to be thankful for the Veterans of World War II and various conflicts against the Soviets; they ensured that you have the right to dog, and they /do/ deserve your respect and appreciation.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Disdain

They will always have my respect and appreciation for all they have done. Even if they never saw action, they were willing. I don't have to like or agree with anything the president has them do, the fact that they joined on their own free will. That's enough for me. I tried to join just after the first Gulf War, but certain physical issues stopped me. I did score high on the ASVAB, though.
My Father is a Vietnam Vet, Navy (USS Forestall):
USS FORESTALL

Eight months after the Oriskany fire, there was an accident on the USS Forestall. A ZUNI rocket was fired accidentally from an aircraft being readied for a mission on July 29, 1967. The rocket screamed across the flight deck, struck another aircraft and ignited a fuel fire. The initial fire could have been contained, but 90 seconds after the fire started a bomb detonated, killing or seriously wounding most of the fire fighters.

The detonation ruptured the flight deck, and burning fuel spilled into the lower levels of the ship. Bombs, warheads, and rocket motors exploded with varying egress of intensity in the fire, killing 134 and wounding 161 men. Twenty-one aircraft were destroyed" (http://www.ordnance.org/mishaps.htm)

My Father survived, only because he was on the other side of the ship, but he had to bag up all his friends dead bodies. Still badly effected, to this day. It destroyed his ability to have any relationship with me, growing up. So, I, personally understand what can and does happen to those who serve and protect us.

Anyway, I teach my kids they are the real heroes, along with police, firefighters, EMT's, Teachers, etc... and when I run into a vet, I say Thank You.

Neo, thank your family for me.  :wink:
Ereptor, thanks for the topic.  :-D

(click to enlarge)

Gen. Volkov

I have had a relative in every single American War from the Revolutionary War to the first Gulf War. I have 2 Uncles who were in Vietnam, one was Air Force, a mechanic, the other received the Purple Heart and the Silver Star posthumously. My great grandfather was in both WW1 and WW2. My grandfather was in WW2 and later died of cancer, he was in Hiroshima helping them rebuild. The only reason my father isn't a vet is he was too young for the draft, and then went to college. Veteran's day is BIG holiday for my family.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES