Favorite Football/Soccer Club

Started by Deathclaw, October 05, 2005, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favorite football/soccer club?

Manchester United!
2 (15.4%)
Chelsea (rent boys)
0 (0%)
Arsenal (wenger looks like a petophile)
0 (0%)
Liverpool (scousers)
1 (7.7%)
Barcelona
0 (0%)
AC Milan
1 (7.7%)
Juventus
1 (7.7%)
Tottenham
0 (0%)
Lyon
0 (0%)
Marseille
0 (0%)
PSV
0 (0%)
Ajax
0 (0%)
Other (please reply)
0 (0%)
Dont care/dont follow
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Wolf Snare

I used to be a big fan of manchester united. great team. Soccer isnt boring you people just dont care for it. *glares*
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Neobaron

Ive never seen a regular season hockey game go for more than an hour and a half, and thats including the pre-determined breaks inbetween periods.

---

Have you ever /played/ hockey Volky poo?

Its not just chasing around. Shots have to be set up, hits are tactical, penalties are hard to get, and theyre not running; theyre skating, most of the time on chipped/used ice and carrying a stick with which to hit a puck that has something like a 6 inch diameter. Furthermore, they have to hit said puck past a beefy boy with triple the paddage into a goal that I can personally nearly block out just squating down...

---

Seems to me youre making an attack as an unqualified authrity on the subject. I have actually participated in organized leagues for all 3 sports + baseball and tennis, and do know a bit about what im talking about...

1) Play hockey on an actual team against actually knowedgable opponents and learn its rather complex strategies. Take some hits, lose some teeth, learn to take ice baths to numb your body beforehand.
2) Play football and know your role (revievers run and catch, block occasionally... the only one that has to "know" the play is the quarterback... other positions have basic roles... RB runs, dodges, blocks. WR has routes that pply to multiple plays, dodges, blocks occasionally...)
3) PLay soccer, learn its positions, know your roles, see that hockey is quite a bit harder... 
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Juska

Football players get paid more because people actually enjoy watching football.

And don't go bragging about how hockey players get the crap kicked outta them and get paid pennies, if that was the cash they wouldn't have cared to strike all last year.

Football is like a war, much more than any other sport by far.

Unfortunately I never had to the oppurtunity to play hockey on a team when i was younger and don't have any interested now. Soccer always bored me to no end.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Deathclaw

Soccer is the hardest sport.
Someone said "if I could play it when I was young it cant be hard." You couldnt play it when you were young. U6 and U8 is herdball.

90 minutes of pushing yourself to the limit. So much skill and talent and strength and dedication is needed for soccer. And you have to learn your position and know how to play it and do so many things... for keepers: high balls, breakaways, communication, shot stopping, catching, deflections/parries, positional play, angles, and thats not even near all of it. And for field players: crossing, shooting, tackling, marking, moving with the ball, movement off the ball, passing, first touch, decisions, making runs, heading, trapping, etc. It is the hardest sport on the earth... and its beautiful to watch.

Hockey - skating is not very tiring.
Football - you stop every time someone touches the ball... 10 second play, 45 second break
Baseball - no action

Glory, Glory, Man United!

Neobaron

Says the englishman who's hockey team hasnt made it past the first round in... how long?  :roll: :-P

---

Baseball really has no action...

---

Agreed on football

---

Juska:

Football players are overpayed; end of story. Justify why they recieve the money rather than teachers?

We all enjoy having an education.

Why dont I get payed money for participating in the local Flag Fooball league? People watch and enjoy us too.

And get your facts straight; last year was a LOCKOUT not a strike.

Gen. Volkov

You are correct that I have not played ice hockey. I have played football and soccer. And football is the much harder sport by far. You may have breaks, but they are needed when you exert yourself to the breaking point on every play. Hockey players and soccer players can rest for a bit at their positions. Football players get 40 seconds of rest, then they go back out and exert themselves to maximum again. In a long series of plays, you can become totally exhausted. Soccer players can stay in one place, if the ball is at the other end of the field and they are on defense. Offensive players have chances to rest also. Hockey is a bit harder, I'm deriding it a bit when I say its soccer on ice, but still, its nowhere near as hard as football is. Once you have the basic skills, nothing else is really needed except good conditioning. In football, you need a basic skill set, plus the skills for your specific position, plus all the indviidual plays, plus any trick plays, oh and don't forget, knowing all this well enough that you can adapt to any last minute changes made on the field by the quarterback. Did I leave anything out? Now yes, some players don't need all the money they get, but they provide a valuable service, and are paid accordingly. Hockey players get paid way better than any other profession not in sports, so that point is moot. Should teachers get paid more than they do? Of course. DO you want to pay the taxes that would require? I thought not. Two differnent things, two different modes of income. If teaching was a sport and voluntary, then they would be paid more, to keep them there.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

Teaching is vonluntary; and I was countering Juskas highly irrelavent point that "they get paid so much just because hey make other people happy".

Im happy knowing I will be making more than most of my generation due to my education.

---

And its not so much the paying of taxes to pay teachers more... higher taxes rarely solve problems.

Kill 80% of the government, and have those wages re-allocated... simple.

Sports player in the Soviet Union were paid less than teachers, and they were the best in the world most of the time due to their dedication to the sport...

---

I can agree that all "men" who play "games" are quite a bit overpayed. I cannot agree that giving them a lump sum and dispersing it is right. Hockey players, although they like others are already recieving too much, should recieve just as much as other sports players...

---------------------------------

This topic is aimless and based on opinion.

I therefore choose to drop out of it due to the fact that I dont like wasting energy on lost causes; none of you will yield, and neither will I.

Have a nice day =-)

Gen. Volkov

LOL. Was about to do the same thing.

One area of contention really, the Soviet Union was the best in a couple areas of sports, but if you measure in the number of Olypic medals, which is really the only way you CAN quatify the relative strengths, given that that is the only time America and the Soviet played each other, the United States was actually the best. We won more gold medals than they did in most areas of athletics. And it wasn't really dedication, it was fear of what would happen if they didn't play their best or play the sport. Different economy anyway, so different ways of rewarding the members of it. And anyway, saying that teachers made more than sports players is rather pointless, its like saying billy bob the hobo makes more money than jimbob the guy who lives in a box. Both are pretty bad. Teachers and athletes in the Soviet Union were paid horribly, and lived in really bad conditions, teachers just got the slightly longer end of the stick.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Ruatine

Erm... I've never liked soccer, probably never will....
Of course, I'm not much of a sports person. I only ever watch sports when a team I like is playing.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Badrang the Tyrant

Read this article where a magazine/newspaper journalist interviews a local 16 year old boy who races motorcycles (dirtbikes) competitively.

http://blackmountainnews.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=977&format=html

IMO the most physically demanding sports (in order) are:
1. Soccer
2. Riding Dirtbikes
3. Football

Gen. Volkov

Well your entitled to your opinion, its just wrong.  :-P

Cool about the dirtbike kid though.

Neobaron

You said you were dropping out now hush  :-P :-P :-P

Badrang the Tyrant

I'm never wrong you lance-cranium! :-D