Crazy Laws

Started by The Beatles, January 31, 2003, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Beatles

Crazy Laws (Cont.)

Lexington, Kentucky outlawed the transportation of an ice cream cone in your pocket.  Ice cream was of special concern in Carmel, California when the city council passed an ordinance prohibiting the eating of ice cream while standing on a sidewalk. Clint Eastwood was elected Carmel mayor several years ago and promptly had the law repealed. Way to go, Dirty Harry.

In case you are a believer in UFO's you probably should consider moving to North Andover, Massachusetts. Their city council passed an ordinance that prohibits the use of space guns.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, must have buckled to some high pressure lobbying by a union or an engineering firm when its city council passed a law making it illegal to open a soda pop bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer.

In Minnesota a person may not cross state lines with a duck atop their head. The state game laws in our neighbor to the south, Kansas, prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks. Presumably someone must have had a heck of a retriever mule and must have been cleaning up in field trials. Utah game laws prohibit fishing from the backs of mules.

A city law of 1909 in Bexley, Ohio, prohibits the usage and operation of slot machines in outhouses. I'm not even sure there aren't some slot machines in public restrooms in Las Vegas or Atlantic City. I'll let you make up your own jokes about craps in the crapper.

Probably my favorite law is a city ordinance passed in Chico, California. The city fathers, in their wisdom, wanted to deter nuclear Armageddon in their city. In an effort to stop nuclear terrorism at the city limits, the city council passed a law providing for a $500 fine for anyone detonating a nuclear device within Chico. Now that's creative legislation.

Now that state legislatures are convening the old saying that the public is at danger the most when the legislature is in session is once again in vogue. Don't for one minute believe that today's lawmaking bodies, at all levels, are too sophisticated to pass more nonsense like what you just read. It happens all the time, every week across this nation and we have only ourselves to blame. When we relinquish our duty to be observant and get involved and be aware of what goes on around us by being so self-absorbed as to not have time to be good citizens then we deserve the consequences.

My own (Beatles), and true: In New Orleans, it is illegal to hunt rabbits from trams. At least, was until the 60s.

voxpopuli-ne.com

Deathclaw

In Oklahoma it is illegal to share a hamburger.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

~>John<~

IF NOW AT LEAST TEENAGE DO NOT READ BELOW

Because of anti-discrimination lobbiers,in Ohio anywhere a guy can go topless, a girl can too.
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Cool, I'm moving to Ohio!

Shael of Torethevel

I hope you were joking....

That's pretty stupid, I heard another one where somewhere in California, it's illegal to take a bath with your clothes on....the one about the crossing state borders with a duck on your head in Minnesota was pretty good, it's unbelievable how stupid some people are in this world....
~The Lady Shael, Once Empress and Third Ruler of Mossflower Country and Beyond

Warlord(ess) of The Black Raiders, #55
Leader of The Band of Rebels, #225
Founder of The Rebels of Mossflower
Leader of El Queso, #419
Commander of the Daughters of Delor, #679
Lady of The Realm of Unspoken Darkness, #1235

"Good evening, I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in parts of my body?"
~The dairy animal, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Yea, some places are kinda crazy with laws.

The Beatles

A fun topic, and my last for the day, or for a good while...