Using correct Grammer

Started by Abby The Rat, July 08, 2003, 04:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vengerak

calria

First off, I am indeed here. My computer simply hates me, and generally refuses to do what I ask it... therefore, getting into the forums and doing those things I love to do regarding grammar corrections can become, at times, rather difficult.
I shall be endeavoring, however, in the next week or so, to begin enforcing a proper use of grammar and spelling throughout these forums.
I take this thread to be permission to so lambast all mis-users of my beloved English language. Do not contradict me on this assumption- I'm in a bad, mood, have had a rather disturbing evening, and there's a term paper breathing down my neck.
As to the issue of "younger kids" and their lack of skills, here is my argument against making any concessions for them beyond what is reasonable:
We can presume that any child able to and willing to post to this forum can read and write the English language within comfortable bounds. (For that matter, we can also presume that any child in this forum is either over the age of 13, or not residing or using a computer from anywhere in the US- otherwise, they are breaking the COPPA act of 1998, which prohibits them from doing so without extensive parental forms and permissions... anyway...)
If, then, the child cannot spell a word to good standards- not necessarily correctly, but with a certain attention to phoenetics- he or she should find an easier substitute for that word. For example, the word "esoteric" versus "hard to understand," though I doubt most 10-year-olds know the word "esoteric" to begin with.

I know I'm not a mod or anything with any power, but I hereby assume full responsibility for yelling at and generally making miserable any and all intentional perpetrators... just because I need someone to take stuff out on.

Peace Alliance

Boy... I really don't want to ruin your night anymore Cal.... But thats really all I've ever done now isn't it? *is trying really hard to use correct grammar in this particular topic*. OK first of all, Cal is not going to be able to clean up the forums. She got on my back about my grammar when I first started off, and it didn't do anything but make me really mad. When you embaross someone on the forums about they're spelling and grammar, how is that nice?

I know some of the posts are bad, and I get annoyed a lot aswell. But going so far as to dis-allowing in the forum rules is just too far. Gagging and banning... Its juts too much. If you want to PM them about it go right ahead, but don't start hassling them about it, especially when they're in the middle of something important like an arguement of sorts *is remember when cal was bothing him a while back*.

The point is, its ok to bother them. Just don't embaross 'em.

*doesn't care how many mistakes he has made* go ahead, do your worst

RazorClaw

Yes, Calria, I agree with Peace Alliance. You should correct the incorrect, but not yell at them.

calria

I am a human being. Therefore, I am perfectly and entirely allowed to have a very, VERY crabby moment occasionally.

No, I never meant to be rude to those who I was simply correcting. I'm not a complete witch, thanks. I just save my acid tongue for the few who truley annoy me with their arrogance and insipidly self-asserting ways.

I've got stress, ok? I'm going to be in a very, VERY intolerant mood today, so everyone just watch it.

RazorClaw

THAT-DOES-NOT-MEAN-YOU-GET-TO-YELL-AT-PEOPLE-ON-THE-INTERNET-THAT-YOU-DO-NOT-KNOW!!!!!!!
I'm getting sick of people getting craby on here. I was crabby because a stinkin' HORSE stepped on my foot, not because I was just crabby!!!!

calria

Hmmm...
Have you read Julie's "How could you" thread at ALL?
*L*
...and I already said I didn't mean it when I'd said I was going to "yell."

It's weird... I cussed Ad out over AIM, and now I'm in a pretty good mood... heh.

RazorClaw

I did, and I was joking about the thing, notice the all caps? I'm usually a great speller, without all caps...

calria

No, I didn't catch that. Sowwy!

Almkman

You cussed me out on aim once and it didn't help .Then you blocked me.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

calria

I still don't remember that... really!

Anyway, this is rather much different...

Almkman

It was when you cursed at me on Julie's forums.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

calria

*thinks*

Oh yeah... that was when you were still just an anonymous newb to me, though. I'm sorry. *huggle*