RIP Shael's laptop

Started by The Lady Shael, October 07, 2011, 09:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

So my laptop finally died last night, from all the abuse it's taken from me over the past two years. "Abuse" meaning, never turning it off, leaving it on in my bed, dropping it on the floor, etc, etc.

It turns on but the screen is black and the caps and scroll lights blink periodically. I looked up the error code on the HP website and if I'm interpreting it correctly it means the CPU is not working. Which makes sense (my laptop could fry an egg).

I think I'm heading to Best Buy today to see if it can be resuscitated or at least if I can save all my files. If you guys have a cheaper suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

Not sure how many alternatives there really are for a case of fried CPU ^_^.

I think you can get a case for a laptop drive that will turn it into essentially an external hard drive, though, so you could probably get your files off yourself assuming the HD survived. Something likethis. I didn't do any price comparing so I am sure they are available cheaper elsewhere. Might be a cheaper option than the store.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Aww.  Poor Shael's laptop

No need to get a full enclosure for the hard drive, one of these doods should work fine - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&CatId=3770

Would avoid Best Buy at all costs, all they'll do is try to sell you a new one - and for fun they'll format your drive. 
My mom took her computer in there while I was in college, she even signed a little form saying "DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE", they wiped it anyhow.  All it had was a bad stick of ram, they shipped it off anyways.  Would have taken them 5 min to pull a stick of ram off the shelf and put it in.  Took them two weeks _and_ they formatted the hdd.  Irritated me quite a bit.
Never shop there except in emergencies and always avoid their repair service like the plague.  There are local stores that actually fix computers.
And unless you're desperate for a new machine, there are better, cheaper places to buy with much larger selections
[/minirant]

But yeah. 
I think its time to call it on that laptop, harddrive should be easily removable with maybe a screw or two. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

The Lady Shael

Just an update...

My dad took it to a local computer shop and we were able to get all my files onto an external drive in just 20 min for $20. Definitely not going to put any effort into trying to fix it though.

I'm looking into Lenovo or Asus laptops right now, probably will get one within the next week. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know =D
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Kilkenne

RIP things will never bee the same again, let us mourn this horrific loss of posting potential.

Also, I have an ASUS refurb and it was dirt cheap and gets the job done.

Yellow Eyes

Come on Shael, build your own. Live a little. Piece it together.