What's the deal?

Started by Ereptor, June 24, 2003, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruatine

I've been brainstorming for the past 20 minutes about how some things on RWL might be changed to make it better. As I see it, we have two major problems: A. The Top 10 Needs Breaking Up and B. The Forums Need Cleaning Up. I don't know if some of my ideas are even feasible. I'm not a coder. I want comments and criticism though.

To Break Up the Game

1. Lower the limit for the number of clanmembers. (I was thinking maybe 5.)
2. Limit the number of clan members that can be in the top ten to 2 (maybe). Once the third makes it to the top ten, he's kicked out of the clan and forced to either join another or start his own.
3. Lower the number of defense points guard towers give.
4. With each change of location (Northlands, Mossflower, and Southsward), have the offense and defense points of each unit change.
5. (This one's interesting...) Lock clans into wars and allies, so that once they're at war they have to fight to the finish or be allies the whole game.
6. Allow alliances and wars between individuals subject to the same rules as the previous point.

To Clean Up Discussion Board

1. Appoint two more mods to assist Ad in keeping the forums clean.
2. Somehow set up a veteran to new person training program that will teach the new ones how to post correctly and with meaning.

There's my brain. Pick it apart.  :blink:  
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Peace Alliance

OH! I have an idea for clans! I got this one from Ultimate Empir (another text based game like this, but VERY VERY slow  ::cries:: )

You make is so there are different positions in the clan, like a military position, leader position, food position, money position. people join the clan into one of these positions. so if you join as a military position, the clan can use a large percentage of you're military in they're attacks. I think that would make it so when you make a clan,  you will try and get the best pleyers for it. and also, if you have a clan full of new players, they could ally with the guy in first and all of a sudden get a TON of stuff... that would be interesting.

QuoteSomehow set up a veteran to new person training program that will teach the new ones how to post correctly and with meaning.
If you just started the game, and were struggling for respect of the older players, wouldn't that just seem demeaning(sp)?

QuoteLimit the number of clan members that can be in the top ten to 2 (maybe). Once the third makes it to the top ten, he's kicked out of the clan and forced to either join another or start his own.
<_<  that would get really annoying, just to all of a sudden get kicked out of you're clan 'cause you overstepped... it would make the game a little less flexible. but if they would do my clan idea, they could make it so the higher the clan, the less amount of stuff is shared throughout the clan.

Ruatine

Quotethat would get really annoying, just to all of a sudden get kicked out of you're clan 'cause you overstepped... it would make the game a little less flexible. but if they would do my clan idea, they could make it so the higher the clan, the less amount of stuff is shared throughout the clan.

But it would cause a lot of fighting in the top ranks, would it not? And that's what we want, is it not? Your clan idea sounds interesting too, though I can't exactly picture how it would work.

QuoteIf you just started the game, and were struggling for respect of the older players, wouldn't that just seem demeaning(sp)?

Would you rather keep the forums filled with spam and flames like they are now? I think too much emphasis is placed on respect. New players are new players. They always will be. With training, new forum members would be able to communicate what they think about the game more effectively. The way I see it is this: Have a buddy system; pair responsible, intelligent posters with 3 or 4 new forum members to show them the ropes (explain the forums, give basic grammar lessons, brainwash them about how EVIL spam is and, if the new member wishes, show them basic strats for the game too).  
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Peace Alliance

Well, like what was said before. I think the problem was that people start coming on here talking about for example dancing bananna's. so new people come on and see that talking about dancing bananna's must be a cool thing to do, so they start doing it... If everyone would start setting examples... Or if we were to have some more Mod's who could move stuff in the spa room. Talking about all the mumbo jumbo is fine, just put it in the appropriot rooms. keep discussion for business only!

Almkman

Peace about your clan idea.It wouldn't work.The player in first would only want the strongest so he/she wouldn't lose their position so they would only pick the strongest players.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

The Lady Shael

*agrees with Teufel about the extra mods* Ad has been extremely busy lately, what with his schoolwork, and VI. Boze has been off somewhere, Ragefur spends a lot of time at VI, and Stormy and Retto spend a greater deal of time at VI. That leaves practically no one to manage it. We need a mod/admin who won't be distracted by some other thing, who would know how to keep the forums "clean", and who has had some experience with administrating a board. I for one would be happy to do the job, if necessary. *has just posted her resume a sentence back* ^_^  :P  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Almkman

How about me?I'm always here.Except for next week where I'm going to be at camp.I'm active on the forums.I spam less than I did.

Ruatine

*raises hand* I'd be willing to be a mod as well if the admins decide to appoint any more. I'm quite familiar with both the mod cp and the admin cp.

[EDIT] To be frank: If almkman was made a mod on this board I'd probably never come here again. You spam, almkman, though not as much as you used to (probably b/c you got gagged for it). Spam = EVIL

Almkman

Me.Me*waves hand frantically*I'm familiar with being a mod.

Ereptor

I have been a mod and an admin in two forums.  But i don't think admin is looking for someone new.  Besides this topic was not for looking for a new mod.   :sick: sigh.   *walks off*
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Holby

I'd put my hand up if mods were called for, but unfortunately, they're not.
They /are/ required, though.
I hardly ever see Ragefur, and Ad's been around just about never in the past month, while Retto appears too busy for RWL.
*Sighs*
I will not deleted this

Ruatine

QuoteI have been a mod and an admin in two forums. But i don't think admin is looking for someone new. Besides this topic was not for looking for a new mod.  sigh. *walks off*

That's my whole point. You said that the forums are full of spam. I agree and so do several others. The point is: The admins should be either A. Doing their job by upholding the rules of the forums. or B. Appoint someone who has the time to enforce the rules.

Besides people were replying to one of my suggestions of how to make the forums better. It's not like it was off topic since you complained about them.  ;)  

The Lady Shael

I just started an Invision board a couple days ago (Thanks Veranor!!) so I'm pretty familiar with the controls, plus I've adminned(is that a word?) a ton of other boards as well...and well, topics change. I sometimes avoid walking into topics for the first time if they already have two pages, because I very well know the chances of the topic having anything to do with the subject line is rather slim.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.